BLUE

Cowboys lock up MLB Sean Lee through 2019

Sorry for the typo. Fixed now, and I do watch cowboys games. I've seen nothing ever to suggest Sean Lee deserves the credit you all are giving him. He's good, not great. Can't seem to stay healthy. If he wasn't on the Cowboys he wouldn't be given this much credit.

lol, you fucking suck, Jayrus.

I don't give two fucks about the Cowboys, but any time I've watched a Dallas game I've usually been impressed by Lee.

Post I made a couple of years ago...

And I'd totally call homer on Phail (y'know that's the routine for a Dallas fan saying his own player should win an award :shifty:),but shit man... I've gotten a chance to watch Sean Lee play a bit, and he's been pretty fucking impressive. That dude is GOOD.

No he's not just good, he's great.

And since you love the tackle stat, he made 21 tackles against your Seahawks last season. lol

And for reference so you can finally shut the fuck up

BSSgv-mCQAEGmP3.jpg

You're out of your element, Jayrus. Stingsbro.

Now, see this here? This is an actual counter-argument. all I've seen before is "Sean Lee is elite because we say he is" with nothing to back it up. Why would I believe a word of it based on that? Bring me some stats and I'm more than happy to listen. Thank you for stepping up Mathias. I still don't think he's "elite" per se, but he's definitely a force on your defense. In my mind "Elite" means one of the best at the position EVER and Sean Lee is not in any way that. At least not yet. In the future? Who knows.

Edited by Jayrus
  • Upvote 1

I'll take the con position.

I'd pose the question: Do you need a Sean Lee? I mean we could look at the following 2nd round LBs in the last couple years:

2013:

Manti Te'o

Kevin Minter

Kiko Alonso

Jon Bostic

Jaime Collins

Arthur Brown

2012:

Courtney Upshaw

Mychal Kendricks

Bobby Wagner

Zach Brown

Lavonte David

A few of these guys are simply better than Lee is. Our guy Bobby Wagner has more tackles in his rookie year than Lee does in his entire 3 year career. In fact, pretty close to every draft does have multiple Sean Lee's, and you don't have to spend first round picks to get them. Lee was a good draft choice. I'm not criticizing the pick. But he's not an outlier talent for a 2nd round pick. He's good yes. But there are a lot of good LBs available in that range.

It's a dumb signing. Not the actual resign. But the dollars are stupid. Teams can't pay everyone. Lee is a pretty generic LB, even when you prorate his stats. You simply don't pay LBs that kind of money unless they rush the passer.

Sean Lee likely doesn't get that kind of cash on the open market. And if he does, you should be prepared to let them walk. He doesn't have 7M/yr impact for your club. He's a good, not great player. That's overpaying by a good 3M/year.

Teams stay middle of the pack when they commit silly dollars to non impact players. Especially injury ridden non impact players. Although to be fair, Dallas kind of sucks at the draft and institutionally doesn't value day 2/3 selections. Which is good because they don't do well there. Ultimately, Sean Lee should be acceptably replaceable by a round 3 or later draftee. That replacement won't be Lee's equal. But he'll provide value that in the scope of building a roster is satisfactory.

Lee's contract is going to have a cost elsewhere on the roster. That cost isn't immediately known. Which makes the contract appear 'good'. Because right now it's judged in a vacuum. The end result will be fans a couple years down the line wondering why the Cowboys always seem to underachieve. Because those costs of overpaying on non impact players come home to roost. Leaving teams unable to shore up their team where holes develop and unable to recoup dead money/cap relief for players who don't produce relative to their contracts. I'm very doubtful that even a healthy Lee warrants that contract. If that contract is front loaded at 6/30M I'd probably agree it was a good deal.

It's a poison contract in my mind.

S.Lee is a Very good LB and is soon to be a GREAT LB. I know I know IF he can stay healthy Is he Elite? NO !!!! But I think he very well could be. It was a good move by Jerry to lock him up. He is a Football gym rat that will be the Leader of this D for years to come. I know I know if he can stay healthy!!! Now Jerry needs to lockup DEZ and B.Carter. Has Jerry done some bad contracts?? Yes sir! But this S.Lee one ? AHHHHHHHH NO!

There aren't many LB's better than Sean Lee right now but the guy hasn't been able to stay healthy even in college. I never wish injuries on players...even Cowboys players but I hope for Dallas' sake he can stay healthy. Plus he's a PSU alum so best of luck to the guy.

• Upvote 1

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Dallas Morning News names WLB Sean Lee's contract one of the three worst on the team.
It's hard to disagree. Lee inked a seven-year, $42 million deal in August 2013 and has appeared in just 11-of-32 regular-season games because of various injuries in 2013 and a torn ACL in 2014. When on the field, Lee was worth the money. But he's no longer expected to man the middle for the Cowboys, and will instead shift to the weak side in DC Rod Marinelli's scheme. The Cowboys will hope to bring back impending free agent MLB Rolando McClain. Cutting Lee isn't an option, as the Cowboys would take on a $9 million-plus dead money hit. Jan 28 - 9:49 AM

lol @ all the Cowboys fans slurping Sean Lee in this thread. Didn't see much of a drop off with Rolando McClain in there this year. :lol:

And if you haven't heard of Lavonte David or Bobby Wagner, there's really no point in even arguing with you. Both are better players than Lee.

Lee is a great linebacker, but $7 million per year for an injury-prone player? I dunno.

rickrossdrink.gif

• Upvote 1

It's a good contract for a great player. It may take till 2019 for Sean Lee to play 16 games though.

lol @ all the Cowboys fans slurping Sean Lee in this thread. Didn't see much of a drop off with Rolando McClain in there this year. :lol:

And if you haven't heard of Lavonte David or Bobby Wagner, there's really no point in even arguing with you. Both are better players than Lee.

Maybe because Rolando McClain is pretty good? Most fans know McClain was a top talent. He just couldn't get his life together.

Maybe because Rolando McClain is pretty good? Most fans know McClain was a top talent. He just couldn't get his life together.

He got a lot of playing time in Oakland and was nothing too special.

He got a lot of playing time in Oakland and was nothing too special.

Keyword

• Upvote 1