BLUE

Update: MRI confirms Dan Koppen has ACL tear

Per Rotoworld.com:

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports the Broncos fear C Dan Koppen tore his ACL during Sunday's training camp practice.

He's undergoing a Sunday afternoon MRI to confirm the injury's extent. Koppen was carted off the field in team drills. Re-signed in June after penciled-in starter J.D. Walton underwent a significant ankle surgery, Koppen was essentially Denver's fallback plan. They may now have to turn to a No. 3 center. The top free agent Cs available are Jeff Faine, Eugene Amano, and Jason Brown. Jul 28 - 3:17 PM

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Edited by BLUE

This is actually good for the Broncos, trust me guys there is no way there is a flaw in this team... ever.

/"crashing".

Edited by Ngata_Chance

Per Rotoworld.com:

A Sunday MRI confirmed Broncos C Dan Koppen has a torn left ACL and will miss the 2013 season.

Koppen turns 34 in September and was only signed out of desperation in June by the Broncos. The ACL tear could end his ten-year career. Denver may have to get creative at center after losing both Koppen and J.D. Walton (ankle surgeries). Old Peyton Manning pal Jeff Saturday was awful in Green Bay last year and has retired. Uninspiring in-house options include Manny Ramirez, Philip Blake, Quentin Saulsberry. Saulsberry was arrested for DUI in May. Jul 28 - 3:59 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Phillip Blake was really supposed to step up, but I guess he's looking more like Danny Watkins than Nick Mangold.

This is actually good for the Broncos, trust me guys there is no way there is a flaw in this team... ever.

/"crashing".

It leaves us without our top center(Walton) and top backup(koppen). Koppen wasn't spectacular last year, finishing the season as the 22nd best center. We have some high rated young talent with Phillip Blake and Quentin Saulsberry who will now be looked at to see if they can step up, if not we may have to look at Brandon Moore or Jason brown as potential fillins until Walton is back from injury.

You can hate Denver all you want but this is definitely our first chink in the armor

Edited by Crash

Its not really Denver that I hate. And if this is your only weak spot you see it just kind of proves what I am talking about, but its cool breh.

Its not really Denver that I hate. And if this is your only weak spot you see it just kind of proves what I am talking about, but its cool breh.

You'll see when the playing starts. You'll see what Elway and company have continued to build and the players they have sat and developed.

I'm just sorry that we won't have the really tough teams to play this year. I'd much rather be playing the bengals and the NFC west instead of the ravens and NFC east

Edited by Crash

Phillip Blake was really supposed to step up, but I guess he's looking more like Danny Watkins than Nick Mangold.

We have other potential stars in the making, Quentin Saulsberry was a high rated center coming out of Mississippi state and Justin boren is a talent C/G from Ohio state

Stop triple posting. :smug:

Watch this:

You'll see when the playing starts. You'll see what Elway and company have continued to build and the players they have sat and developed.

Learn

It leaves us without our top center(Walton) and top backup(koppen). Koppen wasn't spectacular last year, finishing the season as the 22nd best center. We have some high rated young talent with Phillip Blake and Quentin Saulsberry who will now be looked at to see if they can step up, if not we may have to look at Brandon Moore or Jason brown as potential fillins until Walton is back from injury.

You can hate Denver all you want but this is definitely our first chink in the armor

Edited by Bay
  • Upvote 1

"First chink in the armor..." Lol.

"First chink in the armor..." Lol.

I know you chargers fans are holding out hope but I'm telling you now. Everyone is in for a serious surprise, this years Denver team is going to be much much better then last years and training camp has done nothing but strengthen my views of the broncos. We are stronger at some positions then I could have even hoped for

Edited by Crash

We have other potential stars in the making, Quentin Saulsberry was a high rated center coming out of Mississippi state and Justin boren is a talent C/G from Ohio state

Haha Justin Boren, you mean the same dude that was so talented he went undrafted and then could not get a practice squad appearance with the Ravens a couple of years ago when the Ravens knew this was Birk's last year...that Justin Boren ?

I know you chargers fans are holding out hope but I'm telling you now. Everyone is in for a serious surprise, this years Denver team is going to be much much better then last years and training camp has done nothing but strengthen my views of the broncos. We are stronger at some positions then I could have even hoped for

Training camp is strengthening your views because you're bound and determined to interpret EVERYTHING as benefiting Denver- no matter how obviously it doesn't. That's why no one takes you seriously. You're not operating in reality.

Haha Justin Boren, you mean the same dude that was so talented he went undrafted and then could not get a practice squad appearance with the Ravens a couple of years ago when the Ravens knew this was Birk's last year...that Justin Boren ?

No, I believe he's referring to the All-Pro talent Justin Boren who everyone in the league overlooked except Elway. Good ol' John has that camp chuck full of elite talent. All 90 guys are heading for Hawaii. You could field a playoff team with their roster cuts.

Lose your starting center for the season? Not an issue. Lose your best player for 4 games? No problem. Lose your 2nd best pass rusher to a fax debacle? All part of the plan.

Steve Vallos - G - Broncos Broncos signed OL Steve Vallos, formerly of the Jaguars.

29-year-old Vallos is a journeyman guard/center type. Denver is very thin at center after losing Dan Koppen (ACL tear) and J.D. Walton (ankle surgeries.

Training camp is strengthening your views because you're bound and determined to interpret EVERYTHING as benefiting Denver- no matter how obviously it doesn't. That's why no one takes you seriously. You're not operating in reality.

Why shouldn't I think every move strengthens our team? Since Elway has taken over we went from a bottom of the barrel 4-12 team with not a lot of talent to a Super Bowl favorite with one of the deepest rosters in the league who finished last year in the top 5 of both offense and defense and then added more talent in the offseason. Elway has been one of the top draft evaluators in the league and has crushed draft after draft, there's no reason that I shouldn't expect us to be the best team in the league and for our draft picks to continue to strengthen our roster

No, I believe he's referring to the All-Pro talent Justin Boren who everyone in the league overlooked except Elway. Good ol' John has that camp chuck full of elite talent. All 90 guys are heading for Hawaii. You could field a playoff team with their roster cuts.

Lose your starting center for the season? Not an issue. Lose your best player for 4 games? No problem. Lose your 2nd best pass rusher to a fax debacle? All part of the plan.

Not all great players are drafted high, you automatically discard a guy like boren just because he wasn't drafted but was rated as a mid round pick last year. Tony carter was a UDFA who bounced around different teams, Chris Harris was undrafted and he was the 4th bet cb in football last year. Your biggest weapon on your team was a UDFA and is expected to be leaned on in the passing game. Draft selection means absolutely nothing if you can evaluate talent and continue to find talented players who are willing to work just as hard if not harder then a teams high draft picks.

Von miller won't be suspended. He didnt fail a drug test, he missed a meeting or test because he was in Afghanistan with a couple other players visiting the troops.

Dumervil was our second best pass rusher but by far our worst defensive lineman. His 10 sacks will be picked up by a handful of other players set in a rotation. Being a charger fan I wouldn't be talking to much crap, your team isn't exactly a great matchup at all for Denver

Not all great players are drafted high, you automatically discard a guy like boren just because he wasn't drafted but was rated as a mid round pick last year. Tony carter was a UDFA who bounced around different teams, Chris Harris was undrafted and he was the 4th bet cb in football last year. Your biggest weapon on your team was a UDFA and is expected to be leaned on in the passing game. Draft selection means absolutely nothing if you can evaluate talent and continue to find talented players who are willing to work just as hard if not harder then a teams high draft picks.

Von miller won't be suspended. He didnt fail a drug test, he missed a meeting or test because he was in Afghanistan with a couple other players visiting the troops.

Dumervil was our second best pass rusher but by far our worst defensive lineman. His 10 sacks will be picked up by a handful of other players set in a rotation. Being a charger fan I wouldn't be talking to much crap, your team isn't exactly a great matchup at all for Denver

I'm realistic about my team. I know they probably finish behind Denver, and best case scenario push for a WC spot. I'm realistic because I don't delude mysel into thinking everything that happens favors the Chargers. You're hilarious to read because you twist and contort everything to look as though it helps the Broncos. Peyton Manning could break his neck and you'd be here to tell everything why that probably nets Denver an extra win. It's genuinely amusing.

I'm realistic about my team. I know they probably finish behind Denver, and best case scenario push for a WC spot. I'm realistic because I don't delude mysel into thinking everything that happens favors the Chargers. You're hilarious to read because you twist and contort everything to look as though it helps the Broncos. Peyton Manning could break his neck and you'd be here to tell everything why that probably nets Denver an extra win. It's genuinely amusing.

And what points would that be? That we let our worst run defender go? We lost the 22nd ranked center from last year? What huge problems have I stated would get denver more wins? We replaced Dumervil with a player who got the same amount of QB pressure last year by percentage and is a above average run defender. Dumervil couldn't stop the run to save his life so obviously that's a upgrade. We lost a bottom half of the league center, whoopty do! I'm sorry I'm not collapsing to the ground with desperation over a center who was basically retired. Why don't you actually look into Denver's young centers and then you'd realize that they're not bums just because they were undrafted or late rounders. I'm optimistic about our moves because I try to find as much info as I can about every player, I know more about our 4th string center then half the fans on this forum know about there starting center. I'm sorry I have just worked harder to know every scrap of info about my team

And what points would that be? That we let our worst run defender go? We lost the 22nd ranked center from last year? What huge problems have I stated would get denver more wins? We replaced Dumervil with a player who got the same amount of QB pressure last year by percentage and is a above average run defender. Dumervil couldn't stop the run to save his life so obviously that's a upgrade. We lost a bottom half of the league center, whoopty do! I'm sorry I'm not collapsing to the ground with desperation over a center who was basically retired. Why don't you actually look into Denver's young centers and then you'd realize that they're not bums just because they were undrafted or late rounders. I'm optimistic about our moves because I try to find as much info as I can about every player, I know more about our 4th string center then half the fans on this forum know about there starting center. I'm sorry I have just worked harder to know every scrap of info about my team

Correction- You've worked harder than everyone else to convince yourself that the Broncos will turn any and every scrub into pure gold. In other words, you've worked harder than anyone else to end up disappointed in what will actually be a very good team because you're deluded into thinking no one can beat them.

A realistic Denver fan at least recognizes the potential for issues at RE, MLB, SS, RB, C, and TE. Are all of those going to be problem positions? No, obviously not. Are they all going to be solved by the likes of Ayers, Irving, Adams, Hillman, Ramirez, and Thompson like you so homeristically predict? Nope- the NFL doesn't work that way. Some will pan out- others won't.

What would you be saying to me if I was touting how great Larry English and Ryan Mathews are going to be this year because they're having good camps? Would you nod along if I said Kendall Reyes (who outplayed Derek Wolfe by a wide margin last year) is going to be as good as J.J. Watt? Are you going to cosign if I try to argue that losing Melvin Ingram with an injury was the best thing for the Chargers and makes them better? How about if I start calling for a great season out of our 6th round pass rusher? Going to buy that? I think you'd (hypocritically) call me a homer because, while any one those things are technically possible, none of them are probable. I recognize that about my team, and my point here is that you're blind to the same thing when it comes to yours.

I think Manny, Manram, Ramirez will be capable of holding down that position. Pass pro should get a little easier on him, and he was the Broncos' best inside run blocker towards the end of the season last year. I don't think very much of J.D. Walton, and Koppen was retiring. I'm not devastated.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Insiders Broncos C Ryan Lilja underwent microfracture knee surgery in the offseason.

Per Schefter, the Broncos "didn't realize" Lilja had the major surgery until they approached him about replacing Dan Koppen. Lilja is going on 32, an age at which any major knee repair would be especially concerning. Lilja is practicing fully in camp, however, and remains on track to be Denver's Week 1 center.