Vin

Cowboys @ Chargers

I can buy that Dallas is a more talented team than the Chargers. Ware and Selvie are better pass rushers than what we have, and Bryant is head and shoulders better than any of our receivers. Carr is better than any of our corners and I like their linebackers quite a bit. They also run the ball better than we do. Rivers > Romo, Weddle > Dallas safeties, and our DL > their interior, but that's about where it ends. Gates is a better receiver than Witten, but a lesser blocker so that's about a wash.

All that said, it's one thing to be the more talented team and another to be the better team. I can't say what things will look like by season's end (esp considering our injuries sustained and the weakness of the NFCE), but on Sunday the Chargers were the better team. Our secondary and defensive line started making plays here and there that they haven't yet this season. Our patchwork offensive line mostly handled Dallas' front 7. If we aren't without 3 starters up front, chances are that Rivers' arm doesn't get hit as he throws so that pick 6 by Lee is actually a 1st down pass and the game ends up being a 2+ TD affair. Even as it was, Rivers managed 401 yards, 83% completion, and 4 TD's behind only 2 of his starting offensive linemen. And it's not as though we have world beaters on the line when we're healthy.

To argue that we weren't the better team because we succeeded with unlikely players or because we mostly went after weak links in the opposing defense is ludicrous. Getting the job done with unproven players just makes it all the more impressive. And going after favorable match-ups is what NFL teams do. And aside from that, it's double minded to say that we really were not better because a) we went after Dallas' lesser defenders and b) we burned Lee, which never happens. As if the times that we actually did go after the cream of the crop and succeeded don't really count because they don't happen that often.

None of this is even to mention that Demarcus Ware got handled all game by Mike Harris. Had Dallas won, and I said they really weren't better because it was a "weird game" (what does that even mean?) and Romo didn't go after Weddle, Cowboys fans would be pissed.

• Upvote 1

All that said, I actually wouldn't be shocked to see Dallas pull off the major upset against Denver. Not because they're anywhere near as good as the Broncos, but just because that's how Jekyll and Hyde Dallas is.

Well, Rivers isn't definitively better than Romo, Kemp, and hasn't been for several years. That's wash, too, but I actually thought Ryan Mathews played quite well. If Murray can't get consistent, we've got to stop crowning him.

Dez might be better than your receivers, but I think they're better than the rest of what Dallas had on the field, that day. He might not be going for 5/120/1, but Austin is a gigantic difference maker when he's healthy.

Weddle is awesome.

And our rush ends didn't perform on Sunday. Selvie was decent but then got hurt. DWare, though still controlling his side of the field, was invisible statistically. It came out that his back was bothering him. I'm starting to wonder if that neck injury he suffered against San Diego the last time they played, which has lingered since that time, affects his spine to the point that he's just not DWare on some Sundays. He didn't touch Eli, either, though he had 2 sacks in the two middle games.

Your offensive line was impressive on Sunday, there's no question.

I didn't mean to imply that Dallas was better on Sunday. They dominated a quarter, but that's about it. I just think they have more sustainable production because they're healthy and that their defense wouldn't let Rivers throw for four oh oh, again.

Our offensive line killed us. Why was Parnell even in, at one point? I didn't see Smith or Free get injured. And Williams made the gigantic mistake that all rookies do (not the same specific mistake, mind you, but all rookies fuck up major at some point), and that killed us. DWare's offside penalty was awful, but we were practically out of timeouts.

All that said, I actually wouldn't be shocked to see Dallas pull off the major upset against Denver. Not because they're anywhere near as good as the Broncos, but just because that's how Jekyll and Hyde Dallas is.

Denver hasn't really played anybody yet, so I don't think the separation between them and the other good teams is that drastic.

Edited by BwareDWare94

The thing is, these are the same problems Dallas has always had, like I said. Austin can NEVER stay healthy. If DeMarco Murray goes down there's not depth at RB. Their secondary has always been a problem but they've always had solid to real good LB's and pass rushers. At what point do we say this is who this team is. Talent doesn't always make you the better team. Talent doesn't always make you a great player.

Denver hasn't really played anybody yet, so I don't think the separation between them and the other good teams is that drastic.

The Cowboys haven't played anybody either and have looked worse. But Kemp touched on something that I said as well. I could see the Cowboys getting a win against Denver because they are very Jekyll and Hyde like.

Well, Rivers isn't definitively better than Romo, Kemp, and hasn't been for several years. That's wash, too, but I actually thought Ryan Mathews played quite well. If Murray can't get consistent, we've got to stop crowning him.

Dez might be better than your receivers, but I think they're better than the rest of what Dallas had on the field, that day. He might not be going for 5/120/1, but Austin is a gigantic difference maker when he's healthy.

Weddle is awesome.

And our rush ends didn't perform on Sunday. Selvie was decent but then got hurt. DWare, though still controlling his side of the field, was invisible statistically. It came out that his back was bothering him. I'm starting to wonder if that neck injury he suffered against San Diego the last time they played, which has lingered since that time, affects his spine to the point that he's just not DWare on some Sundays. He didn't touch Eli, either, though he had 2 sacks in the two middle games.

Your offensive line was impressive on Sunday, there's no question.

I didn't mean to imply that Dallas was better on Sunday. They dominated a quarter, but that's about it. I just think they have more sustainable production because they're healthy and that their defense wouldn't let Rivers throw for four oh oh, again.

Our offensive line killed us. Why was Parnell even in, at one point? I didn't see Smith or Free get injured. And Williams made the gigantic mistake that all rookies do (not the same specific mistake, mind you, but all rookies fuck up major at some point), and that killed us. DWare's offside penalty was awful, but we were practically out of timeouts.

We aren't going to agree on Rivers and Romo. I know I could give you my reasoning and it won't get anywhere, so I'll just leave it.

But with the NFC East being the way it is, I can see Dallas finishing with a better season than San Diego. But as long as Rivers plays the way he has lately, I think we're the better team. But I can see the reasoning behind saying they're comparable.

Denver hasn't really played anyone, but they've also rolled all four teams they've faced, with 16 points being the smallest margin of victory thus far. Just as I said, I can see Dallas pulling off the win-- but not because Denver is a fraud. More because Dallas strikes me as a team that loses games they're supposed to win and wins some games they're supposed to lose.

• Upvote 1

The thing is, these are the same problems Dallas has always had, like I said. Austin can NEVER stay healthy. If DeMarco Murray goes down there's not depth at RB. Their secondary has always been a problem but they've always had solid to real good LB's and pass rushers. At what point do we say this is who this team is. Talent doesn't always make you the better team. Talent doesn't always make you a great player.

Lance Dunbar and Joseph Randle are more than good enough to carry the load, sans Murray. Finally got some depth at that position.

Lance Dunbar and Joseph Randle are more than good enough to carry the load, sans Murray. Finally got some depth at that position.

I'd agree. Dallas' RB depth doesn't have much name recognition, but they can play. It helps that Free and Frederick have been doing some nice work in the running game.

Better team won yesterday and if you can't see that then you didn't watch the game, simple.

LOL. Yeah, let's count on Danny Woodhead to score two TDs again and Sean Lee to get beat on a pass play, which never happens. Your Chargers caught lucky breaks and made three plays that they would not make again against Dallas. Not to mention a rookie making a dumbass play, the kind of play every rookie makes at least once a season. Don't act like your team is definitively better. We'll know by the end of the season who has the better team.

I've come to the conclusion that DeMarcus Ware's neck issues simply nullify him at times, and I personally guarantee that if you match him up with your OL again next Sunday, he'd play much better.

Oh, and by the way, Dallas is going to beat Denver next Sunday.

Why do you always do this when your team loses? You always start off by saying if you clearly think Team A is better than Team B or etc. or my bware favourite is how Dallas keeps losing to "lesser competition". Or you say Do you really expect Player A to do this and that again. Danny Woodhead has scored 2 TDS in a game a few times before.... and great players get burned sometimes. Add to the fact The chargers out gained you and did not let you guys score a TD in the second half. But you guys are still the better team right?

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Dude, Phillip Rivers threw for 400 to a bunch of dudes (outside of Gates, of course) that I've never heard of. SHREDDED. And Dallas couldn't take advantage of that terrible secondary either. Pathetic. We deserved to lose.

He shredded Mo Claiborne and Bruce Carter. Everybody else was pretty much fine. It's time to give Claiborne a benching. Carter, I don't think, is any kind of liability. Just had a couple bad plays against Woodhead.

Did he even throw at Brandon Carr? Once?

Little late with this but Rivers under threw Vincent Brown on a deep ball in which Brown had Carr beat...but then again I'm not entirely sure it was Carr who was beat. lol

Better team won yesterday and if you can't see that then you didn't watch the game, simple.

LOL. Yeah, let's count on Danny Woodhead to score two TDs again and Sean Lee to get beat on a pass play, which never happens. Your Chargers caught lucky breaks and made three plays that they would not make again against Dallas. Not to mention a rookie making a dumbass play, the kind of play every rookie makes at least once a season. Don't act like your team is definitively better. We'll know by the end of the season who has the better team.

I've come to the conclusion that DeMarcus Ware's neck issues simply nullify him at times, and I personally guarantee that if you match him up with your OL again next Sunday, he'd play much better.

Why do you always do this when your team loses? You always start off by saying if you clearly think Team A is better than Team B or etc. or my bware favourite is how Dallas keeps losing to "lesser competition". Or you say Do you really expect Player A to do this and that again. Danny Woodhead has scored 2 TDS in a game a few times before.... and great players get burned sometimes. Add to the fact The chargers out gained you and did not let you guys score a TD in the second half. But you guys are still the better team right?

The reason is simple. Denial. We all do it to some extent when our team loses, but Cowboys fans seem to be even deeper under that river in Egypt than the rest of us. Don't be too hard on Bware though. Dallas was so great for so long that most Cowboys fans are conditioned to expect their team to be in the upper echelon every year, and they haven't yet figured out how to cope with the fact that they aren't. They expect to always be the better team and so treat every loss like an upset. It also doesn't help that the media reinforces this point of view when they spend every off-season talking up the Cowboys. There's also the fact that the Chargers are very much playing above expectations right now, so I don't blame Bware for not believing in them yet.

That said, there's a lot of football left to play. Chargers were the better team this week, but who will be at the end of the season is anyone's guess. As of now it's looking like the Cowboys might win their division by default.

Edited by Jayrus

The reason is simple. Denial. We all do it to some extent when our team loses, but Cowboys fans seem to be even deeper under that river in Egypt than the rest of us. Don't be too hard on Bware though. Dallas was so great for so long that most Cowboys fans are conditioned to expect their team to be in the upper echelon every year, and they haven't yet figured out how to cope with the fact that they aren't. They expect to always be the better team and so treat every loss like an upset. It also doesn't help that the media reinforces this point of view when they spend every off-season talking up the Cowboys. There's also the fact that the Chargers are very much playing above expectations right now, so I don't blame Bware for not believing in them yet.

That said, there's a lot of football left to play. Chargers were the better team this week, but who will be at the end of the season is anyone's guess. As of now it's looking like the Cowboys might win their division by default.

It's not that, at all. I explained it in my post above. I don't think San Diego's success and production is sustainable because they're so beat up. They were clearly up from all the potential blowout talk lead in to Sunday's game. I knew that Rivers would play well because, contrary to popular belief, he was still good the past two years, even with the picks. Phillip Rivers never should have left the top 10 QB rankings. If we've got 10 great QBs in this league, Rivers has been one of them for at least half a decade.

We've had Matt Schaub in the top 10 ranks instead of Phillip Rivers. image does not load, try another extension.

I'm guilty of it, too. I bought into the TO troubles. At the same time, is Eli Manning no longer an elite QB because of four games? No.

Kansas City beating Dallas wasn't an upset. You are quite wrong about me, my friend. I've been down on Dallas in previous years. I don't trust them. This year, however, they're the most solid front to back team that Tony Romo has ever had, and he's not fucking up. As usual, it's his teammates. It's time for them to step up, because this team has a chance at contention if they just show the fuck up every Sunday.

I see. I apologize for my incorrect assessment. I certainly can understand that point of view, and I agree that Romo isn't the one fucking up this year. The Cowboys do indeed have talent on both sides of the ball, but I'll never believe that Jerry Jones and the circus troupe he calls his coaches will ever be able to pull it all together. Nobody shows up from game to game except the same usual group of veteran players. That being Romo, Witten, Ware, Dez, and Lee. Everyone else either can't stay healthy or manages to find a way to make a crucial mistake that throws the game away.

The talent level of the Cowboys is far too high for them to collapse completely, so I expect them to hover around that .500 mark. Yet... exactly that is what has kept the Cowboys from making any progress. They're not good enough to be taken seriously as a super bowl competitor, and yet they're just good enough that the team is stuck with middle of the round draft picks and the people in charge can continue to fool themselves into believing they're right on the brink. That is until Romo, Witten, and Ware retire and years of salary cap mismanagement finally explodes in Jerry Jones' face. At this point they're going to have to fulfil Jones' vision of a cinderella season because that's the only way I see this team winning anything before it all hits the fan and the team is finally forced to start over.

Edited by Jayrus