Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Update: Browns match Jags offer sheet to Alex Mack

Could they sign him to just a ridiculous type of offer sheet where.. for example like ALL of the money is due right away... Force the Browns to pass, and then immediately restructure? Is that allowed?

Could they sign him to just a ridiculous type of offer sheet where.. for example like ALL of the money is due right away... Force the Browns to pass, and then immediately restructure? Is that allowed?

Can't see why not. Although it would be frowned upon by other teams and they may refuse to deal with the Jaguars afterwards.

I'm really interested to see how the offer sheet is put together since the current CBA bars poison pills, this ESPN blog does a pretty good job of explaining that clause: Inside Slant: Reminder on 'poison pills' with NFL transition tags - ESPN

Here's the language from the CBA:

No Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no 'poison pills').

so all Jacksonville can do is structure it in a way that works a lot better for the Jags than the Browns, usually that would mean putting more money up front than the Browns could take, but if the Browns have more cap space than the Jags then I can't see how that would work

I'm really interested to see how the offer sheet is put together since the current CBA bars poison pills, this ESPN blog does a pretty good job of explaining that clause: Inside Slant: Reminder on 'poison pills' with NFL transition tags - ESPN

Here's the language from the CBA:

No Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no 'poison pills').

so all Jacksonville can do is structure it in a way that works a lot better for the Jags than the Browns, usually that would mean putting more money up front than the Browns could take, but if the Browns have more cap space than the Jags then I can't see how that would work

I was sort of wondering on that. How is that "opt out" clause even legal under the new CBA. I would think you'd have to make the opt out incentive based.

why wouldn't an opt-out clause be legal?

I've also been thinking about F4E's suggestion of a ridiculous contract followed by immediate restructuring after the Browns decline to match and, aside from being poor business practice and pissing other teams off, the best I can come up with is that NFL contracts have to be approved by the NFL office, which is usually a rubber stamp, and I could see the NFL office refusing to approve a contract/restructure arrangement that's obviously done purely to game the transition tag system

Edited by oochymp

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports transition-tagged C Alex Mack's five-year offer sheet with the Jaguars is worth $42 million, and includes a player opt-out clause after 2015.

The deal includes $18 million guaranteed over the first two seasons. The $8.4 million average annual value will make Mack the highest-paid center in the league. Mack can void the deal after 2015, and cannot be franchise tagged if he does so. However, if Mack chooses not to opt out, he'll be guaranteed $8 million for 2016. It's a creative clause, but hardly a roadblock to the Browns matching. Mack is expected to officially sign on Friday, while Cleveland is expected to match.

Surprised they didn't try like a long term deal with a potential opt out after one year, with lots of guarantees tied in AND the inability to add the franchise tag afterwards.

Surprised they didn't try like a long term deal with a potential opt out after one year, with lots of guarantees tied in AND the inability to add the franchise tag afterwards.

a one year option would have made a lot of sense in terms of keeping the Browns from matching, but you have to think the Jags were hedging their bets a bit against Mack using the option against them
  • Upvote 1

a one year option would have made a lot of sense in terms of keeping the Browns from matching, but you have to think the Jags were hedging their bets a bit against Mack using the option against them

Very true and a definite possibility. I am sure the last thing the Jags want is to get played while playing the Browns. Haha.

I think the Browns should match. If after two years and he wants out he will be 30 (not that that's old, especially for a lineman), and we get two years with him for slightly less than the transition tag, and then if he still doesnt want to be a part of what Farmer and Pettine are trying to accomplish, he can walk. 9 mil for a center is a bit much, but we have a lot of cap room, and still have a couple of years before we need to re-work all of Haden, Gordan, Cameron, Sheard, Taylor, etc.

I'm sure there's language in there that is more than just the 5 years 42 mil, opt out after 2 years clause, so I guess we'll just have to see.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Browns matched C Alex Mack's five-year, $42 million offer sheet from the Jaguars, keeping Mack in Cleveland.
They needed all of 2 1/2 hours to match Jacksonville's offer. A top-ten center in each of the past three seasons per Pro Football Focus, 28-year-old Mack finished No. 4 in PFF's 2013 ratings, behind only Jason Kelce, Dominic Raiola, and John Sullivan. It's good news for Ben Tate, as Mack is a particularly effective run blocker. The Jags will go back to the drawing board on the interior line, where they need new starters at both center and right guard. Cleveland's offensive line as it stands reads LT Joe Thomas, LG Jason Pinkston, C Mack, RG John Greco, and RT Mitchell Schwartz. It's a very strong core, and GM Ray Farmer has ten picks in May's draft, including five selections in the top 85. Apr 11 - 4:01 PM

Smart move by the Browns. They are trying to build something over there. You don't try to better your franchise letting top caliber players at their respective positions sign to another team; especially if you sign them, it won't hurt your team financially. The Browns have a lot of cap so it's definitely worth it. They have a very strong offensive line with Mack in the line up with some receiving options and just signed Ben Tate. If the Browns can get some stable QB out of Hoyer or whoever they have playing QB if they draft one, they will have a potentially good offense to compliment that very good defense and can become contenders in my opinion. They have 10 draft picks and two in the first round and if they nail this draft, this team becomes a way better football team. I think they are trying to build he right way and it's a good decision by them to not let their best players sign with other teams.