Sign in to follow this  
Bucman

Browns, I mean Broncos, trade for John Moffitt

The Cleveland Browns have made a move to address the injuries hitting at the interior of their offensive line.

The team acquired guard/center John Moffitt from the Seattle Seahawks on Monday in exchange for defensive lineman Brian Sanford.

"John's a tough and versatile lineman who will be in the mix for us upfront," said Browns coach Rob Chudzinski.

Moffitt, 26, gives the Browns another option at guard following injuries to Shawn Lauvao (ankle surgery) and Jason Pinkston (high ankle sprain). Both Lauvao and Pinkston are expected to be sidelined into the regular season, making Moffitt a favorite to open the season as a starter.

Moffitt started 15 games over the last two seasons for the Seahawks, including six in 2012.

Overall, he's pretty much a league average guard. His versatility may be a bit overblown. He was a backup center, but was made so during the season last year. He was still the 3rd string center behind Unger and Lemuel Jean-Pierre.

Not a bad get for Cleveland. He wasn't particularly injury prone. Occasionally flash quality. Not horrible in pass pro. Not a terrific athlete or particularly skilled at pulling.

Honestly, I think it was a case of Seattle wanting to put a player that wasn't going to make the team in a situation where he could have a good chance of continuing his career in a good place. John Schneider has done that on multiple occasions where we in essence trade quality players for camp bodies in return. It does have the effect of giving Seattle legitimacy going forward when they deal with players in the future. We've had significant success in getting UFAs to sign for under market value with the promise to feature them on 'show me' 1 year deals.

I should add, that Moffitt would have made this team if we didn't have multiple rookies come in and warrant a roster spot. He was a part time starter for us last year and likely could have been this year too. But we have 5 guards currently who share that distinction now. This move was undoubtedly done for the players sole benefit. There is no way Sanford makes our team and may not even make the cut down to 75.

I should add, this dude is comedy gold. He's without a doubt the most entertaining interview in the league. He has the chops to do TV in a big way. When his playing days are over, he's not going to sit on the couch for long.

Edited by Attyla the Hawk

He was definetely injury prone. IR'ed early his rookie year and missed a bunch of the next. Pissed and tweeted away a SB ring. 'Grats.

Edited by BC

He was definetely injury prone. IR'ed early his rookie year and missed a bunch of the next. Pissed and tweeted away a SB ring. 'Grats.

I wasn't aware the Super Bowl had already been played.

loljk.

NFL voided Cleveland's acquisition of OG John Moffitt from the Seahawks in exchange for DL Brian Sanford.

Moffitt failed his physical, and his rights have reverted to the Seahawks. Sanford's rights have reverted to the Browns. Considering Cleveland's issues at guard, their examination of Moffitt must have turned up something major. It's unclear what the Seahawks plan to do with Moffitt, but he could be waived.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

Broncos acquired OG John Moffitt from the Seahawks in exchange for DT Sealver Siliga.

A bum knee voided Moffitt's trade to Cleveland, but the Broncos are apparently willing to take a chance on his health. Moffitt has made 15 career starts, but will come off the bench behind Zane Beadles and Louis Vasquez in Denver. That's if he can get healthy. It's worth noting that Moffitt played some center in college. Ryan Lilja is currently penciled in, but center is a major question mark for the Broncos.

Sealver is a decent player, but he'd struggle to make our 53. So... good for us I guess?

Sealver is a decent player, but he'd struggle to make our 53. So... good for us I guess?

I'd say so. I looked at Moffitt really hard coming out of Wisconsin. Liked him. Good depth with some upside.

I'd say so. I looked at Moffitt really hard coming out of Wisconsin. Liked him. Good depth with some upside.

I'm really big on Moffit. Big man with some power to move people off the ball. Elway definitely doesn't like the small offensive lineman shanny favored. Elway wants earth movers

I'm really big on Moffit. Big man with some power to move people off the ball. Elway definitely doesn't like the small offensive lineman shanny favored. Elway wants earth movers

I think you'll be disappointed in that regard. Moffit isn't a real road grater type. He does a good job of engaging and most often will produce effective stalemates. He has some occasional good push in the run game. He did well for us at the goal line. But overall, he didn't produce a lot of 'look at that block' kinds of plays.

He's a blue collar scrapper. Physically, he's kind of the Dave Kreig of guards. But he is otherwise a sound player.

Well... you could do a lot worse than Dave Krieg.

Whatever you think of him, he's versatile and better backup than what Denver had previously. Vasquez has balky knees. My guess is that his scare in the last game prompted this move. 2012 was the first time in his career that Louis made it through 16 games without a knee injury.

I think you'll be disappointed in that regard. Moffit isn't a real road grater type. He does a good job of engaging and most often will produce effective stalemates. He has some occasional good push in the run game. He did well for us at the goal line. But overall, he didn't produce a lot of 'look at that block' kinds of plays.

He's a blue collar scrapper. Physically, he's kind of the Dave Kreig of guards. But he is otherwise a sound player.

That will be a upgrade over what we have had for years. Love that Elway is shipping out all these undersized guys and he is getting us bigger and stronger in the trenches. Beadles better look out

Whatever you think of him, he's versatile and better backup than what Denver had previously. Vasquez has balky knees. My guess is that his scare in the last game prompted this move. 2012 was the first time in his career that Louis made it through 16 games without a knee injury.

It's not just Vasquez, Beadles is not this impressive guard that people think he is. Moffit is great depth behind Vasquez and I could really see him beating beadles out at the LG spot sometime this year

Beadles wasn't great but he showed improvement last year. Hopefully he continues to show that improvement. But reality isn't sunshine and touchdowns.

Beadles wasn't great but he showed improvement last year. Hopefully he continues to show that improvement. But reality isn't sunshine and touchdowns.

Exactly, there were times he looked good last year but lets be honest, he still struggles in pass protection, still struggles to move people off the ball in one on one battles and doesn't fit the new style of player we are building at offensive line.