BLUE

Update: Jets expected to release Percy Harvin by 3/19

Per Rotoworld.com:

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reported Marshawn Lynch "almost did not get on the bus" after learning of the Percy Harvin trade.
The team was informed of the Harvin trade before boarding a bus to the airport for Sunday's game at Saint Louis. Lynch reportedly "went off" before almost not boarding the bus. Lynch, Cliff Avril and Bruce Irvin also voiced displeasure about the move on Twitter. The Seahawks hoped shifting Harvin would remedy issues that had been developing in the locker room, but it appears the trade may have initially done more harm than good. Lynch is still likely to play against the Rams this weekend. Oct 18 - 11:27 AM

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 18, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT

The Seahawks were so eager to get rid of Percy Harvin that they’ve given him up for next to nothing.

Although neither the Seahawks nor the Jets has disclosed exactly what the compensation was in the Harvin trade, multiple reports now say that the pick can be no better than a fourth-rounder. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that it’s a conditional sixth-round pick, while Ian Rapoport of NFL Network adds that the pick can improve to up to a fourth-round pick.

That’s shockingly little compensation, considering that the Seahawks gave up a first-round pick, a third-round pick and a seventh-round pick to acquire Harvin a year and a half ago.

But Harvin was reportedly such a locker-room cancer that the Seahawks didn’t want to delay in getting rid of him, and as soon as they got an offer from the Jets, the Seahawks were willing to pull the trigger on the trade. Now Harvin is the Jets’ problem.

Source: ProFootballTalk

We overpaid to get him because he was the jack of all trades, most athletic guy in the league, which was the icing on the cake to an already solid roster (not that I would have made the same transaction). He made just about any play-call possible. I just wish Bevell had used better judgement in assessing the drawbacks, rather than lobbying to do everything we could to get the rare physical talent.

You have to be a pretty serious cancer to not get along with Russell Wilson, and if all those altercations are true, then having Percy on the team is clearly way more detrimental than making the controversial decision of trading him. After reading the reports and especially the article that I posted, I don't see any way this could have worked. The guy refused to re-enter last week's game in the 4th quarter. His salary (12 mil) was quite a haul, which we can now devote to Wilson, and possibly even keeping Bobby Wagner perhaps. Marshawn will have to check himself. There's no way I would have kept a cancer like Percy around to keep Marshawn happy with all the turmoil Percy was causing with Wilson and the rest of the offense.

We will live to see another day. We've managed perfectly well without Percy. Kearse and Baldwin on the outside with Riccardo Lockette in the slot is still more than adequate help for Wilson. He doesn't need world beaters.

Edited by BC

This can't be considered anything but a win for Minnesota, but Sharrif Floyd is not a good player yet. Weak run defender and getting outplayed by Tom Johnson as a pass rusher.

Apparently Seattle tried to trade Harvin for Julius Thomas. :rolleyes:

Apparently Seattle tried to trade Harvin for Julius Thomas. :rolleyes:

I found this to be exceptionally hilarious. How did that phone call go? Hey, this is the Seahawks... We were uh wondering... If you would uh... Ya know, take some of our trash for your... uh... exceptional pro bowl TE. Ya know, we could uh... really use the help and uh... would really appreciate it. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

This can't be considered anything but a win for Minnesota, but Sharrif Floyd is not a good player yet. Weak run defender and getting outplayed by Tom Johnson as a pass rusher.

Here's the breakdown of the trade now that it is mostly complete:

Sea: Conditional 6th round pick

Minnesota: Xavier Rhodes (#25), Travis Bond (#214), Jerick McKinnon (#96)

The move didn't work out. And that happens sometimes. Minnesota didn't get a windfall of talent.

Honestly, the biggest liability for Seattle was the contract. Not only did it result in virtually zero trade value for Harvin, but Seattle made roster/cap decisions based on the huge contract to Harvin. Directly speaking, we were unable to resign Golden Tate. I would not assume it meant losing Chris Clemons as I presumed he would be cut the moment we signed Cliff Avril.

However, if we're going to assign UFA loss to adding Harvin, we have to now look at the talent Seattle may be able to retain because of the drop in cap space. Right now, I'd presume that Harvin's money will go to Wilson. Which will mean that instead of cutting Lynch for Wilson's extension, we can simply retain Lynch who is still under contract for 2015. And whose 2015 optional bonuses have already been converted to 2014 guarantees.

One could say we traded Xavier Rhodes, Golden Tate and various camp bodies for a conditional 6th round pick, Marshawn Lynch and the likely sealing of a SB win. That's the most likely end result of the trade.

Ultimately, this deal is not a win for Seattle. But it's hardly a disastrous loss either. I am genuinely left conflicted.

On the one hand, Schneider has proven to be genuinely poor at getting value for his trades. We give up far more on paper in virtually every trade we make. I am particularly envious of Baalke's ability to just plain dominate the returns on his trades.

On the other hand, Schneider has brass cajones. He identifies opportunities and he gets deals done. Losing the on paper part of the deals do not factor in. JS basically has a reputation as a friendly trade partner and I have no doubt that when teams line up for a potential trade, that JS's call is taken first or second.

Harvin was an opportunity. It merely didn't work out for us. I have no doubt, that we aren't done making deals and if another opportunity surfaces that we like, we won't be deterred by the fact that Harvin didn't pan out. But Schneider was as bold in letting him go as he was in getting him. Which means he identifies the problems and will make the right move -- criticism be damned. Which in my estimation is equally important and a characteristic that I am very grateful for as a Hawks fan.

As it pertains to the overtures for Julius Thomas and Jordan Cameron -- those players are on expiring rookie contracts. If either team was perhaps questioning their ability to retain them -- the deal would make sense. Particularly since Harvin's guarantees were being picked up by Seattle. For Denver the trade probably would have made the most sense. Harvin's skill set is far better suited for Denver's short passing game.

Harvin was just horribly miscast for our offense. To the point where we became a schizophrenic scheme and where we couldn't take advantage of Harvin's flexibility. It's like we had two offensive packages. One of which Harvin couldn't even be lined up on the field for. And that package is our bread and butter.

• Upvote 2

Minnesota might not have gotten a windfall of talent but imagine what Seattle might have been able to do with those picks considering their track record in the draft.

Minnesota might not have gotten a windfall of talent but imagine what Seattle might have been able to do with those picks considering their track record in the draft.

That's true to an extent. Although it was widely believed that the talent drop off after #20 was extremely significant.

Additionally, Seattle really didn't fare well overall in this draft class. There were a lot of prospects I thought had a chance to be Seahawks that weren't. Chief amongst them was Sio Moore. He was a prospect that had the ridiculous measurables but not really a position of need. Additionally, I thought Eddie Lacy would have been an ideal choice to succeed Lynch, as their punishing styles are very similar. Seattle may have coveted Michael over Lacy, but I have a hunch that they expected one of the two to be available at #64 so they swung a deal down in the draft.

From a need standpoint, I believe WR trumped all other positions. And the ability to add decent talent at that position was substandard in 2013. I don't think Patterson was ever really an option here. OL was also a strong need that year, and I think there was an expectation that Kyle Long could be there at #56. Obviously Chicago 'reached' for him and it turns out he was probably still picked too low at #20.

It was a home run swing that whiffed. In retrospect, or even in futurespect -- it's the kind of move I endorse picking amongst the last 5-6 picks in the round. Seattle is rather famous for trading their first round picks. The only pick we've ever not attempted to trade out of was our very first pick (Okung in 2010). If I'm playing armchair GM, I'd have rather we traded out of #25 for future draft picks. But Schneider is very adamantly opposed to those kinds of trades.

Ultimately, the class was weak not unlike the 2011 class. Particularly in the 21-100 overall range. Seattle didn't set the world on fire with any of their 2013 picks. And if we're being honest here -- they've really had a meager result in the draft for two years running now. IMO, it's a cause for significant concern, particularly as it's been hypothesized that much of our success may have been attributable to Carroll's experience at the college level. That experience is now exhausted.

I'd hope this trade doesn't affect future possible moves. Because it didn't work out doesn't mean the reasoning wasn't sound. Seattle should be well positioned to make moves in 2015, as we should get 4 compensatory picks. I'm not sure yet how the committee will award them, as we have a net loss of 6 qualifying UFAs this year. You can't have more than 4 picks -- but it's unknown if the compensation formula simply drops off remaining qualifiers or if those losses are compounded to elevate some the 4 picks we will receive. It's typically very rare to have more than 4 net losses.

• Upvote 2

On the one hand, Schneider has proven to be genuinely poor at getting value for his trades. We give up far more on paper in virtually every trade we make. I am particularly envious of Baalke's ability to just plain dominate the returns on his trades.

I wouldn't be as a Seattle fan. San Francisco isn't winning anything anytime soon. Are you content or do you want to win another SB before some of the guys get a little older? Obviously you want to win but would you be Ok with it?

Per Rotoworld.com:

Marshawn Lynch's agent called the report of his client "almost not getting on the team bus" to head to St. Louis after learning of Percy Harvin's trade "bogus."
The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta had the original report, saying Lynch "went off" before almost not boarding the bus. It was a stupid "story" from the beginning anyway. Lynch ended up rushing for 53 yards on 18 carries against the Rams. But he had a 15-yard touchdown and 18-yard run called back on penalties. Lynch is locked in as a workhorse RB1 for Week 8 against the Panthers. Carolina is allowing the 3rd-most fantasy points to running backs. Oct 22 - 12:01 AM

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini believes the Jets will release Percy Harvin before March 19.
March 19 is important because if Harvin is on the roster, the Jets will owe the Seahawks a fourth-round pick. If he's not on the roster, the Jets will only have to send Seattle a sixth-rounder. Considering the Jets can wash their hands completely clean of Harvin's $10.5 million salary without a dead-money hit makes the decision even easier. Harvin is electric when healthy, so he'd be a highly-interesting player to track should he hit the market. And it sounds like he will. Feb 11 - 10:03 AM

He's still probably the most dangerous X-factor player in the league right now (with Cordarrelle Patterson possibly on his heels) and is going to have suitors lined up for him. Percy isn't quite great at one particular area but is dangerous in all areas. He's like that lightning in a bottle that can explode at any given time. The last two teams he's been on have horribly mismanaged his skill set and didn't utilize him correctly. Having Harvin in a Chip Kelly offense would be a nightmare; hopefully not for our locker room though :D

He's still probably the most dangerous X-factor player in the league right now (with Cordarrelle Patterson possibly on his heels) and is going to have suitors lined up for him. Percy isn't quite great at one particular area but is dangerous in all areas. He's like that lightning in a bottle that can explode at any given time. The last two teams he's been on have horribly mismanaged his skill set and didn't utilize him correctly. Having Harvin in a Chip Kelly offense would be a nightmare; hopefully not for our locker room though :D

hi-res-154528806_crop_650x440.jpg

Fair enough. I think a Percy Harvin on an Aaron Rodgers Packers led team is potentially more dynamic.

Edited by Dutch