Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Would Tom Brady be great without Bill Belichick?

Disregarding the fact that Tom Brady got his only opportunity from Belichick, would Brady be as great without him? This is a very perplexing question in my opinion. When you see Tom Brady's legacy, you see the evil genius Bill Belichick tied very closely to the hip.Tom Brady would still definitely be a good QB in this league no doubt in my opinion but would he be great? Just some food for thought.

Drew Brees despite having the worst defense in NFL history and not having his Head Coach and put on a clinic having one of the best statistical performances in QB history and carried his team to 7-9. Peyton Manning switched teams and is still playing at an elite level (in regular season lol) and is currently show casing the best QB play to date in the history of the game. Belichick took a Tom Brady-less team to 11-5 (despite not making the playoffs) with Matt Cassel. He's amazing from the X's and O's stand point. He can plug a nobody in a scheme and utilize them in a way to be effective. However though, I think Bill Belichick is the greater of the two. Belichick's coaching and schemes have completely stumped opposing teams; as well as Brady's amazing throws and execution. Watching the games though, it's evident Belichick is the master orchestrator outscheming opposers and completely outmatching opposers. Belichick created a well oiled machine over there in New England and I could see Bill Belichick going to another team, building it up and doing the same eventually winning a ring.

All those players/people have their own identity. I'm not saying that Brady doesn't. Brady's legacy is just so closely tied to Belichick's genius out coaching and out scheming opposers masterfully. So would Brady be great without Belichick?

Edited by dutchff7

Belichick took a Tom Brady-less team to 11-5 (despite not making the playoffs) with Matt Cassel.

Yeah, having the easiest schedule ever. :yao:

They faced like 2-3 good teams that year and got hate fucked by them. 20+ point blowout losses @ SD and Pitt at home. However, I enjoyed watching that 2008 squad with Cassel more than I did with the 2009 squad with Brady. That '08 team had a lot of heart whereas the '09 team has absolutely no balls whatsoever.

TFB and BB and compliment each other pretty damn well. They've created a special synergy. Odds are they both go out together.

Coaches coach. Players play. Tom Brady would be a great quarterback regardless IMO. He may have less Super Bowl wins had he gone to other franchises, but it wouldn't be at his fault.

Yes.

tom-brady-peace.gif

Edited by KempBolt

No.

I think he would still be a top 10 QB. He may not have the championships he has won but he would still be pretty damn good.

I think he would still be a top 10 QB. He may not have the championships he has won but he would still be pretty damn good.

This is my thinking right here. No doubt Tom Brady would still be a top 10 QB. The thing is though, there is a HUGE disparity between the top 4 elite guys to the #5 guy. It's an entirely different level. The top 4 QBs are going to be all time greats. Would Brady still be in that category without Bill Belichick? That's the question I'm asking everyone.

Belichick is a genius, but he doesn't suit up and make the plays he calls happen. Brady makes it happen and I think he would continue doing that with any coach calling the plays.

While coaching has a huge influence over QB play, I think Brady has shown enough to say that he, individually, would be a top quarterback. Would it show? Depends on the situation and circumstances.

Talked about this in the shoutbox. I say he would be great but not as great.Having said that I don't think Belichick would be as great either. I think Brady's drive for greatness would have pushed him into a starting role eventually.I can't stand the guy but he's put in the work, he's improved a lot over the years as a passer and he's just a great competitor.

If he doesn't play for Belichick he's not a Pat and therefore probably never gets an opportunity to play as a 6th rounder. So no but hypothetically yeah probably.

I don't think he'd have so many offensive tools. You saw what they were without the top targets of theirs. Brady has looked like an average quarterback. He never even really did much in his first three years with the team when they executed screen passes with really good play design and key blocking tight ends. They are business partners. Without each other there's no way they have the success to the level that they've had.

• Downvote 2

BC that's one of the dumbest comments you've made on here. Brady has used tons of people that others wouldn't even have started. Check out some of the WRs he's thrown to over the years and tell me which ones, with the exception of Randy Moss, look like weapons to you.

• Upvote 1

WES WELKAH YA PONCE.

I don't think he'd have so many offensive tools. You saw what they were without the top targets of theirs. Brady has looked like an average quarterback. He never even really did much in his first three years with the team when they executed screen passes with really good play design and key blocking tight ends. They are business partners. Without each other there's no way they have the success to the level that they've had.

He was just an average QB pre-2007? You're fucking stupid, BC lol.

BC that's one of the dumbest comments you've made on here. Brady has used tons of people that others wouldn't even have started. Check out some of the WRs he's thrown to over the years and tell me which ones, with the exception of Randy Moss, look like weapons to you.

QFT. His receivers during their Super Bowl winning span were Troy Brown, David Patten, Deion Branch, and David Givens. He didn't have the Randy Moss/Wes Welker combo until AFTER his three Super Bowl wins.

Oh and the running backs were Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon! :laugh:

If anything Brady was fortunate to be playing with some really good defenses at the start of his career. not the offense.