southgadawg

MLB 2013 winter off season thread

I still like that deal considering Freeman's age and ability. I bet by the end the Braves will get their money's worth out of it, especially as contracts for good players continue to rise over the life of Freeman's contract.

Phillies sign A.J. Burnett 1 year 16 mil.

I wanted him back, but he's not worth that much. He'll give up a lot of homers in that bandbox. I'll always remember him for helping to turn us around, though.

Edit: Just saw that Hamels has shoulder tendinitis and won't be ready for Opening Day. It's cute that the Phillies still think they can win now. lolRubenAmaroJr. Time to rebuild, son.

Edited by Sarge

With Burnett officially out of the picture:

Projected 2014 Pittsburgh Pirates Opening Day Starting Rotation:

SP1 – Francisco Liriano

SP2 – Gerrit Cole

SP3 – Charlie Morton

SP4 – Edinson Volquez

SP5 – Wandy Rodriguez

Early Season Depth – Jeff Locke, Jeanmar Gomez, Brandon Cumpton, Phil Irwin, Stolmy Pimentel

Second Half Depth – Jameson Taillon, Nick Kingham, Kyle McPherson, Casey Sadler

I think with an elite defensive catcher and 2 elite defensive outfielders, this rotation should give us a great shot at competing for the playoffs again in 2014.

Sarge I can't see why Philly wanted to pay Burnett THAT much money. Yes he had a fantastic season but duplicating it will be difficult for sure especially since the Phillies defense is not nearly as good as the D of the Pirates. I think IF (and only IF) the Phillies can catch 'lightning in a bottle' with a few of their players having bounce back type years then they will be dangerous. But I honestly expect them to be very inconsistent and play horrible defense.

Burnett is a flyball pitcher. Bad news in Citizens Bank Park. And the Phillies don't have an elite defensive catcher (Martin), elite defensive CF (McCutchen) and elite defensive LF (Marte).

If we had a decent lineup I'd be happy about the deal even though we're overpaying. But we don't have a decent lineup. So yeah, we suck. In a best case scenario, Burnett keeps us out of the cellar and stuck in mediocrity, where we belong.

Pretty sure most of the Phillies roster is collecting social security.

I hate the Yankees, but I'm really the first person to post about Derek Jeter retiring after this season?

I always respected him even though I hated his team. Same with Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams, Joe Torre etc.

Edited by BLUE

I hate the Yankees, but I'm really the first person to post about Derek Jeter retiring after this season?

I always respected him even though I hated his team. Same with Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams, Joe Torre etc.

Agreed. Fuck the Yankees, but Jeter is class.

Deal is 6/32.4 with an option for 2020. Love it. Now get Simmons and we contend for years.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/atlanta-braves-sign-six-year-contract-with-pitcher-julio-teheran?ymd=20140214&content_id=67770938&vkey=news_mlb

My only concern is that he has only had one season and pitchers burn out so easy. Look at what happened to Jair Jurrjens and to Tommy Hanson. It looked like both of them had bright futures but both of them have careers in jeopardy now. I really hope this deal works out.

It's roughly 5.5 a year. Even if he burns out, I think it was a great investment for the Braves. 5.5 is relatively nothing in the MLB these days -- and if he does continue to improve? What a huge steal they just got. Even if he doesn't get any better, just do what he did last year and I could settle with giving him 5.5 million a year. :laugh:

I'm just glad that we're actually spending money and not acting like some small market team. Georgia is a hot bed for baseball talent and the people here love the game. You are a big market team. Spend like it. Love it.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I didn't realize what the money part was (think you posted that info while i was typing my other post). I am also glad to see the Braves planning more on the future despite the fact that from my understanding they actually have the worst tv contract of any team. Now we just need to get Simmons wrapped up long time because even if he doesn't hit any better (which I think he will) his glove alone is unreal and saves a ton of runs.

Oh and fangraphs had an interesting article imho on Teheran:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/julio-teheran-and-hidden-inflation/

Edited by southgadawg

I'm one of those guys who thinks $10.5M per year is ridiculous for a bullpen pitcher, but if there's anyone who's worth it, it's Kimbrel. Braves are locking up cornerstones left and right,

I generally agree with you... But as the best closer in the game right now, it looks like a huge steal with guys like Soriano making $14 per and Papelbon making $13 per. The Braves are killing it with these deals they've negotiated recently. Locking up their biggest stars for (and I very well could be wrong) what I perceive be a decent amount under market value.

The "Trade Kimbrel" rhetoric was floating around mainly because fans felt we'd need to replenish the farm because Heyward and Freeman would walk. Freeman obviously isn't and Heyward may or may not. But now that we have a good deal of guys locked up long term, this is better. Nice to see that beautiful breaking ball in a Braves uniform for a few more years.

Francisco Liriano named Opening Day starter, as expected.

Cubs shook.

Been awhile since we have looked at the ESPN free agent tracker to see where they have signed and who is still available:

Robinson Cano--mariners

Jacoby Ellsbury--yanks

Ubaldo Jiminez---O's

Shin-Soo choo---rangers

Ervin Santana--FA

Ricky Nolasco--dodgers

Brian McCann--yanks

Stephen Drew---FA

AJ Burnett---phillies

Matt Garza---brewers

Mike Napoli--red sox

Curtis Granderson--mets

Jarrod Saltalamacchia--marlins

Bartolo Colon--mets

Jhonny Peralta--cards

Carlos Beltran--yanks

Scott Feldmon--astros

Hiroki Kuroda--yanks

Scott Kazmir---A's

Tim Hudson--giants

Dan Haren--dodgers

Nelson Cruz--FA

Juan Uribe--dodgers

Kendry Morales--FA

Jason Vargas--royals

kinda surprised so many players out of that list are still unsigned. Of that list and my INITIAL picks I listed I got Napoli, Kuroda, and Uribe right. Pretty pitiful so far lol.