Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Eagles @ Bucs

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131013027&home=27&vis=21

(AP) -- Though it's unclear if Michael Vick will start, the Philadelphia Eagles might not need him to pull out a victory against the scuffling Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

With his starting job possibly on the line if he doesn't play, Vick hopes to overcome his ailing hamstring and lead the visiting Eagles to consecutive victories for the first time in 20 games Sunday against the winless Buccaneers.

The veteran quarterback pulled his left hamstring late in the second quarter of a 36-21 win over the New York Giants last Sunday while running out of bounds on a 13-yard scramble.

Before going down, Vick completed 6 of 14 passes for 105 yards and ran seven times for a team-high 79 yards. Backup Nick Foles came in and connected on 16 of 25 attempts for 197 yards and two touchdowns, sparking a debate over who should start for the Eagles (2-3) at Tampa Bay (0-4).

Vick has been able to throw and jog this week, but didn't participate in team drills during practice Tuesday or Wednesday.

"It's day to day," coach Chip Kelly said. "We'll see how it goes."

Although Vick is expected to get the nod if he's healthy, Kelly left open the possibility that Foles could win the job if he plays and performs well.

"There's always open competition," Kelly said. "So if Nick goes out there and throws 100 for 100 and throws 27 touchdown passes, then, yeah (he's the No. 1)."

After completing 62.3 percent of his passes for 631 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions in his first two games, Vick has hit 46.5 percent for 554 yards with one score and two picks in his last three.

Foles was 1-5 as the starter last season after Vick sustained a concussion in November. The only win came at Tampa Bay, completing 32 of 51 passes for a career-high 381 yards with two touchdowns in a 23-21 victory Dec. 9.

Though Vick certainly has more mobility, Foles has been more effective in the red zone this season. Vick is 5 for 19 for 38 yards and one score inside the opponents' 20-yard line, while Foles is 2 of 3 for 11 yards and two touchdowns.

"My expectation is to work great (in practice), get a lot of work in, study the film, and whatever it is on Sunday, I'll be ready," Foles said.

Whoever gets the start will try to guide the Eagles to consecutive wins for the first time since opening last season 2-0. They should have a good chance to get that done against a Tampa Bay team looking to end its worst start since losing its first seven in 2009.

Coming of their bye week following a 13-10 loss to Arizona on Sept. 29, the Buccaneers are hoping rookie quarterback Mike Glennon can show some improvement and provide a lift for one of the NFL's worst offenses.

The third-round draft pick completed 24 of 43 for 193 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions - both in the fourth quarter - in his first career start. He also was charged with a second-half fumble on a handoff that Doug Martin was unable to hold.

"I thought he handled the operation of the game very well - protections, reading plays out," said coach Greg Schiano, whose Buccaneers released former starter Josh Freeman last week. "He had a couple of balls, I think, he'd like to have back at the end of the game."

Tampa Bay is 31st in the NFL in scoring (11.0 ppg) and total offense (274.8 ypg), but might be able to get things turned around against a Philadelphia team that ranks 30th in points allowed (31.8) and 31st in total defense (434.0).

It would certainly help to get Martin back on track after he was limited to 45 yards on 27 carries by the Cardinals. Martin, third in the league at 85.5 rushing yards per game, ran for 128 and a touchdown on 28 carries in last year's meeting.

Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy, leading the NFL with 514 yards rushing, also hopes to rebound after finishing with 46 last Sunday on 20 carries.

Leading receiver DeSean Jackson, who had seven catches for 132 yards and a touchdown, may face his biggest challenge of the season as he goes against three-time All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis.

"I don't think he can run with me. I don't think he's as fast as me," Jackson said. "... We're not going to make it into a one-on-one battle, me versus Revis. It's the Eagles versus Tampa Bay. At the end of that game, as long as we're winning, that's all that matters to me."

The Eagles have won both meetings with the Buccaneers since 2007.

:Eagles: 27

:Bucs: 20

TB more than doubles their average scoring output and it just doesn't end up being enough.

Vick or Foley at QB I will take the Eagles. The Bucs are a complete mess right now.

Eagles: 26

Bucs: 10

I am outrageously pissed that I'm going to miss the game tomorrow because I'm scheduled for work ESPECIALLY since we are starting Nick Foles :angry: I don't expect Foles to have a huge game because the Bucs defense is tough but I wanted to see the matchup nonetheless. Don't know much about Mike Glennon but if our defense gets scorched by a rookie QB, someone needs to go. We are almost half way into the season so I am expecting us to get better and definitely terrorize a rookie QB. If we don't though, I won't be surprised because I'm use to us sucking now. We did have 3 picks in the 4th quarter last week but we did play Eli so I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

:Eagles: 21

:Bucs: 20

Our offense won't be scorching any defense unless some serious adjustments to the scheme and play calling are made, which I doubt will happen because Schiano is too stubborn to move on from his out dated ways.

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks

Foles is going to struggle against Tampa's defense. We just need to avoid turning the ball over and we should win what's going to be a close game.

:Eagles: 16

:Bucs: 13

The Eagles can move the ball against anyone in this league. If Nick Foles can make them even a little more efficient in the inside the 20's the Eagles should have no issues winning this game. If the Eagles can't turn their possessions into 7 points it's anyone's game. Tampa is a mess but I think they have more overall talent on both sides of the ball than the Eagles. We all know that this secondary can be taken advantage of. I don't want to make a score prediction here but I do think the Eagles take care of business.

Hmm. Even against this Eagles D, I can't see the Bucs doing much. Foles will win the starting job for good.

:Eagles: 35

:Bucs: 18

Bucs declared WR Mike Williams (hamstring) inactive for Sunday's Week 6 game against the Eagles.

Williams was limited in practice on Wednesday and Thursday before getting downgraded to "DNP" on Friday. Perhaps a week off will do him some good as the red-zone threat has been battling this hamstring issue since Week 3. Look for Tiquan Underwood to fill in at the No. 2 wideout spot, but he is well off the fantasy radar with Mike Glennon starting.
The rest of the Bucs inactives: CB Michael Adams, DE William Gholston, CB Rashaan Melvin, G Carl Nicks, G Patrick Omameh and DE Trevor Scott.

Michael Vick is active as the Eagles' emergency quarterback only Sunday.

With normal emergency quarterback TE James Casey inactive, the Eagles are dressing Vick. But he'll only play if both starter Nick Foles and backup Matt Barkley go down. Still, the Eagles' willingness to make Vick active suggests his hamstring injury is showing rapid improvement. Consider him questionable for Week 7.
The rest of the Eagles inactives: CB Shaun Prater, CB Jordan Poyer, T Matt Tobin, T Dennis Kelly, DE Damion Square and TE Emil Igwenagu.

I expected a much uglier game. Our defense still has its share of weaknesses, but they played well enough for the team to get the win. More importantly, Nick Foles had a great game. I say start him from this point on. :yep:

Regardless of how talented they are, you can count on rookie cornerbacks getting lit up a few times during their first year in the league. Corner is just too tough of a position in the NFL for a rookie to play well every game all season. This was one of those days for Johnthan Banks.

Or maybe he's just trying to get his dumbass coach fired.

Edited by KempBolt
  • Upvote 1

Regardless of how talented they are, you can count on rookie cornerbacks getting lit up a few times during their first year in the league. Corner is just too tough of a position in the NFL for a rookie to play well every game all season. This was one of those days for Johnthan Banks.

Or maybe he's just trying to get his dumbass coach fired.

Maybe the MRSA thing was in his head, because Banks has been pretty good prior to today.

I hope Schiano gets fired tomorrow. I'm so sick of watching this crap every week. He continues to play Revis in zone and what do you know, DeSean Jackson gets 2 TD's because of it. We've now lost to Nick Foles twice in 2 years and he's had his 2 best games of his career against us.

Schiano sucks and it makes me sick to my stomach that we are wasting all of this talent. Bucs fans were expecting big things this season with all of the additions we have made in the past 2 years, and Schiano has turned this team into the laughing stock of the league. This season has been a disaster. I never could have imagined all of this crap happening.

At least there were 2 positives out of this game. Mike Glennon and Tim Wright. Mike Glennon had himself a very solid game and played better than Freeman did at any point this season (I know, not saying much). Yes, it was against the Eagles garbage D, but it was still nice to see. His deep ball was awful, but other than that, I was very impressed. Excited to see how he does next week. Tim Wright came up big for Glennon with 7 catches. We've been looking for someone to step up at TE all season and Wright has been pretty damn good these past 2 games.

Foles was simply amazing. I think he really made a statement for the starting job today. I've been saying since last season that he's a better QB than Vick. Foles demonstrated great accuracy, poise in the pocket, great decision making and got the ball out quick. He orchestrated our up tempo offense with much efficiency. Foles drives are much more methodical and he's putting TDs on the board; especially in the redzone. Vick's drives are very inconsistent. If the big play to Desean Jackson isn't there, he doesn't go to his 2nd 3rd or 4th read. If Desean doesn't have a big game, Vick doesn't either. He can't find the 2nd, 3rd or 4th guy. Nick Foles can and proved that spreading the ball around. Riley Cooper even got in the action and had a 120 yard game with a TD and looked like a viable #2 option with Foles at QB.. With Vick it's Desean or nobody because he can't go through his progression reads. Vick can't sustain consistency in his drives and doesn't end drives in TDs. Not good at QB fundamentals.

People can say what they want about us playing the Bucs but the Bucs defense has been solid this year. Tampa Bay was top 10 in defensive points per game before they played us. They also haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher dating back to last year and Shady had a good game. We killed them through the air and ground.

Here are the stats of QBs facing the Bucs defense this year:

Geno Smith: 24/38, 256 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 80.6 rating
Drew Brees: 26/46, 322 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 67.5 rating
Tom Brady: 25/36, 225 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 92.9 rating
Carson Palmer: 21/38, 248 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 62.2 rating
Nick Foles: 22/31, 296 yards, 4 TD, 1 rushing, 0 INT, 133.3 rating
Our defense is still bad. Glennon did show some promise and had a good game outside of the pic which wasn't even his fault. Vincent Jackson abused us (especially Cary Williams bum ass) along with Tim Wright. However, Bradley Fletcher put together another great game and is really coming along. I look forward to him playing next week. Our pass rush was pretty quiet for the most part of the game except for Fletcher Cox who was a boss all night. I'd like to see Vinny Curry get more snaps. Every time he hits the field, he makes an immediate impact; #Free Curry!!
Overall, our offense was great but our defense and Billy Davis need to figure it out.
Edited by dutchff7

Foles was simply amazing. I think he really made a statement for the starting job today. I've been saying since last season that he's a better QB than Vick. Foles demonstrated great accuracy, poise in the pocket, great decision making and got the ball out quick. He orchestrated our up tempo offense with much efficiency. Foles drives are much more methodical and he's putting TDs on the board; especially in the redzone. Vick's drives are very inconsistent. If the big play to Desean Jackson isn't there, he doesn't go to his 2nd 3rd or 4th read. If Desean doesn't have a big game, Vick doesn't either. He can't find the 2nd, 3rd or 4th guy. Nick Foles can and proved that spreading the ball around. Riley Cooper even got in the action and had a 120 yard game with a TD and looked like a viable #2 option with Foles at QB.. With Vick it's Desean or nobody because he can't go through his progression reads. Vick can't sustain consistency in his drives and doesn't end drives in TDs. Not good at QB fundamentals.

People can say what they want about us playing the Bucs but the Bucs defense has been solid this year. Tampa Bay was top 10 in defensive points per game before they played us. They also haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher dating back to last year and Shady had a good game. We killed them through the air and ground.

Here are the stats of QBs facing the Bucs defense this year:

Geno Smith: 24/38, 256 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 80.6 rating
Drew Brees: 26/46, 322 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 67.5 rating
Tom Brady: 25/36, 225 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 92.9 rating
Carson Palmer: 21/38, 248 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 62.2 rating
Nick Foles: 22/31, 296 yards, 4 TD, 1 rushing, 0 INT, 133.3 rating
Our defense is still bad. Glennon did show some promise and had a good game outside of the pic which wasn't even his fault. Vincent Jackson abused us (especially Cary Williams bum ass) along with Tim Wright. However, Bradley Fletcher put together another great game and is really coming along. I look forward to him playing next week. Our pass rush was pretty quiet for the most part of the game except for Fletcher Cox who was a boss all night. I'd like to see Vinny Curry get more snaps. Every time he hits the field, he makes an immediate impact; #Free Curry!!
Overall, our offense was great but our defense and Billy Davis need to figure it out.

With the talent we have on the defensive side of the ball there isn't much Billy Davis can do. Mychal Kendricks is straight up trash. Cole and Ryans are playing out of scheme, we have no safeties and anytime Cary Williams sees the field we get fucked over. I'd like to see us keep Billy Davis around so we can have some consistency and give him a chance to get his kind of guys here.

Poor Demeco Ryans. He keeps getting shoved into 3-4 defenses that he's not made for. I'd feel sorry for him if he hadn't smashed his shoulder into the top of Malcom Floyd's head.

With the talent we have on the defensive side of the ball there isn't much Billy Davis can do. Mychal Kendricks is straight up trash. Cole and Ryans are playing out of scheme, we have no safeties and anytime Cary Williams sees the field we get fucked over. I'd like to see us keep Billy Davis around so we can have some consistency and give him a chance to get his kind of guys here.

Exactly my point to what I've been saying for a while. Why are we playing out of scheme of the players we have on our roster? Trent Cole, Demeco Ryans, Brandon Graham; our D-line in general seems to be a better fit for 4-3 period. Our director on defense Demeco Ryans is a 4-3 man. Our coaches talked about building a scheme around our personnel. As of right now, our personnel seems to be most suited for 4-3. They are forcing a 3-4 on our defense. I'm not saying it's never going to work in the long run but we are playing out of scheme in accordance to the players no our roster.

Exactly my point to what I've been saying for a while. Why are we playing out of scheme of the players we have on our roster? Trent Cole, Demeco Ryans, Brandon Graham; our D-line in general seems to be a better fit for 4-3 period. Our director on defense Demeco Ryans is a 4-3 man. Our coaches talked about building a scheme around our personnel. As of right now, our personnel seems to be most suited for 4-3. They are forcing a 3-4 on our defense. I'm not saying it's never going to work in the long run but we are playing out of scheme in accordance to the players no our roster.

It could work better to mix in some 4-3 this year.I would mix it in if I was the DC, but I don't really have a problem with them sticking to the 3-4. Our defense sucked ass last year when we ran the 4-3 too. Only complaint I really have thus far with Davis is MOAR CURRY. Other than that he's put together some good schemes considering the talent we have on defense. At least we're forcing some turn overs this year. That was Davis' main goal and he's accomplished it.

• Upvote 1