Vin

Seahawks @ Colts

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131006011&home=11&vis=26

(AP) -- Andrew Luck was tabbed as a can't-miss prospect coming out of college before the Indianapolis Colts selected him No. 1 overall in the 2012 draft.

Seventy-four picks later, the Seattle Seahawks used a third-round selection on Russell Wilson, who had plenty of critics wondering if his smaller stature would prevent him from succeeding in the NFL.

No matter their paths to NFL stardom, each quarterback has his team off to a solid start heading into Sunday's showdown in Indianapolis.

Luck is only 20 regular-season games into his career as the successor to Peyton Manning, but he's largely lived up to the hype. He guided the Colts to an 11-5 mark and a playoff appearance in 2012, and he's completed 64.1 percent of his passes with five touchdowns while helping Indianapolis get off a 3-1 start this season.

Despite a sluggish first half, Luck finished 22 of 36 for 260 yards with two TDs and an interception in last week's 37-3 win over Jacksonville. Coach Chuck Pagano believes that performance signified the poise Luck brings to the position and why he continues to be successful.

"The sky is the limit," Pagano said. "Listening to him and talking to him, he did get off to a slow start, but he is an even-keeled guy. He is one of those guys who can put things behind him and move on. Talent combined with that kind of mindset, the sky is the limit."

Seattle coach Pete Carroll has similar feelings about his young quarterback. The 5-foot-11 Wilson, who unexpectedly won the starting job as a rookie last season and helped the Seahawks reach the NFC divisional playoffs, ranks ninth in the league with a 95.3 passer rating and is fifth among QBs with 131 rushing yards.

Wilson helped Seattle earn the first 4-0 start in franchise history by passing or rushing for 140 of the team's final 150 yards in last week's 23-20 come-from-behind overtime victory over Houston.

"The play of Russell Wilson was just extraordinary in how he did it," Carroll said. "It wasn't just by big numbers in throwing the football, it was just by playing the game and taking advantage of the opportunities that he could, and he did."

Though Wilson may not have had his best game after going 12 of 23 for 123 yards and an interception, Carroll praised him for his composure under pressure.

"He doesn't change the way he plays," Carroll said. "They were coming hard after him, there were some spaces, and he was well aware of how things were going. We needed his help and he gave it to us."

Carroll hopes that isn't a trend, though. The Seahawks, who fell from No. 1 in the league in total defense to fifth (300.3 yards per game), trailed by 17 points at halftime before pitching a shutout in the second half.

Seattle needed a 58-yard interception return for a touchdown from Richard Sherman with 2:40 left to force overtime before Steven Hauschka won it with a 45-yard field goal.

Though he's not discounting the team's solid start, Carroll is aware there's plenty of room for improvement.

"There's still 12 more games before you even get close to playoff time, so we're a long ways from home right now," Carroll said.

Pagano also isn't getting too excited over his team's early success. After this week's tough contest, the Colts face San Diego next Monday before dates with Denver on Oct. 20 and Houston on Nov. 3.

"We know it's a marathon and not a sprint," Pagano said on his weekly radio show. "Sitting here at 3-1 four games into it, I'm pleased where we are at and where we are heading."

Indianapolis has outscored its last two opponents 64-10 and held the dismal Jacksonville offense to 205 total yards. It may have a tougher time containing Wilson, running back Marshawn Lynch and a Seattle offense that ranks fifth with 144.3 yards per game rushing, but Pagano believes his squad is prepared for the challenge.

"The good thing is we faced two really athletic quarterbacks. Facing (Terrelle) Pryor and then (Colin) Kaepernick definitely was good for us to see, and see early. Those guys can run around and Russell Wilson is an unbelievable talent," Pagano said. "I know he has two eyes but it's like he has eyes all over the place, in the back of his head. He's just got that sixth sense."

The Colts' rushing attack ranks one spot ahead of the Seahawks with 149.5 yards per game after Trent Richardson rushed for 60 and a touchdown last week.

Richardson had 20 carries against the Jaguars and figures to get the majority again Sunday with Ahmad Bradshaw's status in doubt due to a neck injury.

Seattle is 18th against the run (109.0 ypg), and hopes to have defensive lineman Michael Bennett in uniform after he was carted off the field last week due to a strained back muscle.

:Seahawks: 24

:Colts: 27

Seattle is a different team on the road. They are extremely fortunate to be undefeated after their games @Carolina and @Houston. I think this is the week they drop one.

Seattle is a different team on the road. They are extremely fortunate to be undefeated after their games @Carolina and @Houston. I think this is the week they drop one.

I have a bad feeling about this game. Seemed there was too much anticipation for the texans game. This game feels like a letdown game. Seattle has been great at keeping focus on the game in front of them. We shall see.

Colts aren't generally a fast starting team. Seattle seems to take a quarter and a half to get rolling. Hawks have allowed zero second half points on the road this year. Indy might be able to snap that but they will have to break their habit of slow starts because Seattle is going to put it in gear in the second half.

Seattle matches up well with Indy and plays Indy's identical power run scheme twice a year (SF). Won't see anything we aren't familiar with. Seattle's defense is built to stop this exact attack.

:Seahawks: 20

:Colts: 13

I have a bad feeling about this game. Seemed there was too much anticipation for the texans game. This game feels like a letdown game. Seattle has been great at keeping focus on the game in front of them. We shall see.

Colts aren't generally a fast starting team. Seattle seems to take a quarter and a half to get rolling. Hawks have allowed zero second half points on the road this year. Indy might be able to snap that but they will have to break their habit of slow starts because Seattle is going to put it in gear in the second half.

Seattle matches up well with Indy and plays Indy's identical power run scheme twice a year (SF). Won't see anything we aren't familiar with. Seattle's defense is built to stop this exact attack.

Seattle may be familiar with this running scheme, but they haven't been matching up too well with opposing running games so far this year. Colts are 3rd in rushing yards with 150/game and 4th in YPC at 4.9 YPC. Seattle's defense is 18th in rushing yards allowed with 109/game, and 21st in YPC allowing per carry at 4.1. Luck will likely be in trouble if he's asked to consistently challenge Seattle's secondary, but I doubt he'll need to.

Now the inverse is also true. Seattle is equally adept at running the ball and Indy is equally poor at stopping it. But they play worse on the road, both in the past and so far this season. Hence the prediction. The Colts have also scored 61 of their 105 points in the first half (58%), so I'm not so sure they start slow.

EDIT: Just looked it up out of curiosity. Here are SF's rushing numbers against Seattle since Harbaugh got there (the last 5 contests):

143 attempts, 620 yards, 4.3 YPC

Edited by KempBolt

Seattle may be familiar with this running scheme, but they haven't been matching up too well with opposing running games so far this year. Colts are 3rd in rushing yards with 150/game and 4th in YPC at 4.9 YPC. Seattle's defense is 18th in rushing yards allowed with 109/game, and 21st in YPC allowing per carry at 4.1. Luck will likely be in trouble if he's asked to consistently challenge Seattle's secondary, but I doubt he'll need to.

Now the inverse is also true. Seattle is equally adept at running the ball and Indy is equally poor at stopping it. But they play worse on the road, both in the past and so far this season. Hence the prediction. The Colts have also scored 61 of their 105 points in the first half (58%), so I'm not so sure they start slow.

EDIT: Just looked it up out of curiosity. Here are SF's rushing numbers against Seattle since Harbaugh got there (the last 5 contests):

143 attempts, 620 yards, 4.3 YPC

This'll be a hell of a game. Here's the thing about Russell Wilson and this Seahawks team, they will not lose big this season. If the Colts do win, it'll be by the skin of their teeth. This is the game to watch.

:Colts: 23

:Seahawks: 21

This will be amazing to watch. I actually have us slated to lose this one, but I doubt it'll be by much. We can play with anyone. The question will be if our O-Line can perform better. Last week Wilson had no time to look down the field. If someone wasn't immediately open he was forced to start scrambling. This week we should have our pro-bowl center back which will help. Also the Colts don't have Ahmad Bradshaw this time which means they have to rely on t-rich for their run game. They also don't have the monstrous defensive line that the Texans do, which means Wilson should have a little more time to throw. A lot of things could go either way. I'm excited.

This game should prove a lot about both teams. A win here for us would go a long way to shut up the people harping on about how we can't play on the road. A win for the Colts would cement them as a true top contender.

I really think the Colts will win this one maybe by a FG late in the game. Home field advantage will make the difference in this one. Trent Richardson will be the feature back this week with Bradshaw being out and he will prove his worth by having a huge game.

Seahawks: 20

Colts: 23

I too think the Colts take this one and only because they're at home, but it will be close.

:Colts: 23

:Seahawks: 17

Colts have played better on the road than home this year (1-1 at home, including a loss to Miami and barely hanging on against the Raiders.) I honestly don't see how they can muster much offense against Seattle. Only backs that run on Seattle are the quick shifty types, T-Rich isn't that. Then it's just their passing game against the best secondary in the league. So, I'm going with the Seahawks. Road games be damned.

Colts have played better on the road than home this year (1-1 at home, including a loss to Miami and barely hanging on against the Raiders.) I honestly don't see how they can muster much offense against Seattle. Only backs that run on Seattle are the quick shifty types, T-Rich isn't that. Then it's just their passing game against the best secondary in the league. So, I'm going with the Seahawks. Road games be damned.

Not sure I buy that. I think the Colts will find some joy in the running game.

He's actually fairly accurate. The RBs that have the most success against us are the quick backs that can get around the outside. Power backs that try to just pound their way up the middle tend to just get stuffed by our d-line. If you think back to last week versus the Texans what happened? Power runs up the middle usually got stuffed. Speed runs to the outside usually ended up in big gainers. If the Colts still had Ahmad Bradshaw I'd be far more worried about them running on us, but he's out so that means T-Rich is going to have beat us, and I'm not sold on him yet. He hasn't looked that good so far this year, and I'm supposed to believe that will change against probably the best defense in the league? No, I'm confident we'll be able to contain Richardson. It will be Luck that has to beat us via the passing game.

Everybody taking the Colts makes me think the Seahawks are gonna win it....well, that and they're just a better football team than the Colts.

He's actually fairly accurate. The RBs that have the most success against us are the quick backs that can get around the outside. Power backs that try to just pound their way up the middle tend to just get stuffed by our d-line. If you think back to last week versus the Texans what happened? Power runs up the middle usually got stuffed. Speed runs to the outside usually ended up in big gainers. If the Colts still had Ahmad Bradshaw I'd be far more worried about them running on us, but he's out so that means T-Rich is going to have beat us, and I'm not sold on him yet. He hasn't looked that good so far this year, and I'm supposed to believe that will change against probably the best defense in the league? No, I'm confident we'll be able to contain Richardson. It will be Luck that has to beat us via the passing game.

You can call it the best defense in the league, and maybe by season's end they will be. But as of now, they're struggling to stop opposing running games- that's just the reality of the moment. Maybe the Colts use Donald Brown on the outside. Maybe Luck runs for a bunch like Kaep did. Maybe T-Rich shows more wiggle than what he has thus far (he had it in college). But I think the Colts will produce on the ground as long as the score isn't being run up on their defense. Frank Gore has had some good games against this Hawks defense, and he does most of his heavy lifting between the tackles.

Edited by KempBolt

I can't help but wonder what this game would look like with Harvin in the mix...even without him, I keep reverting back to the dismantling of the Niners. I know it's just one game, and it was at home, but I just can't help it. That said, Luck should...should keep the secondary busy if he has time to get rid of it. I really think that will be the main factor in all this...Seattle pass rush.

You can call it the best defense in the league, and maybe by season's end they will be. But as of now, they're struggling to stop opposing running games- that's just the reality of the moment. Maybe the Colts use Donald Brown on the outside. Maybe Luck runs for a bunch like Kaep did. Maybe T-Rich shows more wiggle than what he has thus far (he had it in college). But I think the Colts will produce on the ground as long as the score isn't being run up on their defense. Frank Gore has had some good games against this Hawks defense, and he does most of his heavy lifting between the tackles.

Yes. Let's review our "Struggles" against the running game.

Week one. Deangelo wiliams made 86 yards against a defense with significant injuries along the d-line.

Week two. Frank Gore's ass was stuffed. all their running came from Kaepernick who is one of trhe only QBs fast enough to get around our DBs.

Week three. Jags. MJD got a whole 43 yards running against our backup squad. so concerning.

Week four. arian foster. 102 yards. Ben Tate 44 yards. Okay, impressive. We got run on by one of the best running attacks in the league. Whatever shall we do?

Long story short. We're not struggling. If our defense had been healthy week one D-will gets next to nothing on us. Kaep had to scramble for his life, and no, Luck will not be able to do that on us. He is just not fast enough to outrun our defenders. I'm not calling busted run defense because a top 5 rushing attakc ran on us. Let the Broncos and their so called "top run defense" play the run games we have. I guarantee you they get gouged on the ground far worse that we did and plummet down the ratings. Anyone who thinks our run defense is struggling just isn't paying attention.

The Colts might find a little bit of room, but not enough. T-Rich isn't Frank Gore, Arian Foster, or Ben Tate, and Luck sure as hell isn't fast enough to run on us like Kaepernick. He might get a short scramble or two but he's not fast enough to take off and get around the edge on us. T-Rich hasn't proven his college skill set has translated to anything other than an okay NFL level RB. Today is going to be a trial by fire for him. If he can't produce it'll all be on Luck's arm.

Edited by Jayrus

Yes. Let's review our "Struggles" against the running game.

Week one. Deangelo wiliams made 86 yards against a defense with significant injuries along the d-line.

Week two. Frank Gore's ass was stuffed. all their running came from Kaepernick who is one of trhe only QBs fast enough to get around our DBs.

Week three. Jags. MJD got a whole 43 yards running against our backup squad. so concerning.

Week four. arian foster. 102 yards. Ben Tate 44 yards. Okay, impressive. We got run on by one of the best running attacks in the league. Whatever shall we do?

Long story short. We're not struggling. If our defense had been healthy week one D-will gets next to nothing on us. Kaep had to scramble for his life, and no, Luck will not be able to do that on us. He is just not fast enough to outrun our defenders. I'm not calling busted run defense because a top 5 rushing attakc ran on us. Let the Broncos and their so called "top run defense" play the run games we have. I guarantee you they get gouged on the ground far worse that we did and plummet down the ratings. Anyone who thinks our run defense is struggling just isn't paying attention.

The Colts might find a little bit of room, but not enough. T-Rich isn't Frank Gore, Arian Foster, or Ben Tate, and Luck sure as hell isn't fast enough to run on us like Kaepernick. He might get a short scramble or two but he's not fast enough to take off and get around the edge on us. T-Rich hasn't proven his college skill set has translated to anything other than an okay NFL level RB. Today is going to be a trial by fire for him. If he can't produce it'll all be on Luck's arm.

Luck has scrambled for 126 yards so far thos season, to Kaep's 140. His ability to do so is underrated. And so far this season, the Colts have run for more yards per game with a higher YPC than Houston. So if you're going to allow that the Texans were able to run because they have a top running game, you may want to concede that Indy might find a little room with theirs. Maybe these are fluky early season trends that reverse, but I don't think so. I expect Pep Hamilton to keep that rushing attack producing.

• Upvote 1

Colts declared RB Ahmad Bradshaw, S LaRon Landry, FB Stanley Havili, OT Xavier Nixon, OLB Bjoern Werner, DT Montari Hughes, and DT Ricky Jean-Francois inactive for Week 5 against the Seahawks.

Seahawks declared TE Zach Miller, QB B.J. Daniels, CB Jeremy Lane, RB Spencer Ware, C Max Unger, RT Breno Giacomini, and DE Benson Mayowa inactive for Week 5 against the Colts.

This should be a good game. I'm rolling with Luck and the Colts in this one though.

:Colts: 24

:Seahawks: 21

So I guess we should respect the Colts now?

I definitely respect the Colts, but there will probably be an overreaction to this win. The Seahawks have thoroughly demonstrated that they aren't a power house on the road the way that they are at home. So while it's an impressive win and I tip my cap to Indianapolis, I can see the media overhyping it. This same Seattle team got all they could handle from Carolina to start the season.

Funny stat: the Seahawks gave up 109 yds on the ground, which is the exact amount they've given up per game on average this season that has them ranked 18th.

This was definitely the game of the day in my opinion. Two sophomore superstars going at it. Both teams put together an entire team effort. Good plays on offense, defense and special teams. However though, Andrew Luck was simply awesome. He made some amazing throws with perfect touches and great accuracy hitting his WRs in stride. He also demonstrated great poise while being blitzed stepping up into the pocket and making clutch throws with the game on the line. Another 4th quarter comeback win for Luck. T.Y Hilton stepped up and destroyed the Legion of Boom. T.Y Hilton burned Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman was responsible for Hilton's other TD. Russel Wilson had a pretty good game. He made a lot of plays with his legs and a couple of good throws; the TD to Jermaine Kearse in particular. However, he did have a chance to win in the last 2 mins in the 4th quarter but threw an interception. While the Seahawks are on the road, I think this was still a statement game for the Colts. They executed well.

Great game. Wilson missed on 2 sure TD passes and that was the difference. In a game like this where scores are going to be traded like body blows, you have to hit on those. Earl Thomas had such a great game. Shame we had to lose.

The stat line between Luck and Wilson was virtually identical passing wise. Was a great matchup and sadly one team had to lose. I'd like to say that our secondary had a bad game, but really I think it was Luck making big time plays under severe pressure. Our OL played it's best game of the season and our depth guys are developing nicely. Out 2 pro bowl starters -- they really improved over last weeks' immolation by Houston.

Wilson has yet to really put a great game together against a team not located in Jacksonville. This is the stretch to get healthy as we get some much better matchups the next 4 weeks (Titans, @Ari, @StL, TB). It's possible we see Harvin's return for the Bucs.

In all just a great game. Both teams played well. The result notwithstanding, I'm thrilled that we are this competitive and haven't come close to putting our best out there yet.

• Upvote 1