BLUE

Update: HOF finalists named

Bill Polian should not be in the hall because he lucked out on Peyton Manning.

You know he did stuff before the colts right?

Seau is a lock.

Gotta think so.

If I had a vote...

Marvin Harrison

Orlando Pace

Will Shields

Junior Seau

Terrell Davis

• Upvote 1

Marvin Harrison, Kevin Greene, Will Shields - Top 5 players All-Time at their positions, imo.

Junior Seau, Kurt Warner, Kevin Mawae (not a lot of Cs), Terrell Davis (short career) - Top 10

Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Steve Atwater, John Lynch, Edgerrin James, Roger Craig - Just outside Top 10

Charles Haley, Jerome Bettis, Karl Meklenburg, Mike Kenn, Tim Brown, Darren Woodson - Top 20

I always thought Ty Law was supremely overrated and that he got away with a lot of holding. Shouldn't be in the Hall, imo. Too many other great (and better) CBs.

Joe Jacoby seems like someone that benefited from the great team around him. His accolades all came during the Redskins' championship era.

Kevin Greene, Marvin Harrison, Will Shields, Junior Seau, and Kurt Warner, imo.

Looks like my 5 have a shot.

Marvin Harrison

Junior Seau

Orlando Pace

Will Shields - Should have been got in imo. Dude was a wall.

Kevin Greene - No reasonable explanation why Kevin Greene wasn't inducted decades ago. Wonder who he pissed off .

I like Kurt Warner a lot. One of the best playoff QB's ever and is to be commended taking another team to a superbowl. However, when I think of a first ballot Hall of Fame QB, Kurt Warner's career doesn't quite measure up in it's entirety. I'd be all for it for 2nd or 3rd year but not first.

• Upvote 1

Yeah on almost 13,700 carries for a 3.9 career average. Meh. Had too many seasons in the 3.X YPC for my liking. Jmo

John Riggins had a career average of 3.9 YPC, and he only had to wait one season to get in. If he's deserving of the Hall of Fame, then so is Jerome Bettis. Furthermore, Bettis was a 6X Pro Bowler, a 2X First-Team All-Pro, and a 1X Second-Team All-Pro. He was the Offensive Rookie of the Year in 1993, the Comeback Player of the Year in 1996, and the Walter Payton Man of the Year in 2001. He's the last great "big" back we've seen in the NFL. I don't see why he's not deserving of the Hall of Fame.

With that said, he'll probably end up being a "Senior Committee" inductee because of the perception that there are "too many Steelers in the Hall of Fame." Now you know why Mike Webster wasn't a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer, why Dermontti Dawson had to wait the better part of a decade to get in, and why L.C. Greenwood is still not in. The fact that Mike Webster even had to wait at all is a travesty, especially considering that there were only four players inducted in 1996, his first year of eligibility.

• Upvote 1

Riggins position is actually listed as Fullback for alot of his career according to PFR. Bettis seemed like a FB as well. If I'm not mistaken Jim Brown was even listed as FB. IDK maybe I'm just being a hater.

You have to be special to be a hall of famer, guess I don't think Bettis was like Riggins and obviously Brown.

Junior Seau headlines HOF class
Updated: January 31, 2015, 8:54 PM ET
By Jeff Legwold | ESPN.com
PHOENIX -- Former San Diego Chargers linebacker Junior Seau and Kansas City Chiefs guard Will Shields, both 12-time Pro Bowl selections in their NFL careers, led the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2015.
Seau, in his first year of eligibility, Shields, former Pittsburgh Steelers running back and current ESPN analyst Jerome Bettis, wide receiver Tim Brown and defensive end Charles Haley were the five modern-era enshrinees, selected Saturday in the meeting of the Hall's board of selectors.
The Class of '15 will also include former Minnesota Vikings center Mick Tingelhoff, who played 240 games in his career and was the seniors committee nominee, as well as two nominees in the contributors category -- former Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts general manager and current ESPN analyst Bill Polian, as well as long-time NFL executive Ron Wolf.
The Hall's board of selectors began the day with 15 modern-era finalists, which were trimmed first to 10 finalists and then five in the day-long meeting. A finalist must receive 80 percent of the vote from the 46 selectors to be selected for enshrinement. The class was formally announced during the "NFL Honors" television show inside the Phoenix Symphony Hall. The Class of '15 will be formally enshrined at the Hall of Fame in August.

really glad to see Bettis make it, I also didn't realize that contributors were in a different category this year

Tim Brown over Harrison is fucking stupid.

Charles Haley over Kevin Greene is atrocious.

Nice to see The Bus make it, even if he should've waited a bit, imo, considering the competition.

• Upvote 1

Tim Brown over Harrison is fucking stupid.

how so? to be clear, Harrison should get in, and will get in eventually, I just don't see him as more deserving than Brown

Edited by oochymp

Harrison is the 4th best WR ever, imo. Tim Brown just played longer than most. I have him at 17 on my all time list.

-Harrison had 8 Rec and 28 TDs, on Brown with only 354 fewer yards in 4 fewer seasons (65 games).

-Harrison was one of the greatest route runners ever and had 4 straight 100 reception seasons, including the record of 143, while Brown topped 100 only once (104).

-Harrison was a First Team All-Pro 3 times to Brown's 0 and a Second Team All-Pro 5 times to Brown's 1.

• Upvote 2

Harrison should be a HOFer. Too many wrs right now. Makes it tough for new ones. I think Rice is the last first ballot guy for a while

I don't think Brown deserves to be out when Carter and Reed are in. Which is kind of the thing with WR's, they've set a bad precedent with the logjam they had for other guys.

I just learned tonight on another football message board that a player who was a 2X First-Team All-Pro selection was never considered "elite" at his position. :lol:

By the way, it's hard to maintain a high YPC when you're constantly running against eight- or even nine-man fronts because nobody fears Kordell Stewart throwing the ball.

Tim Brown also never played with a QB anywhere near the level of Peyton Manning, it's tough to compile a lot of receiving stats when your QBs are only completing 300 or so passes a year for 3500 yards or so, and his teams weren't as good in general, Brown was on six playoff teams and five ten win teams compared to nine of each for Harrison (with four fewer seasons) which impacts end of season recognition, again, I'm not saying Harrison doesn't deserve it (in fact, I had Harrison, not Brown, on my initial list) but I don't think it's an injustice for Brown to get in first

for reference, here are the stats of the QBs Brown was catching passes from: Player Season Finder Query Results | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Edited by oochymp

Nice Class for the Hall 2015.

Glad Shields made it, he was a Beast.

• Upvote 2

Tim Brown also never played with a QB anywhere near the level of Peyton Manning, it's tough to compile a lot of receiving stats when your QBs are only completing 300 or so passes a year for 3500 yards or so, and his teams weren't as good in general, Brown was on six playoff teams and five ten win teams compared to nine of each for Harrison (with four fewer seasons) which impacts end of season recognition, again, I'm not saying Harrison doesn't deserve it (in fact, I had Harrison, not Brown, on my initial list) but I don't think it's an injustice for Brown to get in first

for reference, here are the stats of the QBs Brown was catching passes from: Player Season Finder Query Results | Pro-Football-Reference.com

We could play this game all day. Is Jerry Rice less of the greatest WR ever because he played for the 49ers with Montana and Young?

Nobody wants to put Ben above or with Peyton and Brady despite the fact that his offensive line and coaching has been atrocious compared to theirs, even after he lead the league in passing this year when once he had a decent OL/OC pairing again.

• Upvote 2

Nice Class for the Hall 2015.

Glad Shields made it, he was a Beast.

I can't wait until Alan Faneca joins him. :yep:

Nobody wants to put Ben above or with Peyton and Brady despite the fact that his offensive line and coaching has been atrocious compared to theirs, even after he lead the league in passing this year when once he had a decent OL/OC pairing again.

so we need to cut Ben some slack based on supporting cast but can't do the same for Tim Brown?

Tim Brown is third in NFL history in number of 1000 yard receiving seasons with 9 (behind Rice (14) and Moss (10) and tied with TO and Jimmy Smith, Harrison has 8) and Brown has a better career YPC at 13.7 to Harrison's 13.2

Regular season and Superbowl MVP. Eleven men have won both the NFL regular season and the Super Bowl MVP awards, and six of the seven eligible are in (Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Joe Montana and Steve Young). this guy is the only one who is not (the other four, Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are not yet eligible).

One of Six players to rush for 2,000 yards.

Seven straight postseason games where he ran for a 100 yards, winning each one.

Only Hall of Fame running backs Thurman Thomas, Franco Harris and Jim Taylor have better records. Thomas had 52 wins, Harris had 52, and Taylor had a better percentage but the record was 23-2-1, 14 wins short of this guy.
The 4th highest regular season yards per carry of all time.
Here are some well-known Hall of Famers who did not accomplish all of the above: Jim Brown, Marshall Faulk, Larry Csonka, Tony Dorsett, John Riggins, Leroy Kelly, Marcus Allen, John Henry Johnson, Emmitt Smith, Earl Campbell, Walter Payton, Gale Sayers, Curtis Martin, Floyd Little, Eric Dickerson, O.J. Simpson and Barry Sanders.

Pro tip, these are not Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis' achievements either. :smug:

(runs away from the flames)

Pro tip, these are not Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis' achievements either. :smug:

(runs away from the flames)

Terrell Davis would be in if he'd had more than four good seasons

Terrell Davis would be in if he'd had more than four good seasons

He did more in those seasons that a bunch of guys who are already in did in their entire careers, so what's it matter?

If Gale Sayers can be in the HoF, then Terrell Davis can be too.

Edited by FartWaffles
  • Upvote 2

If Gale Sayers can be in the HoF, then Terrell Davis can be too.

I've heard that, and it's a decent argument, but I'd take Sayers pretty easily over Davis largely because Sayers did make a comeback from one injury to lead the league in rushing in 1969 before a second injury ended his career, the numbers don't look as impressive but you have to keep in mind that Sayers wasn't ever the only back in Chicago getting a significant number of carries, played in a 14 game season, and Davis was in a very RB friendly system, I also think it's worth mentioning that Sayers got in when there wasn't such a backlog of deserving players

don't get me wrong, Davis was great, and I won't consider it a completely wrong decision, to me he's a very borderline guy who should be low on the backlog list because of how short his career was