southgadawg

MLB 2013 winter off season thread

Not sure if someone was going to start one of these or not. The Red Sox have their World Series trophy (Postseason is over) and free agency is about to start. Who re-signs with their 2013 team and who ends up leaving for the proverbial "greener" pasture. Who ends up traded? I am sure many people will have some hot topics before the Hot Stove season is over and Spring Training gets here (can't wait already lol).

I expect Robinson Cano to re-sign with the Yankees but I also expect Brian McCann to end up in the American League (most likely Rangers or even Yanks).

Not sure about a contest (or prizes for one at least lol) but I will list the top 25 free agents according to ESPN (who someway didn't have a #3 on their FA tracker lol--so I went to #26). I don't agree on their order exactly but oh well it is a list. Feel free to speculate:

Robinson Cano

Jacoby Ellsbury

Ubaldo Jiminez

Shin-Soo choo

Ervin Santana

Ricky Nolasco

Brian McCann

Stephen Drew

AJ Burnett

Matt Garza

Mike Napoli

Curtis Granderson

Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Bartolo Colon

Jhonny Peralta

Carlos Beltran

Scott Feldmon

Hiroki Kuroda

Scott Kazmir

Tim Hudson

Dan Haren

Nelson Cruz

Juan Uribe

Kendry Morales

Jason Vargas

Will post my guesses a bit later on where they end up. Kinda pressed for time right now.

Won't do all 25 of those right now but I'll do some.

Robinson Cano - Yankees

Jacoby Ellsbury - Cubs

Brian McCann - Red Sox

Shin-Soo Choo - Mets

Ubaldo Jimenez - Angels

Matt Garza - Rangers (at least I'd hope they'd bring him back after that package they gave up)

Mike Napoli - Red Sox

Robinson Cano Yanks

Jacoby Ellsbury mariners

Ubaldo Jiminez indians

Shin-Soo choo astros

Ervin Santana nationals

Ricky Nolasco orioles

Brian McCann red sox

Stephen Drew red sox

AJ Burnett Pirates or retire

Matt Garza Rangers

Mike Napoli red sox

Curtis Granderson cubs

Jarrod Saltalamacchia yankees

Bartolo Colon athletics

Jhonny Peralta yankees

Carlos Beltran tigers

Scott Feldmon orioles

Hiroki Kuroda yankees

Scott Kazmir indians

Tim Hudson braves

Dan Haren giants

Nelson Cruz rangers

Juan Uribe dodgers

Kendry Morales mariners

Jason Vargas angels

I thought hard and long about these. I think the vast majority of the ones who got qualifying offers will stay with their teams from last year. Some of the teams that I think want to be major players. I think some of the teams like the Phillies, Rockies, Jays and Braves will be more active on the trade front if they are going to make improvements than on the free agent front. I would LOVE for the Braves to trade a package for David Price and maybe do a lesser signing of Omar Infante.....but tbh as long as Dan Uggla isn't the starting secondbaseman I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler Pastornicky (who i was excited about till he got hurt) or Ramiro Pena start at second (who also got injured) or even the youngster Tommy LaStella coming out of spring training. B.J. Upton has to produce better as well.

Edited by southgadawg

Matt Carpenter won a silver slugger :rock:

Matt Carpenter won a silver slugger :rock:

He very much deserved it too. I was kinda surprised (but not overly) that Pedro Alvarez won the silver slugger over Chris Johnson. Guess homeruns (even with the massive strikeouts and low average he had) outweigh the basehits that CJ had all year. I do understand that Johnson didn't start the season as the starter (it was a platoon) and that Gonzalez had him batting in the beginning of the season in the 7 and 8 slots before later on moving him up a bit. That hurt Johnson's rbi totals for sure. Still I don't think the Braves minded the .358 OBP or even the .816 OPS they got from the "add-on" in the Justin Upton trade. For the record Alvarez even with all the dingers only had a .770 OPS along with a less than stellar .296 OBP--- and I do think when he is hot he is a scary bat in that line-up who hits some clutch dingers.

Cubs hire Rick Renteria as manager. I'm just glad it wasn't Girardi.

Choo, please, for the Mets. We have the money to spend. :yep:

And David Wright not winning the Silver Slugger at 3rd base is laughable. I guess they took into acount the missed time due to injury? If he doesn't miss August he wins it, EASILY, IMO.

.307/.390/.514 with a .904 OPS for the majority of the season. :yep:

Edited by BLUE
  • Upvote 1

Choo, please, for the Mets. We have the money to spend. :yep:

And David Wright not winning the Silver Slugger at 3rd base is laughable. I guess they took into acount the missed time due to injury? If he doesn't miss August he wins it, EASILY, IMO.

.307/.390/.514 with a .904 OPS for the majority of the season. :yep:

Wright did have an outstanding season however he only played in a 112 games and didn't have enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting race (otherwise he probably would had gotten more votes). Wright is a MAJOR piece for the mets when he is healthy for sure...there overall best player imho (and an overall good guy---but as a braves fan i can't officially say that last part lol).

The mets overall puzzle me. I know they have recently had some supposed financial hardships but with their market I don't see why they aren't spending more money on GOOD quality players (although that is probably harder to do than it is to say). The injury to Harvey is a definite bummer for the organization for sure (and the fans as well as Harvey himself I am sure). The mets have a LOT of holes though. Duda and Davis both have shown promise but they took steps back last year majorly. SS was a disaster but I don't think Peralta or Stephen Drew will be signed there. Choo is a great player in my mind in the right role though. Choo defensively is a minus defender in center and had major issues versus left handed pitching (which there are some decent ones in the NL east). The mets need to make some additions to be more competitive and I wouldn't be surprised if they made some low level and even a medium level free agent acquisition. I just don't look for them to hook up with any of the big names. With that said, lol they may surprise me.

Edited by southgadawg

What exactly is the minimum number of plate appearances to qualify for the Silver Slugger award, because I have NEVER seen an actual number? :think: I don't really think there is one.

Edited by BLUE

What exactly is the minimum number of plate appearances to qualify for the Silver Slugger award, because I have NEVER seen an actual number? :think: I don't really think there is one.

Actually there isn't that i am aware of. I was just GUESSING that may had been one of the factors that had kept Wright from it. The minimum for the batting race is 502 plate appearance. In other words I was guessing that most may not thought he played enough games or had enough at-bats to be the best choice.

Does anyone know anything about Miguel Alfredo Gonzalz?

Does anyone know anything about Miguel Alfredo Gonzalz?

Gonzalez is expected to be in the starting rotation for the Phillies this upcoming season. He is 27 years old and from Cuba but hasn't really pitched in the last two seasons from my understanding. There are also questions about bone chips in his elbow I believe. IF he shines like he once did in the Cuban leagues then there is the very real possiblity that he will be very effective. From the way I recall (and tbh my memory isn't what it once was lol) the more established former Cuban pitchers normally do very well their first season or so...after that their is a tail off (the super young ones like Adrolis Chapman not so much...just dominating). I understand he has a very performance laden contract. The Phillies are counting on him to pitch some competitive innings for them for sure though..

I didn't know about the bone chips in his elbow but he was signed to a pretty cheap deal. Seems like a pretty good contract to roll the dice on and nobody has seen this guy pitch so I think if he's healthy he could be tough to figure out for a while

I didn't know about the bone chips in his elbow but he was signed to a pretty cheap deal. Seems like a pretty good contract to roll the dice on and nobody has seen this guy pitch so I think if he's healthy he could be tough to figure out for a while

I actually believe that the bone chips were part of the contract negotiation...the SECOND ONE. From what little I understand they initially signed Gonzalez to a guaranteed contract and only later approached the bone chips (which weren't discussed in the initial contract negotiations. Whether the Phillies knew about it beforehand and were just using it as a ploy to get closer to him (sign the contract....then void it because the injury was non-disclosed) or whether they just found out about it after the first contract. The second contract (the one he is under) is more performance driven.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/12/phillies-hope-miguel-alfredo-gonzalez-will-open-2014-in-the-starting-rotation/

Fernandez beat out Puig for NL rookie of the year. Yes!

Fernandez beat out Puig for NL rookie of the year. Yes!

Thankfully the voters got one right. Fernandez had one of the best seasons ever for a rookie pitcher.

• Upvote 1

Phillies signed mid-level type free agent Marlon Byrd to a two year contract for $16 million. Byrd had a great bounceback year with the Mets and Pirates in 2013 after a worse than dismal season with the cubs/bosox in 2012.

Clint Hurdles wins NL Manager of the Year. For all his faults, he is pretty good. We could do a lot worse, that's for sure. Pretty glad to have him. Yay Clint!

Clint Hurdles wins NL Manager of the Year. For all his faults, he is pretty good. We could do a lot worse, that's for sure. Pretty glad to have him. Yay Clint!

Yes I think Hurdle did a great job and even if he got sympathy votes for the fact that the Pirates hadn't made the postseason in a ton of years I still think he deserved it.

As expected all 13 free agents who received qualifying offers from their 2013 team have turned them down to explore the market. This is not unusual, and in years past there have frequently been teams that have ended up re-signing their former players just not at the single year qualifying price. There is certainly activity out there for now as the agents are jockeying for dollars with various teams. One player who I am surprised is getting as much attention as they apparently have so far is Nelson Cruz. Yes he is talented but he is aging, doesn't play the field well and has been totally injury prone his whole career. It looks however that someone may be willing to pay him good money AND send a draft pick the Ranger's way. I for one think it would be a very bad investment.

The Athletics signed FA infielder Nick Punto to a $3 million dollar one year contract. This gives them several infielders on the current roster. Alberto Callaspo, Josh Donaldson, Jed Lowrie, Hiroyuki Nakajima (who didn't pan out last season at all), Scott Sizemore, Eric Sogard and Jemille Weeks. I am wondering if some trade is in the works for this many infielders? or could be someone on the way out.

Going to make a few changes to my predictions based on some rumblings.

Robinson Cano Yanks

Jacoby Ellsbury mariners

Ubaldo Jiminez indians

Shin-Soo choo astros

Ervin Santana nationals

Ricky Nolasco orioles

Brian McCann red sox

Stephen Drew red sox---Cardinals. Although they have pieces they could trade I think now they may sign Drew.

AJ Burnett Pirates or retire

Matt Garza Rangers

Mike Napoli red sox

Curtis Granderson cubs

Jarrod Saltalamacchia yankees

Bartolo Colon athletics

Jhonny Peralta yankees---mets. I was thinking that the yanks might want offense out of 3rd base but now I feel that the mets will want to plug their huge gap at SS.

Carlos Beltran tigers

Scott Feldmon orioles

Hiroki Kuroda yankees

Scott Kazmir indians

Tim Hudson braves

Dan Haren giants

Nelson Cruz rangers--Phillies. I have a feeling that Dominic Brown will be traded while he has value, but I think signing Cruz would be a mistake.

Juan Uribe dodgers---Yankees. If peralta is signed by someone then Uribe would be a fairly cheap choice at third.

Kendry Morales mariners

Jason Vargas angels

Miguel Cabrera wins AL MVP. We knew he would get it, but Trout is still the better player.

Andrew McCutchen wins NL MVP. Definitely the right choice there.