Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Reach or Fall?

Which players do you believe teams will reach for and which players do you believe will fall? Don't agree with someone else's reach or fall? Give your two cents or inquire.

Reach: Cody Latimer - I have no idea how his stock is rising. How do you go from a 3rd round prospect into first round talks? He's a solid WR but nothing he's done warrants first round mentions in my opinion.

Fall: Dee Ford

I am curious to see how the QB situations go. It will be interesting to see if we have any surprise reaches outside of Teddy, Manziel and Bortles (Carr, Garoppolo, Metten, Fales, Curry) or drops amongst the top prospects. Wouldn't mind hearing what our expert draft crew has to say about that: Campin, Dmac & butta.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1

It depends how the OTs go, but I think Eric Ebron is going to fall further than he should. As will CJ Mosley because of a recent stigma of Bama Backers which I think he can thwart.

Somebody is going to reach massively for Taylor Lewan.... TBD who it is.

I have a second round grade on Dee Ford so he should rightfully fall IMO

• Upvote 1

I have a second round grade on Dee Ford so he should rightfully fall IMO

Ah okay. Cool. I know I'm going to wind up revising my list. However, who do you believe will be reached for or fall?

I see one of Dennard/Gilbert falling. I currently think Gilbert is being overrated by many experts. So he is going to be a reach in my eyes if he goes early. His big knock for me is that he plays soft. At the same time, I could see him "falling" based his projections in the mocks. Very much like I said about Ford, he should rightfully fall or he will be a reach.

I think Kelvin Benjamin is a guy who should fall into the second. Dude is unbelievably raw. No hands or route running skills. Think it would be a mistake for a team like Carolina, who needs an immediate difference maker at WR to draft who is likely going to be a project/high upside guy.

• Upvote 1

Expecting a fall from Greg Robinson, Kelvin Benjamin, and Teddy Bridgewater. Personally don't think any of them should fall, though. Mike Evans gonna be reached on hardcore. I have him at like #25 on my big board. Way overrated. All the physical abilities but no polish in his game.

• Upvote 1

Somebody needs to take Gabe Jackson higher... I am a little homerish because I took him in our fantasy draft... but that guy is legit and getting no love.

• Upvote 2

Somebody needs to take Gabe Jackson higher... I am a little homerish because I took him in our fantasy draft... but that guy is legit and getting no love.

I don't know about him going at #41, but he should definitely be gone by the end of the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd. See him as a #60-#70.

He's way better than that though. I think it's a legit thing that he may fall to where you are figuring (as per the rules of this thread, lol).. He just shouldn't make it that far. If he makes it to the 3rd, I hope Green Bay jumps on him and we don't haven any need at Guard -- at all. Ha

I see one of Dennard/Gilbert falling. I currently think Gilbert is being overrated by many experts. So he is going to be a reach in my eyes if he goes early. His big knock for me is that he plays soft. At the same time, I could see him "falling" based his projections in the mocks. Very much like I said about Ford, he should rightfully fall or he will be a reach.

I think Kelvin Benjamin is a guy who should fall into the second. Dude is unbelievably raw. No hands or route running skills. Think it would be a mistake for a team like Carolina, who needs an immediate difference maker at WR to draft who is likely going to be a project/high upside guy.

I think Gilbert is being a little overrated too. Experts are gushing at his athletic ability and don't get me wrong, he's a talent but I don't like his technique. I think Dennard's technique is much more sound. I even like Fuller over Gilbert to be honest. And I also agree with you about Benjamin. I think he might bust.

Other reaches. I think the Panthers might surprise people and skip out on Benjamin and pick up Allen Robinson or Davante Adams. I hope I'm wrong because I want one of these two receivers in the 2nd round. I think both have the potential (especially Robinson) to be play makers at the next level.

Falls: Roby, Barr, Yankey I can all see falling

The first two more because one has some ongoing off-field issues, and the second is overrated.

The reason I see Yankey falling is just a result of how the board shakes out in the first round.

Reaches:

Attaochu, pretty much any WR not named Sammy Watkins, Robinson, Cooks, or Marquise Lee.

Attaochu because his stock is rising, and he's a damn good player, so a good reach in a sense?

Cooks is the product of an OSU squad that had nothing else but him. Good Receiver, but still someone is gonna take him high. Also, call me crazy, but a majority of these WR's do not impress me. Some of the biggest busts in this draft will be WR's mainly the likes of Beckham, Evans, Lattimer will all be busts. Just because a lot of WR's come out for the draft does not mean that position is deep. Just abundant, not necessarily talent there.

I like Attachou. I wouldn't mind if the Eagles traded back into the first to get him as long as they were able to get Allen Robinson or Davante Adams in the 2nd.

Reaches: Kony Ealy and Billy Turner

Falls: Antonio Richardson and Will Sutton

• Upvote 1

Some of the biggest busts in this draft will be WR's mainly the likes of Beckham, Evans, Lattimer will all be busts. Just because a lot of WR's come out for the draft does not mean that position is deep. Just abundant, not necessarily talent there.

Lol no. Latimer, I can see. He's shooting up the boards way too fast, and he may be a value guy with boom/bust qualities. Someone will reach for him in the 2nd, but he isn't worth it. Evans? Most physically gifted outside of Watkins, easily. However, he just jumps high as shit for the ball. NFL quality corners will shut him down now that he isn't playing catch with Manziel. Beckham though? Dude has some great hands, solid route running, EXTREME upside, and overall is one of the best prospects. His size is a little bit of a concern, but he has proven he can elevate to make catches. If it were a normal year he'd be the #1 WR prospect.

• Upvote 1

Really don't know how anyone wouldn't have Evans in their top 10. Since 2010 I would only take Julio Jones, Floyd, Jones over him as prospects.

Any who, Bridgewater looks like the easy pick to drop as "experts" don't even have him in the first round anymore. I personally think Lewan, Dennard, Marquise Lee.

As far as reaches, Manziel, Barr, Gilbert, Mosley, Lee (if he goes in the first).

This is what I think might happen, not what I think should happen:

Falls:

• C.J. Mosley. I think he falls due to medical concerns. Think back last year when Jesse Williams was thought to be a fringe Day 1 /early Day 2 guy then fell all the way to Day 3 due to concerns about his knees. With Mosley it's his shoulders and hip.

• Darqueze Dennard. Been reading for awhile that people are hearing the NFL just isn't as high on Dennard as most of us. There's been leaked opinions that he's "stiff in the hips, grabby." Which is true, but as a press CB I believe he presents value. I think he falls.

Reaches:

• Justin Gilbert. Teams go ga-ga over speed, we saw it last year with Milliner. I think a team reaches on him like they did Milliner (who's not bad btw, he improved late last year, was just drafted too early.) Gilbert and Milliner are different types of CBs too. Here's a more in-depth look at what I think of Gilbert: http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69337-stevos-mock-draft-10/&do=findComment&comment=2515768

• Bortles/Carr/Savage.

I like Blake Bortles — just not on Day 1 like we're hearing. He's a project passing wise and that doesn't belong in the 1st round. But he has a lot to work with given his good pocket poise and maneuverability which you can't teach.

Conversely Derek Carr doesn't have great pocket poise but has a great arm. Teams scared of Manziel or Bridgewater's size will ignore the fact that Carr is the same size as Bridgewater (6'2" 214) and reach for the bigger arm because chicks dig the long ball.

With Tom Savage: see Derek Carr but add even more inaccurate, even worse against the blitz, and also already 24 years old. But again some size queen team will see Savage's good size and big arm and smugly think they can fix the project. By far the dumbest rise in the draft since former size queen darling Blaine Gabbert QB wise.

*I think the Garoppolo hype subsides and he goes where he's supposed to, Day 3.

*I feel like Bridgewater gets drafted somewhere around late first/early 2nd and since that's where he's being mocked now I won't count it as a fall, though imo that is a fall.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

Cooks is the product of an OSU squad that had nothing else but him. Good Receiver, but still someone is gonna take him high. Also, call me crazy, but a majority of these WR's do not impress me. Some of the biggest busts in this draft will be WR's mainly the likes of Beckham, Evans, Lattimer will all be busts. Just because a lot of WR's come out for the draft does not mean that position is deep. Just abundant, not necessarily talent there.

I have to disagree sooo strongly

Cooks- Was still a very good prospect last year when he was behind the shadow of Markus Wheaton who was the number one at OSU. Wheaton leaving for the draft put the pressure on Cooks to produce without another threat and he responded well.

Evans- Has more speed than anyone thought he should with his size. He isn't Megatron, but he is a match-up problem with enough speed to go vertical and enough explosion to win jump balls everytime. He isn't polished at all, but most rookies aren't and most don't bring his physical traits.

Beckham- HUGE strong hands enough though he drops some easy ones. Not a polished route runner to me, but the speed and explosion come day 1.

Latimer- Coming on late because of his 40 time. A big well put together receiver who ran alot faster than scouts expected. Went games without dropping a pass despite being the numebr one target.

I'm not sold or saying everyone in this draft will be starters, and like most talented drafts it will ALL depend on where they go. That's what makes this draft deep I believe in similar situations about ten of these guys would produce the same as the other. So there will be bust, but it's not really because they don't have talent. There is ALOT of talent in this receiver class.

The QBs are obvious canidates to fall or be a reach. Especially Johnny Football who is a reach period I don't care where you draft him the first round. But I will go with some solid choices...

Fall: I have the feeling Greg Robinson will fall down a little further than people think unless someone trades up. I'm not big on him as an "elite" prospect and really not sure what people see. He is fast and big and they has gotten plenty of people in trouble on draft day. At the end of the day he isn't a pass blocker and for a team that wants a left tackle...that's a problem. Barr will also far based on where I think he should be drafted because people have no idea how to evaluate talent.

Reach: Sua-Filo, Shazier, Roby, and Cooks

Walt Aikens... Climbin them boards (as he should!)

This is what I think might happen, not what I think should happen:

Falls:

• C.J. Mosley. I think he falls due to medical concerns. Think back last year when Jesse Williams was thought to be a fringe Day 1 /early Day 2 guy then fell all the way to Day 3 due to concerns about his knees. With Mosley it's his shoulders and hip.

• Darqueze Dennard. Been reading for awhile that people are hearing the NFL just isn't as high on Dennard as most of us. There's been leaked opinions that he's "stiff in the hips, grabby." Which is true, but as a press CB I believe he presents value. I think he falls.

Reaches:

• Justin Gilbert. Teams go ga-ga over speed, we saw it last year with Milliner. I think a team reaches on him like they did Milliner (who's not bad btw, he improved late last year, was just drafted too early.) Gilbert and Milliner are different types of CBs too. Here's a more in-depth look at what I think of Gilbert: http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69337-stevos-mock-draft-10/&do=findComment&comment=2515768

• Bortles/Carr/Savage.

I like Blake Bortles — just not on Day 1 like we're hearing. He's a project passing wise and that doesn't belong in the 1st round. But he has a lot to work with given his good pocket poise and maneuverability which you can't teach.

Conversely Derek Carr doesn't have great pocket poise but has a great arm. Teams scared of Manziel or Bridgewater's size will ignore the fact that Carr is the same size as Bridgewater (6'2" 214) and reach for the bigger arm because chicks dig the long ball.

With Tom Savage: see Derek Carr but add even more inaccurate, even worse against the blitz, and also already 24 years old. But again some size queen team will see Savage's good size and big arm and smugly think they can fix the project. By far the dumbest rise in the draft since former size queen darling Blaine Gabbert QB wise.

*I think the Garoppolo hype subsides and he goes where he's supposed to, Day 3.

*I feel like Bridgewater gets drafted somewhere around late first/early 2nd and since that's where he's being mocked now I won't count it as a fall, though imo that is a fall.

From a passing perspective, I don't think there's a QB who touches Carr in terms of potential. That warrants him being a top 10 pick, at least in my opinion.

He's way better than that though. I think it's a legit thing that he may fall to where you are figuring (as per the rules of this thread, lol).. He just shouldn't make it that far. If he makes it to the 3rd, I hope Green Bay jumps on him and we don't haven any need at Guard -- at all. Ha

I agree 100%

He is one of my favorite prospects going into the draft that I will scream about and not be heard until he makes an impact. Sua-Filo is straight horrible to me and not sure how Jackson isn't being seen as the second best if not the first best guard (not including zach martin)

Last year I couldn't promote Larry Warford enough and no one really listened....look at him now.

• Upvote 1