Sign in to follow this  
BC

Colts bench Richardson

The Indianapolis Colts have finally decided to ride the hot hand.

Running back Trent Richardson will be benched in favor of Donald Brown, NFL Media columnist Michael Silver reported Sunday on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay First."

Richardson will be the second-string back with a reduced workload, Silver said.

The Colts traded their 2014 first-round draft pick to the Cleveland Browns for the former No. 3 overall pick earlier this season. Richardson has struggled to produce in nine games with the Colts, averaging 2.8 yards per carry.

"It's a bottom-line biz," a source told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport regarding Richardson's demotion. "Change needed to be made. Donald is our most productive guy."

Brown has displayed more explosiveness and an ability to create creases, whereas Richardson has been stymied.

According to Rapoport, the Colts still believe in Richardson's future, but, with playoff positioning on the line, they need to ride the hot hand.

In other Colts news, Silver reported that Jeffrey Linkenbach will replace Mike McGlynn at right guard in an effort to shake up a struggling offensive line.

Silver added that offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton is under pressure within the Colts' facility to "step up his game" after the offense got off to slow starts in the past several weeks. According to two sources, there a feeling that Hamilton might be having a tough time adjusting in his first season as an NFL play-caller.

According to Silver, there is a belief that the team has struggled to free up receivers in the wake of Reggie Wayne's injury. The play-calling might get more imaginative and aggressive this week to combat the bracket coverage T.Y. Hilton is facing.

This shouldn't really surprise anyone at this point, the benching I mean, he has played absolutely abysmal.

What's surprising is his actual play. What happened? What happened to Richardson from last season? He wasn't anything spectacular, but he had great burst and was able break tackles. He was certainly a more than serviceable back last season. Now, he's lucky to be on the Colts' depth chart. I'm not sure his performance up to this point would even warrant a roster spot for most NFL teams right now. The Browns really pulled one over on everyone, didn't they? Damn!

He was never that good. People like myself, and many others fell in love with the physical specimen that he was and how well put together he looked, and how much of a good character he is, completely ignoring his downfalls and shortcomings.

Even last year, I get to see every Cleveland game because I live so close to Ohio I get two fox channels, and he really was nothing impressive. He's got no second gear, average to bad vision most of the time, bad explosion at the LOS, and sluggish agility. He's a bust, and the Browns hosed the Colts.

Trent Richardson has everything you don't want in a RB, everything Dmac mentioned and the fact he goes down far to often with first contact.

It's not the performance that surprises me it's what they gave up, I mean, they basically have to name him their week 1 starter next year with a changes OLine, right?

Sunk Cost Fallacy. If Richardson continues being garbage throughout the season, he could be on he bench or even cut by preseason. The money is already burned on Richardson, if you aren't gonna get your returns on him just cut him loose.

Now demoted to the Colts' second-string tailback, Trent Richardson admits he never got comfortable in Indy's running scheme and never fully grasped the offense.

T-Rich's tackle-breaking ability and open-field burst are still there, but he has been running without confidence and seemingly without instincts ever since arriving in Indianapolis. "He came to me, he wasn't pouting or anything," Reggie Wayne explained. "This was the next day after he found out he was demoted and he said, 'Now I can sit back and actually watch the way it's supposed to be done.' He kind of feels that he was maybe forced into it early without actually learning it." Wayne's advice to Richardson was "Do better. Practice harder. Study longer."

"Do better. Practice harder. Study longer."

Trent should hang this up in his locker. Would do him heaps of good. Ability is there.

Remember when everyone called me stupid for saying that I wouldn't take Richardson in the top 10 and I'd have drafted an OT as the Browns?

Remember when the Browns traded up a single spot to get T-Rich?