DavethePanther

Why Carolina's Defense will Be Different in 2013

I wasn't impressed with the Eagle's game, but then again it is only preseason. No game planning, half effort, scripted plays regardless of situation, etc.

Dave should have made this same topic with the same title, and posted just two words in it:

Luke. Kuechly.

Luke Kuechly was simply unstoppable. I always see him and think about how I thought he was going to be wearing an Eagles uniform. It's just something about MLB studs that I gravitate too. But I am more then satisfied with Fletcher Cox. Cox is a beast.

Edited by dutchff7

28 of the Panthers 34 points came from defense or special teams, lol.

But yeah, the offense isn't worrying at all. :nope:

Star looked good too.

But Carolina's run game should be a concern. They have money and names there, but I'm not sure the production is there anymore.

Star looked good too.

But Carolina's run game should be a concern. They have money and names there, but I'm not sure the production is there anymore.

I've got to agree that the running game is a concern, especially considering the amount of money that has been tied up to that position.

- DeAngelo Williams did restructure his deal, and it is now very cap friendly through 2015. His restructured salary gives us a cap hit of $5 million this season, and in 2014 and 2015 his base salary is $1.85 million (down from $5.75 million in 2014 and $6.75 million in 2015). So personally I see DeAngelo remaining on the roster until 2015, even if he ends up becoming the second choice running back.

- Mike Tolbert is well worth the money he's being paid. He gives us a good scoring threat. I think he'll remain on the roster for the remainder of his contract.

- Jonathan Stewart is on borrowed time if he continues to struggle with injuries. Last season it hindered him, and his return this season is not yet known. If he doesn't come back from this injury strong, he could end up being cut or traded (not sure who would take on his contract if he doesn't come back strong from his current injury).

For me, I don't see Stewart remaining with the Panthers for the long term. I see them getting rid of him, and then drafting a new running back to become the main guy - unless Kenjon Barner can step up and become the Panthers' new number #1 guy.

Kuechly looked fantastic in the game. I have very few doubts (barring injury) that he doesn't have yet another great season in his sophomore campaign this year. Seems like the complete package that teams look for in a linebacker these days. Even being a Falcons fan, I still sit and can't wait to see what type of show the kid runs matched up against guys like Gonzalez and Graham this coming year. (Then again, being in the middle, he may not matchup on them too often either)

Panthers finally got themselves a stud. If I were anyone in Carolina though, I'd be pretty worried about how the offense has looked in all three of their preseason outings so far. They just haven't moved the ball well at all. The times they were moving the ball, it just looked sloppy to me. Everyone continues to say that if the Panthers are going to find success then Cam Newton is going to have to perform like the player he was drafted to be, this may be true. I think he may have to perform better than what people are hoping for him at this point. He's going to have to play unworldly this year for the Panthers to have major success.