Sign in to follow this  
BC

Richard Sherman

Is Richard Sherman a selfish, villain, cocky player?

Richard Sherman's parents are coming their son's defense after his post-game tirade following the NFC Championship made him a lightning rod for controversy.

"People really misunderstand my son," Sherman's father Kevin told CBS2 in Los Angeles in an interview Monday. "My son off the field is probably one of the best people you want to know. I mean, everything he does is for other people."

"He never ceases to amaze me. I'm just elated with joy and so proud of him," his mother Beverly beams in the interview recorded in their modest Compton, Calif. home soon after their return from Seattle, where they saw Sherman's late game tip lead to an interception that cinched the Seahawks trip to the Super Bowl.

While the outspoken Sherman's emotional interview has drawn plenty of criticism and analysis, his father says most people have no idea how generous, intelligent and thoughtful his son is.

Sherman, a 4.0 student at Compton's Dominguez High School, still returns to speak with students. He was also an Academic All-American at Stanford.

Sherman's parents say they didn't see the interview when it aired and had no idea it had become an international issue until much later. They remain surprised by reaction.

"Everybody knows who he is everywhere I go," Kevin says. "I would have never guessed this."

Link to video interview with Sherman family: http://mynorthwest.com/108/2437940/Richard-Shermans-parents-defend-their-son-in-wake-of-NFC-Championship-controversy

The truth about Richard Sherman? He's awesome, and you should love him as much as Seattle fans do. Awesome player.

Guest Phailadelphia

BWare loves Richard Sherman but hates Russell Westbrook. I'm so lost and confused.

BWare loves Richard Sherman but hates Russell Westbrook. I'm so lost and confused.

I'm not sure if I really hate him or he's just easy to dislike. Kind of has an appearance that's easy to find cocky, you know? If that makes sense. I love watching him play, but don't like how demonstrative he is. That, and I don't think celebrations are as openly accepted in basketball.

Football has always been a celebratory sport, to the extent that it mostly goes unnoticed. Basketball, on the other hand, isn't nearly as open to celebration. It's not bad, but Russ goes too far sometimes.

Someone should really tell him to get ditch the gun holsters celebration.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

Westbrook is infinitely more likable than Sherman, IMO.

Sherman is the stereotypical cornerback...they have to be cocky to play that position (and be good at it). I prefer not to rub it in but after winning arguably the biggest and toughest game in his life leading up to the superbowl, you have to give him a pass for losing it in the moment. Plus he openly extended his hand to Crabtree after the interception and Crabtree pushed him (in his face). I'd be pissed off about that too.