Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phailadelphia

Is this Fox News' most embarrasing interview yet?

Guest Phailadelphia

via Buzzfeed.

We've seen plenty of nonsense out of that network but holy. fucking. shit. This one has to take the cake, right?

Not Really. I did not really see anything that was all that offensive. I mean I did not see any real attack on Christianity or Islam. The only thing referenced I think is the fact that a critic said that it was perpetuating muslim beliefs. She just regurgitated, not really stamping her seal of approval on it.

IF that is the whole thing than no, I dont find it embarrassing, outrageous, or sensational about this video. Actually as far as book critiques go this one was pretty routine. I have seen childrens books garner more spirited debates tbh.

Out of curiosity though what specific parts did you think were outlandish, maybe I missed something contextual ?

Not Really. I did not really see anything that was all that offensive. I mean I did not see any real attack on Christianity or Islam. The only thing referenced I think is the fact that a critic said that it was perpetuating muslim beliefs. She just regurgitated, not really stamping her seal of approval on it.

IF that is the whole thing than no, I dont find it embarrassing, outrageous, or sensational about this video. Actually as far as book critiques go this one was pretty routine. I have seen childrens books garner more spirited debates tbh.

Out of curiosity though what specific parts did you think were outlandish, maybe I missed something contextual ?

Well it's mostly because she asked him stupid questions, not to mention flat out asking "you're a Muslim, why would your write about Jesus?" in the most abrasive manner you could pose the question. More professional news sources would have found a less abrasive way to ask that question, such as, "You've converted back to Islam, so what made you want to write a book about Jesus Christ, the person that Christianity is based on?" Now, I know that all this does is perpetuate how sensitive people are, but she sounded incredibly unprofessional within 50 seconds of the interview.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I guess I can see that in a condescending manner. I thought she was just trying to establish motive. And then he stated what it was and his educational credentials. I dont know.

More professional news sources

I just wanted to highlight this. While I'm no fan of FOX or any major news outlet, they are professional. They are doing what they know will bring them viewership and followers. Yellow journalism, as awful as it is, has become the main and most popular form of journalism. It's repulsive to people who can gather information independently of places that rely on such practices, but it works and most Americans buy into it.

Most embarrassing? LMAO. Hell no. Faaaaaaaaar from it.

Don't get me wrong, the interview was hilariously bad. The question, I didn't think, was a terrible one... But for maybe the first time ever, Bware is right... It was just an incredibly stupid way to put it. The interviewer didn't do the author justice, and was more worried about trying to stir the pot or get a controversial answer out of him rather than just reporting the news and making for an interesting story. She wanted to paint him into a certain light and he wouldn't let her -- good for him.

Still not the most embarrassing though. Heck, I dunno if this is embarrassing at all -- because this is what they do to practically all of their guests. Absolutely nothing new from this video.

EDIT -- Although this interview did succeed in making me want to search out more info on this author, his book, and his studies. :yep:

Edited by Favre4Ever

Guest Phailadelphia

It's not really offensive at all and that's not what I was getting at. It's just sheer stupidity which yes, I know it's what we've come to expect from Fox, but to me this is on another level. The author's religion does not and should not have any bearing on the book. It's a historical, academic work written by a guy with a PhD in some aspect of religion and teaches sociology of religion at a university. But this lady can't get off the fact that he's a Muslim, which contributes nothing to what could have been a great intellectual discussion on the historical facts of Christ. (Like this: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-17-2013/exclusive---reza-aslan-extended-interview-pt--1)

I wasn't going to post this video until a couple of adamant Fox News viewers I'm unfortunately FB friends with posted it and praised the anchor doing the interview. When people call the GOP the "party of stupid" this is exactly what they're talking about. Just this morning I saw a Facebook post by a distant relative with a picture of Obama holding a book titled "The Post-American World," written by a "fellow Muslim." This picture is supposed to be some kind of proof that a) Obama is a Muslim, and b) Obama hates America.

The GOP and Fox News have become bastions of anti-intellectualism. Is this interview anything if not misleading? The only point the network wanted out of it was to try to rile up a Muslim and their viewers probably got their jollies out of it. Do you think CNN, MSNBC, BBC, or anyone else would have allowed an interview like this to go on? And most of Republican media is following their lead. Have you seen anything different come out of places like RedState, Drudge, or The Daily Caller? The only conservative news outlet I can stand to read anymore is The American Conservative because they don't participate in this bullshit.

I guess I just dislike it so much because it perpetuates stupidity and anti-intellectualism, which is something that genuinely bothers me.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Guest Phailadelphia

Reza Aslan is doing an AMA on Reddit right now:

Edit: lol Amazon customer reviews.

*amazon verified purchase*

I bought this book and then I read it before I threw it away.

"Zealot: The life and times of Jesus of Nazrath" says many wrong things, it says that Jesus is not a walking god, jesus was not born from a virgin and didn't rise from the dead, and other RADICULUS things any smart person would know is a lie.

Why would somebody say bad things about God? Hrm, I wonder if its because there's a certain TERRORIST plot against the usa? You think? Here's the truth the lamestream media ignores: Zealot is written by a MUSLIM. What next, Obama writing a book about the tea party revolution? Sorry, nobody will touch it. Besides Rand Paul is going to write that final chapter in 2016!

Edited by Phailadelphia

Indeed, that is a great read Phail.