Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Ravens @ Steelers

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131020023&home=23&vis=33

(AP) -- While the Baltimore Ravens are looking to solve the problems that have contributed to their poor start, the Pittsburgh Steelers hope another win can provide a springboard to their turnaround.

The defending Super Bowl champion Ravens will try to avoid their worst seven-game start in eight years Sunday when they visit a Pittsburgh team looking to continue to emerge from the franchise's worst start in 45 years.

After losing two of three - including last Sunday's 19-17 home defeat against Green Bay - Baltimore (3-3) is on the verge of falling below .500 through its first seven games for the first time since 2005.

The Ravens haven't been able to get anything established on the ground. Since averaging 118.8 rushing yards during their championship season, they've struggled with 72.7 yards per game - sixth-fewest in the NFL.

Two weeks after attempting a franchise record-low nine rushes for 24 yards, Baltimore could muster only 47 yards against the Packers.

They're averaging 2.7 yards per carry, better than only Jacksonville.

"There's a lot that goes into it," coach John Harbaugh said. "There are many different things that we've looked at over the last few days to try to improve. We definitely have the men to do the job. We've got the talent up front and at running back."

Ray Rice is the only player in Ravens history to have four straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons, but that's a streak that will come to an end at his current pace. The two-time All-Pro is averaging a career-low 2.8 yards per carry after finishing with 34 yards on 14 carries Sunday.

Rice, who insists he's recovered from a hip flexor strain that sidelined him in Week 3, has totaled 115 yards while averaging 2.3 per carry in his last three visits to Pittsburgh, including the 2011 AFC divisional playoffs.

"You can't consistently run for two yards a carry and be what you want to be as an offense," Harbaugh said.

The Steelers (1-4) had allowed opponents to run for at least 100 yards in four straight losses before limiting the New York Jets to 83 yards on 20 carries in Sunday's 19-6 victory.

At 2 1/2 games behind first-place Cincinnati, Pittsburgh hopes to begin its climb back from the AFC North basement with its first back-to-back wins in 13 games.

"We're not going to quit," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "Obviously, it wasn't the start we wanted, but the men in this locker room believe that there's a chance that something great can come out of this if we all work towards it."

After committing 11 turnovers during their worst start since opening 0-6 in 1968, the Steelers didn't have any against the Jets. They also had a pair of takeaways after creating none in their first four contests.

Pittsburgh will try to continue that effort against the rival Ravens, whose Super Bowl MVP quarterback is struggling to make plays with the running game grounded and a lack of weapons with Jacoby Jones battling a knee injury and Anquan Boldin gone to San Francisco.

Though Joe Flacco has thrown for an average of 319.3 yards in his last three games, he's completed 55.2 of his attempts with six picks while being sacked 11 times.

Flacco posted a 68.5 passer rating while throwing for 352 yards with one score and one pick as Baltimore split a pair of meetings with the Steelers last season.

"Obviously, they're a talented, capable team led by superstars in all three phases and they're defending world champs," Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin said. "They don't need an endorsement from me."

While he didn't face Baltimore last season because of injuries to his shoulder and ribs, Ben Roethlisberger has completed just 54.9 percent of his attempts for an average of 259.8 yards with six touchdowns and seven interceptions in his last six regular-season meetings with the Ravens.

Roethlisberger connected on 23 of 30 passes for 264 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions Sunday, ending a four-game streak with at least one pick.

The banged-up Steelers, however, won't have Levi Brown for the rest of the season after the new acquisition tore his triceps while warming up to make his debut. Kelvin Beachum, who struggled early before playing better in the second half, is expected to get another start at that spot.

Pittsburgh also lost tight end David Johnson for the year with a wrist injury, while rookie linebacker Jarvis Jones did not practice Wednesday due to a head injury.

The Steelers will try to avoid their fourth straight regular-season home loss to the Ravens.

Any other year and this would be the game of the week. This year though? Not so much.

:Ravens: 21

:Steelers: 13

With or without Bell, the Ravens will shut down the rushing attack and make Pitt one dimensional. Then it's a matter of their bevvy of pass rushers teeing off on Big Ben. I doubt Flacco & Co do anything special, but I think their defense will make it enough.

Ravens continue to struggle with there running game and lose a close one in Pittsburgh.

Ravens: 16

Steelers: 17

Ravens haven't lost to Pitt in a while, but I think that streak ends this week. Neither of these teams are any where near as good as they were supposed to be at the beginning of the season. Close defensive game, Pitt will run the ball better.

:Steelers: 18

:Ravens: 17

Ohhhh lord.....well both teams are pretty adept at fisting the shit out of themselves so this game is going to be a pretty epic suckfest. That said we win the shitty coaches battle in a landslide so we are going to lose a close one and run 85 % of the time on first down. LeBeau is going to have a field day with Caldwells predictable offense and our shitty play calling.

The good thing is pitts loine resembles that of pop warner so we are going to get home to ben a few times. That said Hayley/Tomlin is better than Harbs/CAldwell so their offense will be just enough I think.

It will be a close battle fo the two biggest underachievers.

• Upvote 1

I'll give you that Jim Caldwell sucks at OC so far, but it's 100% clear that John Harbaugh is a good NFL coach. Jesus.

I'd really like the Steelers to win this one but... I just don't know if I can get there. I will pick them just because Flacco is horrendous.

I'll give you that Jim Caldwell sucks at OC so far, but it's 100% clear that John Harbaugh is a good NFL coach. Jesus.

Oh yeah where is this proof ? I havent seen it yet.

image.JPG

Ohhhh so the old team accomplishment being used for the glorification of one guy....yeah that works....Not.

It is pretty fucking rich how you say Flacco is horrendous when he did more to get that Lombardi than Harbaugh. Watch how much sense that makes, hang on....

Joe-Flacco-Super-Bowl-MVP-e1360005613675

It is not possible for Flacco to be horrenbdous, you see that.

• Upvote 1

Flacco is the highest paid QB in the NFL, he is clearly the best. Where have you been, bro?

Flacco is the highest paid QB in the NFL, he is clearly the best. Where have you been, bro?

Oh see, how much does a SB really mean when trying to give the credit to one guy? He did more than Harbs to win it, but people can say Flacco sucks. Say Harbaugh sucks one time and people are in an uproar for a barely mediocre coach.

If Harbaugh was such a god damn genius how come he cant ever figure out the coaches around him are dog shit ? Because the dudes only background anything NFL was special teams and out ST sucks too. He has no idea about X's and O's, he has shitty challenges, and his clock management is fucking terrible.

What the fuck is left ?> Hope's and dream's? People need to wake up and realize we are winning in spite of the douche and not because of him.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

I just like how we aren't allowed to like Harbaugh but dislike his awful QB who went on an unbelievable hotstreak during the playoffs... Yet you can hate Harbaugh but still defend one of the worst QBs in the league.

What kind of coach are you looking for, if you could have anyone you wanted?

I just like how we aren't allowed to like Harbaugh but dislike his awful QB who went on an unbelievable hotstreak during the playoffs... Yet you can hate Harbaugh but still defend one of the worst QBs in the league.

What kind of coach are you looking for, if you could have anyone you wanted?

I didnt say you guys could not like him. I am well aware that you guys do. You are in fact the one who is trying to chastise me for not liking him. It is hard to play the victim when you guys are the ones who are saying I am crazy because I dont like him.

Flacco being one of the worst in the league is pretty inflammatory...

I am looking for one who actually might know what the fuck he is doing. This offseason I would have loved Ray Horton over John Harbaugh.. If I cant have him I will take Scott Frost. If the Tuna would come back I would take him. I wish we would have promoted Chuck Pagano to HC and fired Harbaugh. I would take Jim Harbaugh, John Fox, Tom Coughlin, Brian Kelly, Art Briles, just to name a few. Harbaugh is a bottom 3rd coach in this league and just like his love slave Cam Cameron belongs in college.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

Let's be honest though.. You should hate Flacco. His unbelievable playoff run guaranteed that you will have to put up with Harbaugh and Flacco for the next 5+ years. Ohhhh, the price of success. :laugh:

Let's be honest though.. You should hate Flacco. His unbelievable playoff run guaranteed that you will have to put up with Harbaugh and Flacco for the next 5+ years. Ohhhh, the price of success. :laugh:

Fucking tell me about it. It was bittersweet when we won the SB. I was ecstatis we won but I knew an extension for Harbaughs mediocre ass was right around the corner :shifty: