Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Trade Scenarios

So we're 6 weeks into this season and the trade deadline is approaching. The NFL is never an active trade market, but who knows... maybe your team will be one of the few involved in a deal that goes down. So if you're a buyer, what position are you looking for help at? Any likely targets? If you're a seller, who would you move and what would you want?

:Chargers:

I can see the Chargers being buyers or sellers based on what happens this coming week. If we lose to Jacksonville, we're not going anywhere this season. If we win, then perhaps our FO tries to bolster a weak spot. I see that weak spot being pass rusher for sure. Note: I realize that all of these scenarios are highly unlikely; just theorizing on a Friday.

So if we buy:

• Brian Orakpo: Washington must be close to realizing that their season is going nowhere, even in the lowly NFCE. And Orakpo is a FA at season's end, which could drive the price down. It carries the risk of potentially being a rental, but getting him relatively cheap and then potentially resigning him before he hits the market would be worth it.
  • Lamarr Houston: Houston is a stud and has actually spent a lot of time this season as a stand up pass rusher. Oakland might look to move him if the price is right in the case that they feel like they won't be able to afford him this coming offseason.
  • Shea McClellin: McClellin didn't look like a fit at 4-3 DE coming out and he still doesn't. Most likely not, but maybe the Bears cut bait on him early to recoop some of the value they spent on him when they drafted him.
  • Jabaal Sheard: Sheard is probably the Brown's most consistent pass rusher, but he's been banged up and probably isn't an integral piece of Cleveland's future plans after giving Kruger big money and drafting Mingo high.
  • Everson Griffen: A good candidate to switch to a 3-4. Keeping his price tag potentially low are the facts that he isn't technically a starter and he's a FA at season's end.
  • Matt Shaughnessy: Shaughn has looked good in Arizona's 3-4 scheme, and if they start feeling like the season is essentially over for them they may look to get something for him if they can.

And if we sell:

• Antonio Gates: As much as I HATE the idea of dealing Gates, it would be the smart business decision if we got the right offer and the season looks basically over. We have an uber talented youngster behind him in the form of Ladarius Green and moving him would free up a lot of cap space for the coming seasons. We'd have to get a 2nd based on how he's playing this season for me to be OK with it.
  • Jarret Johnson: JJ has been playing some great football this season. He's shut down rushing lanes to his side and has shown that he can provide some pass rush when given the opportunity. But he's old and expensive. If our PO hopes are essentially dead, I'd be happy to get a 4th or 5th for him.

If we wanted to go all out I'd say maybe try to swing something for Josh Gordon or V-Jax. Don't know if either scenario is possible atm but either one of those guys drastically improves our offense and gives teams another weapon besides DeSean and McCoy to fear Maybe trade for a guy like Charles Woodson or George Wilson to give us a solid veteran to help shore up the secondary. Tony Gonzalez would be a good get to maybe push our offense over the top.

Who would I like to trade DeMeco Ryans. I think he could still present value for 4-3 team Same with Trent Cole.Basically any of the 4-3 defensive pieces we can move for a draft pick to build our new defense I would do.

I dunno who would be on the market, but getting a healthy CB who is better than Tony Carter would be a godsend.

I dunno who would be on the market, but getting a healthy CB who is better than Tony Carter would be a godsend.

Besides Carter and the lack of consistent pass rush, what's the problem with that secondary? Who can't cover?

Our linebackers are actually shitshows in coverage. DRC is hit or miss, but put the blame on Tony Carter and all of our other guys being in recovery from injuries.

Delete

Edited by Cheese Head

Also, If I'm the Jags, I might think about trading Justin Blackmon. I could be wrong, but it just seems like Blackmon will never be the marquee number 1 WR he was supposed to be coming out of the draft. I think he's a solid player though who can be a good number 2 or 3 option for a team out there.

If I'm a team like Dallas, like I said before, I consider moving Tony Romo if a team like Houston offers up their soul, which is a possibility

If I'm the Falcons I look to move Tony Gonzalez. Plenty of teams could use Tony G right now to put them over the edge and with things going the way they are in Atlanta it might be a good idea to settle on not making the playoffs and possibly getting a mid round draft pick for a veteran you might not even have next year.

This might be unpopular, but if the Vikings can get a major haul for Adrian Peterson I think they would be smart to pull the trigger. Elite teams aren't built around elite running backs and by the time they get a franchise QB in there and established, it might be close to curtains on AP's career. Surely he's an awesome weapon and would be a fantastic "luxury" on an offense with a good QB, but alone he's just a guy that's going to be fun to watch and isn't going to carry his offense to too many playoff berths. In the 6 seasons that the offense has truly revolved around him (07,08,10-13; excluding 2009 b/c Favre was the focal point that season), the team will have only made the playoffs twice (assuming this is not a PO season for them) and lost in the wildcard round both times. That isn't AP's fault, but that's what happens to teams built around franchise RB's instead of franchise QB's. Compare the Vikings to the Falcons, who have made the playoffs 4 out of the 5 seasons since they acquired their franchise QB in 2008, and still had a winning record in 2009 when they missed the postseason.

If he was young, it would be different. Then Minny could find a real QB to pair with him as they tried to do with Ponder. But now you're talking about a guy who turns 29 right after this season. Probably has a handful of good seasons left that won't approach 2012, and that's about it. What would be better for the Vikings- to have those few seasons while they try to find a QB and build around him, or to have a few more top-end draft picks to build for the future around said QB? I tend to lean towards the latter.

I don't think they should trade him for just anything, but if some team is silly enough to offer two firsts or something like that, it could genuinely pay off. Trent Richardson drew a first, so perhaps a couple of them or even more isn't out of the question for Peterson. Vikings' fans would probably revolt, but they would see the wisdom of it in time as long as the FO didn't totally waste those selections (which seems unlikely now, as all 3 first round picks look to be hits so far).

Edited by KempBolt

Our linebackers are actually shitshows in coverage. DRC is hit or miss, but put the blame on Tony Carter and all of our other guys being in recovery from injuries.

One consideration is that, while they certainly have not been good, the results are going to be skewed due to how much time Denver spends with the lead. When teams have to catch up all the time, they pass, and when they pass they get yardage.

Vikings' fans would probably revolt, but they would see the wisdom of it in time as long as the FO didn't totally waste those selections (which seems unlikely now, as all 3 first round picks look to be hits so far).

I don't really see how you can say that Cordarelle Patterson is a hit considering his limited play time, and I don't know about Sharrif Floyd either.

As far as trade scenarios for Carolina goes, I'd wait to see how the game with the Rams goes. If we win, we're at 3-3 and right back in it, and I wouldn't mind giving a draft pick for a good WR.

Edited by Thanatos19

I don't really know. I feel like the Broncos could benefit from a pass rusher, but I need to see how we do with Von coming back this week. Phillips/Ayers have been doing ok so far, so they should only pick it up more now with Von taking the attention.

DT would be an interesting pickup, but I'm not sure who would be on the market. Kevin Vickerson probably only has a few years left, and Sly Williams has been completely unimpressive so far in comparison to the other top DTs taken this year.

If I'm the Broncos I'm selling. Julius Thomas and Virgil Green have made Jacob Tamme and Joel Dreesen expendable. I don't think it would take much to get a low-round pick out of a needy team for either of them. I would hate to see it happen, but the market value for Eric Decker should be pretty high right now, and it's a definite possibility that we won't have the cap room to re-sign him after this season anyway with all the other contracts coming up.

Vikings' fans would probably revolt, but they would see the wisdom of it in time as long as the FO didn't totally waste those selections (which seems unlikely now, as all 3 first round picks look to be hits so far).

I don't really see how you can say that Cordarelle Patterson is a hit considering his limited play time, and I don't know about Sharrif Floyd either.

As far as trade scenarios for Carolina goes, I'd wait to see how the game with the Rams goes. If we win, we're at 3-3 and right back in it, and I wouldn't mind giving a draft pick for a good WR.

I said they look like hits so far because they've had good moments in their limited playing time, though Patterson is still developing as a pro receiver (as every analyst expected) and Floyd got going slowly after a knee scope but is starting to heat up. Patterson is being refined in his technique running routes and getting off the line, but he's obviously the playmaker with the ball in his hands that the Vikings were looking for (see the filthy 34 yd KR average on 12 attempts, including a touchdown). And Floyd has gotten to the QB for a sack in each of the last two games.

I would disown the Vikings for a few seasons if we traded away Peterson. Fuck logic, we have an emotional attachment to that man.

I would disown the Vikings for a few seasons if we traded away Peterson. Fuck logic, we have an emotional attachment to that man.

I understand that. Had we traded Tomlinson in 2007, I would have flipped. But had we gotten a huge haul and used it wisely, I'd probably be happy now.

I understand that. Had we traded Tomlinson in 2007, I would have flipped. But had we gotten a huge haul and used it wisely, I'd probably be happy now.

I'm pretty confident we'd use whatever picks we received wisely. I think Spielman is a pretty solid GM, though that may be fan bias. I just don't want to see my favorite player leave town - ever. :shifty:

AP needs to retire a Viking.

Unlike the Vikings we lucked out on two QBs so we would've never had to trade LT. I'm actually still mad we let him go to the Jets.

Wouldn't the Vikings be smacked with a giant cap hit if they let go of AP via trade? I'm no expert on contracts although I should be.

No, the team they trade him to would inherit his contract, You only get cap hits when releasing a dude,

Unlike the Vikings we lucked out on two QBs so we would've never had to trade LT. I'm actually still mad we let him go to the Jets.

We could have used picks to keep the roster strong. But it probably wouldn't have mattered. A.J. would have wasted them.

Wouldn't the Vikings be smacked with a giant cap hit if they let go of AP via trade? I'm no expert on contracts although I should be.

No, the team they trade him to would inherit his contract, You only get cap hits when releasing a dude,

You still take a cap hit when trading a player.