Maverick

What kind of cell phone do you own?

What kind of phone do you own?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of phone do you own?

• Android
    • Apple
    • Other

I have my own cell phone plan with Verizon and the cheapest plan is $90 (voice, messaging, data). Add another $10 for taxes and charges and my total bill each month is $100.

Kinda sucks but it is what it is.

I get unlimited talk, text, and data for $45 a month. :coffee:

I've heard people talk about how there's so much you can do with an android instead of apple but I've had a couple and didn't see any big difference between that and my current iPhone so can someone enlighten me about this.

I've heard people talk about how there's so much you can do with an android instead of apple but I've had a couple and didn't see any big difference between that and my current iPhone so can someone enlighten me about this.

I'm not the guy to explain because I just got a super phone so I'm a newb with all this stuff. BUT, the reason I am actually posting a response to you is to simply draw the comparison of Apple computers to PC. PC is much more customizable, you have the freedom to do lots of different things (and thus also fuck up a lot of different things), with Apple computers its kind of you get what you get and that's it. It's a good product, but it is what it is.

I'd image the folks who prefer Android phones over Apple enjoy the freedom and variety to do things. I'm an idiot though, don't listen to me. :nope:

• Upvote 2

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110815101046AAC8sKm

Most of the information from the best answer is spot on, surprisingly.

Edited by Maverick
  • Upvote 1

I prefer the more stable/reliable iOS, personally.

They're also more secure.

Customization is the biggest difference. If you're big into that, then yes, get yourself an Android phone. That is really big to some.

As far as what Dutch said that iPhones are for people that don't know what they're doing. Yeah, I'd agree, to a degree, with that. Although I know what I'm doing and I prefer the iOS and the iPhone. I've had them all.

It's all about preference. What do you need and what do you want out of your device.

• Upvote 2

I prefer the more stable/reliable iOS, personally.

They're also more secure.

Customization is the biggest difference. If you're big into that, then yes, get yourself an Android phone. That is really big to some.

As far as what Dutch said that iPhones are for people that don't know what they're doing. Yeah, I'd agree, to a degree, with that. Although I know what I'm doing and I prefer the iOS and the iPhone. I've had them all.

It's all about preference. What do you need and what do you want out of your device.

Basically the bold. It is all about preference. That's why as a sales consultant we asked customers what do they do on their phones and what do they want their phones to be able to do.

There are infinite amount of apps that allow you to change your launcher with Android, which allow you to change the interface of your Android into a multitude of different themes. To go along with the different locker changing apps, the multitude of widgets that you can place on the locker or your home screen, changing the way your notifications look, and how you get them. You can pretty much change your Android device to look and almost feel like its an Iphone.

But I pay for my phone and my little brother's on a family plan of 165. It includes unlimited talk and text with 10 gigs of sharing between the two of us.

I get unlimited talk, text, and data for $45 a month. :coffee:

You and I probably have the same thing... :p They just talk about how "cheap" it is.. And I was wondering how it ACTUALLY compared. As I haven't gone through a phone company in years.

Android backers have basically morphed into a group of narrow-minded, elitist fucks. :yao:

I have plenty of experience with Android devices (Motorola Backflip, Samsung Galaxy Player, Samsung Galaxy Mega), and I can safely say Apple is clearly better.

The main argument in favor for Android in this thread seems to be ''EHRMAGERD SO MUCH MORE CUSTOMIZATION ON ANDROID!!!111''. You guys it make it sound like the iPhone is a Jitterbug compared to Android phones lol. There's plenty of customization possibilities on the iPhone. Ya'll ever heard of a jailbreak? I had so much fun back in the day messing around with themes on my iPod touch.

Windows Vista was prob my personal fav...

vistaipod_zps422684d8.png

But I'll list some points on why Android is inferior to Apple (based on my last Android phone experience)

- Messaging system is terrible. On the iPhone, you automatically see the message on your home screen. With Android, I had to go to my fuckin' inbox just to see who the text was from lol.

- Deleting apps is a joke with the Application Manager bullshit. Why can't I just delete apps right off the screen like with the iPhone? Dumb.

- Mailbox. Oh my fuck, why is e-mail severely delayed on Android!?

Overall, Android is just way too flawed to come close to topping Apple. iOS is just so much more polished and reliable.

Keep in mind, I'm not an Android hater. In January, I could have easily upgraded to an iPhone 5 or 5S, but I wanted to give Android another shot and see how much they improved. Bad decision. :sigh: On the brightside, I'm getting my replacement tomorrow for my shitty Android phone and it's an iPhone. :smug: Gonna feel nice having an iPhone in my hand again. It's the 4S, but I'll roll with it until I'm eligible for an upgrade at the end of next summer. Will be targeting dat 6 or 6S. :yep:

• Downvote 1

You and I probably have the same thing... :p They just talk about how "cheap" it is.. And I was wondering how it ACTUALLY compared. As I haven't gone through a phone company in years.

StraightTalk? Hey, it gets the job done for me. For the low cost, I'm not switching any time soon. I never have a problem with texting, emails, browsing the web, etc...

:yep: And I wasn't dissing it at all... I love it, especially for the price. :laugh:

Yea it's pretty hard to beat that deal, especially if you just want the modern basics for smartphone use.

Android backers have basically morphed into a group of narrow-minded, elitist fucks. :yao:

I have plenty of experience with Android devices (Motorola Backflip, Samsung Galaxy Player, Samsung Galaxy Mega), and I can safely say Apple is clearly better.

The main argument in favor for Android in this thread seems to be ''EHRMAGERD SO MUCH MORE CUSTOMIZATION ON ANDROID!!!111''. You guys it make it sound like the iPhone is a Jitterbug compared to Android phones lol. There's plenty of customization possibilities on the iPhone. Ya'll ever heard of a jailbreak? I had so much fun back in the day messing around with themes on my iPod touch.

Windows Vista was prob my personal fav...

vistaipod_zps422684d8.png

But I'll list some points on why Android is inferior to Apple (based on my last Android phone experience)

- Messaging system is terrible. On the iPhone, you automatically see the message on your home screen. With Android, I had to go to my fuckin' inbox just to see who the text was from lol.

- Deleting apps is a joke with the Application Manager bullshit. Why can't I just delete apps right off the screen like with the iPhone? Dumb.

- Mailbox. Oh my fuck, why is e-mail severely delayed on Android!?

Overall, Android is just way too flawed to come close to topping Apple. iOS is just so much more polished and reliable.

Keep in mind, I'm not an Android hater. In January, I could have easily upgraded to an iPhone 5 or 5S, but I wanted to give Android another shot and see how much they improved. Bad decision. :sigh: On the brightside, I'm getting my replacement tomorrow for my shitty Android phone and it's an iPhone. :smug: Gonna feel nice having an iPhone in my hand again. It's the 4S, but I'll roll with it until I'm eligible for an upgrade at the end of next summer. Will be targeting dat 6 or 6S. TGP%20Yep%20Gif.gif

-Why should you have to "jailbreak" your phone? Out of the box, Android's customization and options shit on Apple's. Apple products are dumbed down enough to where a 1 year old can use them (literally, my nephew has known how to find his folder and open games almost since he popped out) .

-With Android your texts show up in the notification bar and you can see who sent it and much of the beginning of the text right from the bar. Not sure wtf you're talking about here.

-Going to one extra menu to uninstall an app makes Android inferior? lol. Some people would consider this a plus so shit doesn't accidentally get uninstalled.

-Never had a problem with email, either.

• Upvote 2

That's pretty scary. My response was almost word for word what your post is.

Get out of my head.

• Upvote 1

I guess I shouldn't have opened this can of worms. For my purposes, which are pretty limited, I noticed very little difference in the capabilities for what I want it for. Basically I use it as a phone that can do some other fun stuff. So far the Iphone seems like its held up better than my past two phones (both Androids), but I've only had it for a little over a year. My last phone was sent back at least once by now for fixing for overheating.

• Upvote 1

I really have no preference and don't own either an iphone or an android.

But why is the iPhone being dumbed down a bad thing? I would think most see that as a plus.

• Upvote 1

But why is the iPhone being dumbed down a bad thing? I would think most see that as a plus.

I'd say it is a good thing, at least for me. It seems to work with anything I plug it into without having to look up anything on google which I found myself doing a lot with the s3 and thunderbolt I had previously. We'll see if it holds up down the stretch.

If something's dumbed down than you're most likely restricting its capabilities.

As stated by myself and many others, that's the case here.

-Why should you have to "jailbreak" your phone?

Because it allows access for third party apps/features.

Out of the box, Android's customization and options shit on Apple's.

Yeah, maybe right out of the box, but a jailbroken iPhone can't be touched customization wise.

Apple products are dumbed down enough to where a 1 year old can use them (literally, my nephew has known how to find his folder and open games almost since he popped out) .

Android backers really grasping at straws here with the ''iPhone is so dumbed down!!!111'' LOL. Pretty much all smartphones are ''dumbed down'' and very easy for anyone to use out of the box. But I bet most Android users would be fucking clueless trying to run a iPhone jailbreak process which takes a few minutes.

-With Android your texts show up in the notification bar and you can see who sent it and much of the beginning of the text right from the bar. Not sure wtf you're talking about here.

Not on my Galaxy phone, at least. I got a ''Messaging: New message'' and the time it was sent every time I received a text.

-Going to one extra menu to uninstall an app makes Android inferior? lol. Some people would consider this a plus so shit doesn't accidentally get uninstalled.

It's a big nuisance on Android, IMO. And it's pretty tough to ''accidentally uninstall'' an app on the iPhone since you need to tap the X in the upper left corner of the app and then confirm the deletion of it.

Edited by BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Apple products are dumbed down enough to where a 1 year old can use them (literally, my nephew has known how to find his folder and open games almost since he popped out) .

Apple developers would be proud of their phone being that user-friendly.

Rooting your Android is similar to jailbreaking your iPhone, but it's not necessary to do in order to be able to customize your phone the second you buy it, without forfeiting warranty. The fact that you have to throw away your warranty and risk bricking your device in order for it to even compete with Android in customization makes Android superior in that regard, lol.

iPhones and Apple products in general are great if you're not tech-savy. Like Dmac said, that's why they hold such a large part of the market. But if you want something with unlimited capabilities and the ability to fuck around with your property uninhibited, you buy Android/PC/whatever.

• Upvote 2

I'd say it is a good thing, at least for me. It seems to work with anything I plug it into without having to look up anything on google which I found myself doing a lot with the s3 and thunderbolt I had previously. We'll see if it holds up down the stretch.

Shouldn't have said anything. Broke my fucking screen a minute ago. FUCK.

I have had an iPhone 4s since about October. Works fine for me.