Sign in to follow this  
Tridentdawgpound

Game of Thrones Season 5

A question for the book people regarding the episode:

Gregor still got poisoned, right?

Presumably, yes. Although the show didn't establish the poison on the spear.

Presumably, yes. Although the show didn't establish the poison on the spear.

Ewww. Yeah, that probably makes this episode all the more worse for the non-book people. Non-book people will get a better payoff though, assuming it follows the events of the book

Edited by Vin

Welp...another one of my favorite characters....DEAD...

Fuck.

Other things:

Arya's laugh is priceless

Why did Orson Lannister kill so many beetles?

Darth Sansa has arrived, but if she's already outed herself then what the hell is the point of the Alayne persona? Also, Petyr's niece? Does he even have siblings?

• Upvote 1

A theory- major spoilers for everything Game of Thrones related:

Oberyn killed more than just the Mountain with poison. He also killed Tywin Lannister, though it was rendered irrelevant by Tyrion shooting him in the gut with a crossbow bolt.

http://asongoftheories.tumblr.com/post/53577815619/was-oberyn-martell-poisoning-tywin-lannister

A theory- major spoilers for everything Game of Thrones related:

Oberyn killed more than just the Mountain with poison. He also killed Tywin Lannister, though it was rendered irrelevant by Tyrion shooting him in the gut with a crossbow bolt.

http://asongoftheories.tumblr.com/post/53577815619/was-oberyn-martell-poisoning-tywin-lannister

Eh, never bought into that one. Pretty much nothing to back it up except "OH TYWIN WAS POOPING WHEN HE DIED AND SMELLED BAD AFTERWARDS".

Eh, never bought into that one. Pretty much nothing to back it up except "OH TYWIN WAS POOPING WHEN HE DIED AND SMELLED BAD AFTERWARDS".

There's a lot more to it than that lol.

What a shitty episode and a serious let down... Other than my favorite character dying, which was bound to happen sooner rather than later... Didn't really solve much. Although I guess that's what he show is all about, trying to solve a problem with no solution.

Regardless of the outcome of the fight.. it kinda sucked. Razor already mentioned/confirmed this but there is no way that that scene sucked that much in the book.

Oh well... Not much redeemable about that one, IMO.. Proves even the best shows have their stinkers. :laugh:

Only thing that really happened was Vin proving me right about spoiling everything -- which really isn't all that shocking...

On a positive note, I didn't see Brandon.

Edited by Favre4Ever

This was probably one of my favorite episodes of the series so far...lol.

I don;t buy that theory either Trident. The POV for that chapter is Cersei, and Cersei by that point is insane, so when a body is left in wake for several days, of course it is gonna smell like shit.

Why, exactly?

Jorah getting banished was solid I guess. I completely hate the Theon / Bolton plot line as it sits right now... The fight (again, regardless of outcome) sucked and had too much hype... The other best plot line in the show was rather non-existent (Hound / Arya) and while Arya just cracking up was funny, it didn't really accomplish a whole lot other than continuing previously established themes. Still not sure when Sansa is going to not suck. Her whining and moping about (even if an act) is still super annoying..

The episode was more of a stepping stone to (hopefully) what is something a lot better. Or I would imagine. Not that that is a bad thing.. Very rarely can a show keep it going every single episode of every season. Everyone needs those transitional episodes.

Even the result of the fight, which I obviously do not enjoy... It loses some of it's luster, because at this point aren't we about done being shocked by things in this show? I mean, when do we get to the point where the unexpected becomes the expected? I dunno... Maybe now. Lol (For non-book readers that is, obviously most of you have gotten to that point already).

The fight did not suck and Sansa no longer sucks as of tonight. Top that off with the one interesting Daenerys event of the season and it's great.

• Upvote 1

The fight did suck... Oberyn exhibiting his glaive dancing was a nice exhibition of the performing arts, I suppose. And the head explosion was kind of cool. What a serious let down... All that talk.. Even the title of the episode, and no mention of the event until the final 5 minutes and THAT is what we get? Ugh. Not saying it was beyond horrible, but it was pretty bad... Or at the very least sub par to the standards we have come to expect from the show.

And Sansa is still awful. I realize you know more about here future than I do, but man... If her becoming awesome is her doing the same things that made her awful but just pretending... Shoot me now, Please.

I actually have no idea where the show is going with Sansa. If they're leaving the Eyrie then they are at the end of the published books. I just think as a whole there's a great setup there and it's one of the storylines I'm looking most forward to in the coming books.

Sansa is getting ready to own the seven kingdoms. When Dany brings her dragons down to lay waste to Westeros and takes Sansa as a bride, the 7 kingdoms will be united!

Only thing that really happened was Vin proving me right about spoiling everything -- which really isn't all that shocking...

Like I've said many times before, I only spoil things which I either have no interest in, or don't see myself reading/watching/playing. And even then, I don't do it for everything. This series falls into both categories.

I'm already knee-deep in one massive fantasy series. Not getting into another anytime soon. :nope:

Edited by Vin

The goal of the series isn't to kill off characters that people like because it's different. Characters die when their deaths do more to progress the story than their lives do (also they do things to earn it). Let's see:

Ned: Was retarded. Execution escalated the war, alternative was him and Jon being together on the Wall patrolling and not banging girls.

Renly: Defied the Mannis. Gave Stannis an army big enough to attack Blackwater, alternative was them taking each other out.

Robb: Went back on an agreement. His death all but ended the war his father's death started.

Catelyn: Started the war in the first place by kidnapping Tyrion.

Joffrey: Pissed off everyone. Death allows for this trial and a new king who everyone doesn't hate.

My point is that Oberyn, a fan favorite, is going into a duel against a tank. In any other show on any other network aside from, maybe, AMC he is 100% safe. It's not killing off characters because its different, its because its realistic. Must've been traumatizing F4E, to be so close......:smug:

That was gruesomely awesome. Plus the Hound may still get a chance to kill his brother in the future. :D

• Upvote 1

The Sandor/Gregor dynamic is one of the more ingenious character plots out there. In Westeros, there are only two unforgivable sins: Violating Guest Right (Red Wedding) and kinslaying. And yet, GRRM makes you root for Sandor to commit the worst crime there is in the culture.

What a shitty episode and a serious let down... Other than my favorite character dying, which was bound to happen sooner rather than later... Didn't really solve much. Although I guess that's what he show is all about, trying to solve a problem with no solution.

Regardless of the outcome of the fight.. it kinda sucked. Razor already mentioned/confirmed this but there is no way that that scene sucked that much in the book.

Oh well... Not much redeemable about that one, IMO.. Proves even the best shows have their stinkers. :laugh:

On a positive note, I didn't see Brandon.

I think you will understand why Oberyn had to die after the season finale. It sets up a lot of stuff.

Still hard to see him go, as he was easily my favorite character this season, and my favorite minor character overall.

I was thinking about it trying to figure out why it hit me a lot harder than in the books. I came up with three things.

1. I spent 2-3 hours with Oberyn in the books vs 8 weeks with him in the series.

2. In the series, he is a bonafide good guy. In the books, he is kinda grey. He cripples a man in a tourney, albeit unintentionally, (Willas Tyrell), and uses poison on his blade during a duel that was supposed to be to first blood. While he's definitely more good than evil, he isn't solely a hero out to get justified revenge for his sister.

3. The actor absolutely fucking nailed him.

As far as the fight scene goes, in the book the Mountain gets so pissed off at Oberyn repeating his phrase about his sister than he starts going heavily on the offensive, so much so that he actually pushes Oberyn close to the edge of the ring, which was lined with spectators, and ends up taking off one dude's arm, and slicing off the top of another guy's head.

Also Tyrion had a pretty good one-liner that they removed for some reason: "I'm feeling more innocent by the minute."

They also kinda changed the fight. The Viper breaks his spear off in the Mountain's body, it isn't broken by the Mountain. Oberyn is never really touched or even close to losing until the very end.

And I believe the Mountain doesn't trip him, he literally shatters his knee with one hand, but I could be wrong on that, as I don't have the books in front of me.

While I do think they did a good job, I think they could have done a better job.

Edited by Thanatos19

I think the dude he beheads is the same dude whose arm he cuts off. Also Oberyn tried to finish Gregor with his own sword and that's when Gregor owns him.