AL_Royalty

Are 11-6 Chiefs for real?

Yea, I'm not really sold on the Chiefs yet as one of the better teams in the league. Obviously they are much improved, but for me its more of just a case of waiting and seeing.

The Chiefs are a good team, but I think they will struggle against the more elite teams in the league. I see them pushing for a playoff spot but not necessarily getting in.

It sounds like a lot of you are of the mindset that it's nice they've won a few games, but they still really haven't done anything. I suppose that's fair. I would ask you this though: who are the elite teams right now, based on what we've seen so far this season?

if it's Denver, remember that they've played one 2-win team so far, a winless Giants team, an Eagles team who hasn't won since week 1, and the lolRaiders.

If it's NE then I give you.Buffalo, the Jets, the 1-3 Falcons, and that mess of a team in Tampa Bay.

Obviiously both of those teams are very good teams with great passers, but my point is that strength os schedule is not necessarily indicative of talent level.. I'm not saying that these boys are Super Bowl ready just yet, but I'm not gonna dismiss them either. There are a lot of people that think if Alex Smith was the QB in SF at the end of last season, they would be champs today. This K.C. Team is very similar to that one, with more playmakers on offense.

With a pass rush like they have right now, they can beat anyone on any day. It's nasssssssty stuff. The secondary is sured up, and the offense is actually pretty underrated. This is a good team.

Edited by B-isforBowe

It sounds like a lot of you are of the mindset that it's nice they've won a few games, but they still really haven't done anything. I suppose that's fair. I would ask you this though: who are the elite teams right now, based on what we've seen so far this season?

if it's Denver, remember that they've played one 2-win team so far, a winless Giants team, an Eagles team who hasn't won since week 1, and the lolRaiders.

If it's NE then I give you.Buffalo, the Jets, the 1-3 Falcons, and that mess of a team in Tampa Bay.

Obviiously both of those teams are very good teams with great passers, but my point is that strength os schedule is not necessarily indicative of talent level.. I'm not saying that these boys are Super Bowl ready just yet, but I'm not gonna dismiss them either. There are a lot of people that think if Alex Smith was the QB in SF at the end of last season, they would be champs today. This K.C. Team is very similar to that one, with more playmakers on offense.

With a pass rush like they have right now, they can beat anyone on any day. It's nasssssssty stuff. The secondary is sured up, and the offense is actually pretty underrated. This is a good team.

I think everyone recognizes it's a good team. Just not going to put them in that top tier with Alex "checkdown" Smith at quarterback. This is a quarterback league, and the position is arguably one of the weakest on the Kansas City roster. There's plenty of evidence to demonstrate that when you have to ask Smith to win you games by making downfield plays, things don't go well.

I think everyone recognizes it's a good team. Just not going to put them in that top tier with Alex "checkdown" Smith at quarterback. This is a quarterback league, and the position is arguably one of the weakest on the Kansas City roster. There's plenty of evidence to demonstrate that when you have to ask Smith to win you games by making downfield plays, things don't go well.

Up until that one time, when he was asked to win the game against the Saints in the playoffs... He did a pretty good job that one time. Like I said, he's not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but he's not Matt Cassel or Tyler Palko either.

That being said, not much has changed about the way I view him. He's just got to be good enough. Right now he looks the part. Also, do you still think that 10 wins is such a huge stretch?

I'll tell you one thing, they ain't getting to 5-0

Haha. Yeah they are. I ain't SCURRRRED of no one in Tennessee.

Up until that one time, when he was asked to win the game against the Saints in the playoffs... He did a pretty good job that one time. Like I said, he's not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but he's not Matt Cassel or Tyler Palko either.

That being said, not much has changed about the way I view him. He's just got to be good enough. Right now he looks the part. Also, do you still think that 10 wins is such a huge stretch?

Chiefs fans are going to have to hope that he has those kind of games in him. Maybe he does. I just don't think so and most of his career says he probably doesn't. But then again, I want to believe that he doesn't so there you go. I will just point this out though- that one game in the 2011 season playoffs that Alex Smith fans hang their hat on (24/42, 57%, 299 yds, 7.1 YPA, 3 TD) came against the same Saints' pass defense that proved to be the worst in NFL history the following 2012 season. During that 2011 season, Josh Freeman and Jake Locker had huge games against that defense.

And no, obviously at 4-0 with their remaining schedule, I don't think it's a huge stretch to project 10 wins for KC. But I still stand by what I said before the season started- it's a stretch to predict that your team will improve in a way that only one other 2-14 team has ever done in the history of 16 game NFL football. Perhaps it's a "stretch" of a prediction that will turn out to be right, but it still flew in the face of the data. If I look back at what I said, it still makes sense to me. And it all still remains to be seen.

All I know is I'm really looking forward to Manning vs that secondary now...something has to give. I think...it'll be the Chiefs that cave, but there's no telling.

Ya.. Chiefs V Broncos should be one (well, two) hell of a game. I hope it doesn't disappoint, but it probably will. Quick, somebody sign this guy...

38.jpg

Chiefs fans are going to have to hope that he has those kind of games in him. Maybe he does. I just don't think so and most of his career says he probably doesn't. But then again, I want to believe that he doesn't so there you go. I will just point this out though- that one game in the 2011 season playoffs that Alex Smith fans hang their hat on (24/42, 57%, 299 yds, 7.1 YPA, 3 TD) came against the same Saints' pass defense that proved to be the worst in NFL history the following 2012 season. During that 2011 season, Josh Freeman and Jake Locker had huge games against that defense.

And no, obviously at 4-0 with their remaining schedule, I don't think it's a huge stretch to project 10 wins for KC. But I still stand by what I said before the season started- it's a stretch to predict that your team will improve in a way that only one other 2-14 team has ever done in the history of 16 game NFL football. Perhaps it's a "stretch" of a prediction that will turn out to be right, but it still flew in the face of the data. If I look back at what I said, it still makes sense to me. And it all still remains to be seen.

I've mentioned in a few other threads how history literally means nothing at this point in the NFL. there's always something that's "never happened," or "only once since the merger" every other week. Nothing is off of the table now, and it's a lot of fun to watch. If they were allowed to hit, too, the NFL would be firing on all cylinders right now.

Definitely think the Chiefs will beat Denver at Arrowhead.

Doubt it. Peyton Manning is not Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I've never met anyone so openly hateful of everything KC. Lol. They'll just keep pissing you off with each and every surprise you thought could never happen.

How does the 5 - 0 Chiefs sound? :sloth2:

Edited by Favre4Ever

Just change your fanhood already Charles4Ever. >_>

I've never met anyone so openly hateful of everything KC. Lol. They'll just keep pissing you off with each and every surprise you thought could never happen.

You troll Rivers and he's a bonafide franchise QB. You're gonna be mad at me for thinking Alex Smith is a farce? I think I'm pretty complimentary of the rest of the talent on that team. And it's just plain perspective to point out that the Titans were at a big disadvantage without their starting quarterback. And that Peyton is an astronomical step up from Ryan Fitzpatrick.

EDIT: I think I have it in writing on this forum from before the season that I think the Chiefs have the best pass rushers, the best secondary, and the best RB in the AFCW.

Edited by KempBolt

Andy Reid is going to be the downfall of the Chiefs.

He tries to use Alex Smith like he's fuckin Tom Brady or some shit. Alex Smith is a game manager and nothing more. If he would rely on a ground-based offense and allowed Smith to manage the game like he did in San Fran, their offense would be much more successful.

The way their offense is right now, it's a bunch of hot garbage. The Titans gave the Chiefs 13 of their points, and another 7 came because the refs extended a drive on a bogus call(there were bogus calls on both teams all game though). If Jake Locker started yesterday I'm not sure it's much of a ballgame for KC as bad as their offense is. The Titans D is incredible and that had some to do with it, but Jamaal Charles and their run game in general was extremely effective, yet like the retard he is, Reid threw it 39 times.

• Upvote 2

It sounds like music to my ears, buddy!

Charles4ever and I might not agree on a whole lot of things. Hell, we're oil and water sometimes. That being said, there's one thing that we can definitely agree on. That is the awesomeness of the Kansas City Chiefs. GO CHIEFS!!!

You troll Rivers and he's a bonafide franchise QB. You're gonna be mad at me for thinking Alex Smith is a farce? I think I'm pretty complimentary of the rest of the talent on that team. And it's just plain perspective to point out that the Titans were at a big disadvantage without their starting quarterback. And that Peyton is an astronomical step up from Ryan Fitzpatrick.

EDIT: I think I have it in writing on this forum from before the season that I think the Chiefs have the best pass rushers, the best secondary, and the best RB in the AFC

First off, I don't troll Rivers. I just don't LIKE Rivers and truly believe that he's one of the most overrated players of this generation. No amount of stats can convince me otherwise. This is not about that.

Secondly, I ain't mad atcha pimp. If you go back and check out the Alex Smith to KC thread, you'll see just how I felt about the Chiefs going after Smith so hard. I used words like "insulted," and many more colorful varieties of angry ranting. He's playing pretty well though, so I'm pleased at the moment. You can call him a farce all you want. Truth be told, you still might be right. Only time will tell, though for now he looks pretty good. He doesn't go downfield as often as some might like, but he's actually shown the ability to do so in certain situations. He's smart, he's careful, and he's athletic—deceptively so. I'm content with him.

Third, no one said that Fitz is Peyton. Fitz is crap, but if not for his out-of-nowhere mobility was the only thing that even made that a game Sunday. Manning will feel heat like he hasn't yet this season when the Chiefs come to town. there's no reason that we can't split with Denver this season. I look forward to the rubber match in January ;)

Fourth of all, you did praise some of the Chiefs. I'm not gonna deny that. I appreciate the fact that you're not a TOTAL hater. You did rate 7 backs over Charles though, inexplicably IMO. Trent Richardson, Ray Rice, CJ Spiller, and CJ 2YPC are all in the AFC, but it is what it is. I'm sure you're reconsidering some of that now.

All that on the table, you're still one of the more fun new posters around these parts in my eyes. You're very stubborn, and so am I. We're gonna butt heads, like, a lot. That doesn't mean I'm mad or anything like that. You're fun to disagree with. You do have a supernatural type of hate for the Chiefs though. It's ok to admit. I have an irrational hatred for the Raiders. EA Sports homie: It's in the game.

P.S. Is that new sig one of Rivers awful, awful picks from last night? : P

• Upvote 1

He tries to use Alex Smith like he's fuckin Tom Brady or some shit. Alex Smith is a game manager and nothing more. If he would rely on a ground-based offense and allowed Smith to manage the game like he did in San Fran, their offense would be much more successful.

The way their offense is right now, it's a bunch of hot garbage. The Titans gave the Chiefs 13 of their points, and another 7 came because the refs extended a drive on a bogus call(there were bogus calls on both teams all game though). If Jake Locker started yesterday I'm not sure it's much of a ballgame for KC as bad as their offense is. The Titans D is incredible and that had some to do with it, but Jamaal Charles and their run game in general was extremely effective, yet like the retard he is, Reid threw it 39 times.

Pump the brakes there, bud. How many carries do you think Charles should get, exactly? He had 22 yesterday to go along with 5 catches for almost 150 yards and a touchdown. I don't see the problem there. I also have no problem with SMith throwing 39 times, considering that the best back in the AFC got 27 touches. Reid actually was not the problem, the was I saw it.

They had penalties and were forced to throw in some long yardage situations. I was good with the gameplan. Smith missed some easy throws, which also aided in making this game closer than it should have been. This team is fueled by defense though, and they play it very well. If not for Fitzpatrick summoning the spirit of Steve McNair with his unforeseen scrambling ability, that game would not have been close.

Your defense is the real deal, but so is this Chiefs team.

• Upvote 1

Pump the brakes there, bud. How many carries do you think Charles should get, exactly? He had 22 yesterday to go along with 5 catches for almost 150 yards and a touchdown. I don't see the problem there. I also have no problem with SMith throwing 39 times, considering that the best back in the AFC got 27 touches. Reid actually was not the problem, the was I saw it.

They had penalties and were forced to throw in some long yardage situations. I was good with the gameplan. Smith missed some easy throws, which also aided in making this game closer than it should have been. This team is fueled by defense though, and they play it very well. If not for Fitzpatrick summoning the spirit of Steve McNair with his unforeseen scrambling ability, that game would not have been close.

5 of Charles carries came when the Chiefs were trying to drain clock and just kick a field goal. I dunno how you can be happy with the play calling when Alex Smith is clearly incapable of moving an offense up and down the field himself. He has no business throwing 39 passes. The way Smith is playing is not going to allow the Chiefs to beat good teams. They've been fortunate enough to play 3 garbage teams, the Cowboys and then a team without it's starting QB.

The defense is great, but it's not going to get it done by itself as Alex Smith continually fails to lead the offense efficiently. Reid needs to switch the passing attempts with the rushing attempts.

I do generally agree that the gameplan was a bit flipped.. I would much rather run on the Titans than throw on them. I would like to see more from Knile Davis and Cyrus Gray.

However, Andy has been pretty in control of his playbook so far this year. 50 / 50 or there about, which is a pretty big change from his 60-40 in Philly most of his tenure. I also agree that I would like to see Alex be even more efficient with his throws. Not that I think he is doing poorly.. But if he could just step it up one notch... Oh man, it'd be great.

Although, I do find the.. "Who do you think he is, Tom Brady?!?" comment funny... Because Hoodie runs a fairly similar (more efficient, usually) offense. Ha.

So, I guess I agree with Air.. Kind of? lol. He is grossly exaggerating, of course... But deep down he has a valid point or two. However, as I said... Andy hasn't really went with a heavy passing attack to begin the year. Maybe there was something on the film he saw that he wanted to try to exploit this week against the Titans?

Who knows... I wouldn't be worried until this becomes a pattern though. And not until KC actually starts losing some games.

Thus.. In closing.

Alex needs to be more accurate and efficient. Get those other backs involved to see what they can do. :yep:

• Upvote 1

Charles4ever and I might not agree on a whole lot of things. Hell, we're oil and water sometimes. That being said, there's one thing that we can definitely agree on. That is the awesomeness of the Kansas City Chiefs. GO CHIEFS!!!

EDIT: I think I have it in writing on this forum from before the season that I think the Chiefs have the best pass rushers, the best secondary, and the best RB in the AFC

First off, I don't troll Rivers. I just don't LIKE Rivers and truly believe that he's one of the most overrated players of this generation. No amount of stats can convince me otherwise. This is not about that.

Secondly, I ain't mad atcha pimp. If you go back and check out the Alex Smith to KC thread, you'll see just how I felt about the Chiefs going after Smith so hard. I used words like "insulted," and many more colorful varieties of angry ranting. He's playing pretty well though, so I'm pleased at the moment. You can call him a farce all you want. Truth be told, you still might be right. Only time will tell, though for now he looks pretty good. He doesn't go downfield as often as some might like, but he's actually shown the ability to do so in certain situations. He's smart, he's careful, and he's athletic—deceptively so. I'm content with him.

Third, no one said that Fitz is Peyton. Fitz is crap, but if not for his out-of-nowhere mobility was the only thing that even made that a game Sunday. Manning will feel heat like he hasn't yet this season when the Chiefs come to town. there's no reason that we can't split with Denver this season. I look forward to the rubber match in January ;)

Fourth of all, you did praise some of the Chiefs. I'm not gonna deny that. I appreciate the fact that you're not a TOTAL hater. You did rate 7 backs over Charles though, inexplicably IMO. Trent Richardson, Ray Rice, CJ Spiller, and CJ 2YPC are all in the AFC, but it is what it is. I'm sure you're reconsidering some of that now.

All that on the table, you're still one of the more fun new posters around these parts in my eyes. You're very stubborn, and so am I. We're gonna butt heads, like, a lot. That doesn't mean I'm mad or anything like that. You're fun to disagree with. You do have a supernatural type of hate for the Chiefs though. It's ok to admit. I have an irrational hatred for the Raiders. EA Sports homie: It's in the game.

Fair enough. I won't act like I don't despise the Chiefs. They're division rivals and, as a team, they're better than San Diego right now. I thought our superiority at QB would be enough to hang with them or have a better season but it doesn't look like that will be the case this year. I wish that for once that the Chargers would get lucky with injuries, because I'm wondering what this team would look like with Alexander, Floyd, Ingram, Freeney, and our first string OL. We don't have the depth to deal with all this crap. But c'est la football.

Just as long as you don't try and tell me that I have nothing but blind hatred for the Chiefs. I know they're talented. If they had a bonafide QB, they'd be SB contenders. I think you just have to hope they land a difference maker at that position while this current talent cluster is still intact.

As for Charles, it's hard among football fans to express that you think someone is overrated without it coming across like you think said player is lousy. Most of the time I try to make the case that a player isn't quite as good as perceived, people think I'm saying that he sucks. I never thought my rankings would be 100% accurate, and I made some unpopular choices in them. And while Charles has been quite good, out of all RB's with at least 60 carries, he's tied for 10th in YPC with 4.3. And the run defenses he's faced thus far are ranked 7th, 16th, 18th, 28th, and 32nd. I still think he's a top 10 player at his position in the NFL, but not as good as most peg him to be. But that's just me. And there's still plenty of time to make me look stupid.

Edited by KempBolt

5 of Charles carries came when the Chiefs were trying to drain clock and just kick a field goal. I dunno how you can be happy with the play calling when Alex Smith is clearly incapable of moving an offense up and down the field himself. He has no business throwing 39 passes. The way Smith is playing is not going to allow the Chiefs to beat good teams. They've been fortunate enough to play 3 garbage teams, the Cowboys and then a team without it's starting QB.

The defense is great, but it's not going to get it done by itself as Alex Smith continually fails to lead the offense efficiently. Reid needs to switch the passing attempts with the rushing attempts.

I'm honestly good with all of this so far. Teams are supposed to ice the game with the rushing offense, and if Charles was getting 20-25 carries in the first 3 quarters, he would possibly too gassed to do what he's been doing late in games. He's scored a TD in every game, I believe, and his touches have been in the mid to high 20s consistently. It's actually kind of smart to keep Charles tank above "e" so that after the rest of the team does their thing, Charles can shut the game down for the win.

Charels4ever made the point that Smith, and not Reid, needs to step his game up. I am compelled to agree with that. He just needs to be a little more sharp and go long before the fourth quarter. The few deep throws that he's attempted have been on the money. He just needs to trust more in Bowe right now. Throw a jump ball once in awhile. Bowe has a knack for making sure that even if he's not going to make the catch, neither will the DB (most of the time). Reid doesn't run his backs into the ground, which is a characteristic that I consider an asset.

Also, when Smith NEEDED to make some throws, he did so. When he needs to scramble for first down yardage or just extend a play, he does. The Chiefs, and by extension Alex Smith, have/has owned the fourth and most important quarter of the game. He just needs to extend that to the rest of the quarters. He's making the right decision a large majority of the time. He's just not making quality throws all the time.

I do generally agree that the gameplan was a bit flipped.. I would much rather run on the Titans than throw on them. I would like to see more from Knile Davis and Cyrus Gray.

However, Andy has been pretty in control of his playbook so far this year. 50 / 50 or there about, which is a pretty big change from his 60-40 in Philly most of his tenure. I also agree that I would like to see Alex be even more efficient with his throws. Not that I think he is doing poorly.. But if he could just step it up one notch... Oh man, it'd be great.

Although, I do find the.. "Who do you think he is, Tom Brady?!?" comment funny... Because Hoodie runs a fairly similar (more efficient, usually) offense. Ha.

So, I guess I agree with Air.. Kind of? lol. He is grossly exaggerating, of course... But deep down he has a valid point or two. However, as I said... Andy hasn't really went with a heavy passing attack to begin the year. Maybe there was something on the film he saw that he wanted to try to exploit this week against the Titans?

Who knows... I wouldn't be worried until this becomes a pattern though. And not until KC actually starts losing some games.

Thus.. In closing.

Alex needs to be more accurate and efficient. Get those other backs involved to see what they can do. :yep:

Yeah, I see it the same way buddy. Smith just needs to get a little sharper with his throws. I also think that he needs to put a little faith in Bowe sometimes. If Bowe is one on one, there's no reason that Smith shouldn't give him a chance to make a play from time to time. Like you said, they're winning so I'm not super concerned at the moment. The problem that I see developing in the not too distant future is that without throwing to Bowe more, the chemistry between the two will suffer.

Smith needs to know a lot more about Bowe's tendencies, his capabilities and limitations, etc... It would benefit Bowe as well as the Chiefs as a whole if Bowe could get into the flow of the season. A WR has to be made a part of the offense more regularly than Bowe is. It's important at any position, but I think it's especially so for WRs due to the fact that they're pretty much the only position where it's a one-on-one type of situation.

WR's are on an island, and if they aren't engaged it's easy for them to fall asleep at the wheel. Bowe is doing everything else right though. He's blocking and what not, but he's not fighting off the line as hard as he usually does, and I think that's got a bit to do with his lack of involvement in the overall offense.

That being said, an 11 million dollar decoy is a pretty great weapon at times, and as long as the Chiefs continue winning I'm not going to be too upset about him not being used as much as we all think he should be.

Fair enough. I won't act like I don't despise the Chiefs. They're division rivals and, as a team, they're better than San Diego right now. I thought our superiority at QB would be enough to hang with them or have a better season but it doesn't look like that will be the case this year. I wish that for once that the Chargers would get lucky with injuries, because I'm wondering what this team would look like with Alexander, Floyd, Ingram, Freeney, and our first string OL. We don't have the depth to deal with all this crap. But c'est la football.

Just as long as you don't try and tell me that I have nothing but blind hatred for the Chiefs. I know they're talented. If they had a bonafide QB, they'd be SB contenders. I think you just have to hope they land a difference maker at that position while this current talent cluster is still intact.

As for Charles, it's hard among football fans to express that you think someone is overrated without it coming across like you think said player is lousy. Most of the time I try to make the case that a player isn't quite as good as perceived, people think I'm saying that he sucks. I never thought my rankings would be 100% accurate, and I made some unpopular choices in them. And while Charles has been quite good, out of all RB's with at least 60 carries, he's tied for 10th in YPC with 4.3. And the run defenses he's faced thus far are ranked 7th, 16th, 18th, 28th, and 32nd. I still think he's a top 10 player at his position in the NFL, but not as good as most peg him to be. But that's just me. And there's still plenty of time to make me look stupid.

Charles is our leading rusher and pass catcher, and he's closing games better than anyone else in the league right now. He had more rushing yards than any single back last week I believe, and he's a legit duel threat. He's trucking guys almost every week, and he's blocking like a boss this season too.

You just called him the best back in the AFC in your post before last, and now you're saying that he's a little overrated again. I don't really see how the two things are related. He clearly can't be both.

As for your eyes wide open Chiefs hate (see what I did there?) it's justified. They have a legit shot at being 9-0 when they first face Denver this season. It's exciting times for Chiefs fans. Oakland , Houston, Cleveland, and Buffalo before Denver. I can't see them losing any more than one and possibly zero of those games, but even if they split they're 7-2. It's nice that we're in the conversation for winning this division, even if it is only five games onto the season.

Charles is our leading rusher and pass catcher, and he's closing games better than anyone else in the league right now. He had more rushing yards than any single back last week I believe, and he's a legit duel threat. He's trucking guys almost every week, and he's blocking like a boss this season too.

You just called him the best back in the AFC in your post before last, and now you're saying that he's a little overrated again. I don't really see how the two things are related. He clearly can't be both.

As for your eyes wide open Chiefs hate (see what I did there?) it's justified. They have a legit shot at being 9-0 when they first face Denver this season. It's exciting times for Chiefs fans. Oakland , Houston, Cleveland, and Buffalo before Denver. I can't see them losing any more than one and possibly zero of those games, but even if they split they're 7-2. It's nice that we're in the conversation for winning this division, even if it is only five games onto the season.

I said he's the best in our division (the AFC West), not in our conference (the AFC). He's certainly in the conversation for the best back in the entire AFC as well, but that's partially a function of most of the league's really good backs being NFC players at the moment (Lynch, Gore, Martin, McCoy, Morris, Forte, and Peterson).

I said he's the best in our division (the AFC West), not in our conference (the AFC). He's certainly in the conversation for the best back in the entire AFC as well, but that's partially a function of most of the league's really good backs being NFC players at the moment (Lynch, Gore, Martin, McCoy, Morris, Forte, and Peterson).

I like Charles better than every back on that list not named Peterson, but one could make a case for McCoy imo. Morris is pretty great, and so is Lynch, but from what I've seen they're both one trick ponies. Gore is a work horse, and I really like him, but I think Charles is more dynamic than those guys.

Also, go back through the quotes on this thread. There's no "West" after AFC in regards to Charles being the best. I'm sure you meant West, but that's not what you typed. :p