Tridentdawgpound

2014 MLB Offseason Thread

This is the place for roster moves, coaching hires, rosterbation, and everything else pertaining to the winter.

Please get rid of Melvin and sign legitimately anyone else to play center field.

Offseason Wishlist:

1. Do not run into the Giants in the postseason

LF: Cespedes

CF: Rusney Castillo

RF: Mookie Betts

4th OF: Nava, Victorino as well, but not counting on him to be healthy

3B: FA signing/trade/not Garin Cechinni. Chase Headley would be a good fit IMO.

SS: Bogaerts

2B: Pedroia

1B: Nap

C: FA signing + Christian Vazquez

Our problem last year was outfield hitting. Jackie Bradley Jr and Grady Sizemore absolutely murdered our offensive output. Also, Victorino missed the entire year forcing Jonny Gomes to play everyday, which he should not be doing as he cannot hit RHP. So seeing as how our outfield outlook is much much better for next year, and our infield is still good, I'm focused mainly on starting pitching.

Current staff:

SP1: tbd

SP2: tbd

SP3: Buchholz

SP4: Joe Kelly

SP5: Henry Owens hopefully (if not him then one of the other young arms-either Ruby de la Rosa, Ranaudo, or Allen Webster)

So obviously we need 2 front of the rotation arms. I think these are the best FA SP's

Lester

Scherzer

Iwakuma

Santana

Shields

Those are pretty much the only guys who could be considered 1s or 2s in a rotation. Lester and Scherzer will probably be too pricey. I could see us signing Iwakuma and Shields, something like that. Or maybe some type of trade. Either way I am excited to see how we go about getting our top 2 starters.

EDIT: Iwakuma's option got picked up, so he's out.

Edited by BradyFan81

Gordon Edes @GordonEdes Follow

I know how hard this is to believe but a well-placed source predicted that Red Sox will re-sign Lester, and may go up to 6 yrs to do so

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/41068/baseball-exec-predicts-lester-will-return

:towel:

Get Hanley Ramirez/Pablo Sandoval too. :devious:

Edited by BradyFan81

Missed postseason by .5 games, missed a Felix Cy Young by a couple votes. Happy trails to the epic bust Justin Smoak whom we traded Cliff freaking Lee to acquire. That leaves us a huge hole at both SS and DH. We just need some guys who can get on base at those positions, nothing flashy, no blockbuster deals. Just get some guys who aren't easy outs. Cano, Seager, Zunino, and Morales will take care of the power.

PLEASE

Now that the Atlanta Braves have sent the message that they're rebuilding, they'll probably trade Justin Upton, who is a free agent after the 2015 season.

Two offseasons ago, the Seattle Mariners and Arizona Diamondbacks had agreed to a trade built around Upton and pitching prospect Taijuan Walker, only to have Upton veto the trade when he invoked his limited no-trade clause.

[+] Enlargemlb_g_uptonhr_300x300.jpg
Scott Cunningham/Getty ImagesJustin Upton hit 29 home runs and drove in 102 runs for the Braves last season.

Well, two years later, the Mariners still need a right-handed-hitting outfielder and Upton has reportedly removed the Mariners from his no-trade list.

So maybe general manager Jack Zduriencik re-kindles the Walker-for-Upton idea. Clearly, the Braves are looking for cost-controlled young players, as evidenced by the Jason Heyward trade. The Mariners wouldn't trade Walker for Upton at this point, considering Walker is under team control for six seasons versus one for Upton, so the trade would have to be expanded.

The Braves need a second baseman. The Mariners happen to have two shortstops in Brad Miller and Chris Taylor but are rumored to be interested in Hanley Ramirez. So here's an idea: Walker and one of the shortstops for Upton and Evan Gattis (the Mariners also need a designated hitter). The Mariners then sign Ramirez to play shortstop. With a hole in the rotation, they sign a second-tier starter like Chris Young or Jason Hammel, or splurge a little more onErvin Santana.

Seattle's lineup would then look something like this:

CF Austin Jackson
3B Kyle Seager
2B Robinson Cano
RF Justin Upton
SS Hanley Ramirez
1B Logan Morrison
DH Evan Gattis
C Mike Zunino
LF Dustin Ackley

That's a pretty deep lineup in this era and the Mariners fix their righty-lefty imbalance that plagued them last year by bringing in three good right-handed hitters.

The rotation would have Felix Hernandez, Hisashi Iwakuma, James Paxton, Roenis Elias and the veteran starter. The bullpen, one of the best and deepest in the majors in 2014, returns everybody except free agent Joe Beimel (who could re-sign). That rotation is a little thin, so the Mariners could shop Michael Saunders -- a solid-if-injury-prone outfielder and not a favorite of Zduriencik or manager Lloyd McClendon -- for another back-of-the-rotation type.

Does all that fit into Seattle's payroll? Baseball-Reference estimates the Mariners' payroll right now at $100.5 million (almost half of that for Cano and Hernandez), including estimates for arbitration-eligible players. Upton makes $14.5 million. Ramirez may require an average annual salary of $18 million or so, but the Mariners could backload that and pay him, say, $14 million in 2015. A pitcher like Young or Hammel would cost about $6 million to $8 million on a one-year deal. Gattis isn't even arbitration-eligible until 2016, so he's still making less than a million.

You'd be looking at a $135 million payroll or so, after sitting at about $90 million in 2014. That's a big hike but considering Cano and Hernandez aren't going to get any better, and considering the American League hasn't been so wide open in years, the Mariners' window to strike may be right now.

• Downvote 1

Braves fans, coaches, teammates, #BravesCountry

While it may not have worked out long term I'm very blessed to have played at HOME for the same Organization I was invested in as kid growing up in McDonough, Ga. Played for The Great Bobby Cox, said farewell to a first ballot Hall Of Famer Chipper Jones after an unbelievable career. I made many great friends and became as close as family with most. Thank you for that. Thank you for applauding my effort and passion for the game of baseball. Thank you for acknowledging my love for rockin The "A" on my work hat. Been a pleasure to have called HOME my workplace.

As we part ways know that the memories will be carried with me for the rest. Reaching out to say that I won't forget where I'm from and you'll always see me playing the game I love with passion and heart. Knowing and appreciating the fact I had the pleasure of creating heartfelt memories with so many people the past 5 years. Thank you again for your heart, thank you for the motivation and excitement.

THANK YOU for the LOVE

Seems like a great dude. He will fit right in in St. Louis. Even if he never lives up to his potential as a hitter, I hope we can lock him up long term. Although, to be honest, I don't think StL made this trade thinking about the long term... They needed an immediate upgrade, and that's what they got.

So, Stanton's contract is holy fucking backloaded.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/how-giancarlo-stanton-will-get-paid-less-in-2015-after-signing--325m-deal-200544890.html

In other words, it's a 6/107 deal ($17.8M per year) before the opt-out clase, and a 7/218 deal ($31.1M per) after.

Blue Jays giving Russell Martin $82m over 5 years, will be making $20m per season in final 3 years of contract...

iQhfIsCHNAYMe.gif

Ya, the end of that contract is gonna be pretty shitty for them. But he should be able to help them out a lot in the short term. The Pirates are kinda screwed without him now, but I knew he was leaving months ago.

Apparently the Cardinals are in the Jon Lester sweepstakes, which is really odd to me. The fact we traded Shelby Miller away tells me the staff and management are OK with the depth and potential replacements of Carlos Martinez and Marco Gonzalez. This news tho makes me wonder if they are worried about Waino or Wacha moving forward.

https://vine.co/v/O1qhUTTOlB7

Edited by Favre4Ever

Mike Matheny gave up his #22 for Jason Heyward.

B3D-QRYIUAABRBB.jpg

B21YgwfIAAAm_x4.jpg

Mike Matheny then stole Carlos Martinez' 44 and Carlos is honoring Oscar with 18. Time to get me a #22 jersey and pray we sign him.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Alright, so this is some hilarious shit. There is a 14 year old on twitter https://twitter.com/mlb_nl_al/with_replies who somehow has a source within the Red Sox and is getting the scoops on what's happening. He was the 1st to report the Hanley and Sandoval deals. Lou Merloni, a local radio/media guy called him out and the kid DMs Lou and told him who his source was and Lou was just like "Yep he has a source." Hilarious stuff.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/24/76250c708704c5f601a17face819b6eb.jpg

Read Lou Merloni's timeline: https://twitter.com/LouMerloni/with_replies

This kid must have like an uncle or family member that's just feeding him info.

Jake is reporting that we're offering Lester a 6 yr deal worth 130 million, with a Wednesday deadline. Best offseason ever if we get Lester back here.

Edited by BradyFan81

As a Brewers fan, I am going to rightfully set my standards low for the upcoming 2015 season. As long as they don't throw away a majority season first place division lead and subsequently a postseason berth, then I'll be happy.

Mariners signed Nelson Cruz. So, do they finally have enough to capture the West?

Just learned about this about 3 minutes ago and I must say, I'm highly impressed. This is so unlike us, and big free agent names typically don't enjoy landing here. But perhaps that's what the Cano deal opened up for us. Cruz led the league with 40 HRs last year. Now lets play the "How does this look on paper" game.

1. CF Austin Jackson

2. LF James Jones / Endy Chavez

3. 2B Robinson Cano

4. DH Nelson Cruz

5. 3B Kyle Seager

6. C Mike Zunino

7. 1B Logan Morrison

8. RF Mike Saunders

9. SS Brad Miller

Yeah that's pretty stinkin good. Not only did we need that huge DH hole filled with a serviceable power bat, we needed someone able to get those clutch hits from the right side. Now starting pitchers have to deal with Austin Jackson from the right side, Cano left side, Nelson Cruz right side, Seager left. Easily the best lineup we've fielded since Joey-Edgar-Junior-Buhner.

:rock:

Edited by BC