Sign in to follow this  
McTater

Could You See Demarco Murray Leaving?

https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/555074760720138241

I might be reading into Ryan Williams signing on to a 2 year deal, but I think let Murray walk would be the best thing to do. Murray would want a huge contract, and I don't think that'd be the right thing to do. This is the only season where Murray played every single game. Whats saying his body will even be in as good of shape next year? RB's who carry the ball 390+ times, as Murray did this year, see a dip in production the following year about 800 fewer rushing yards. I wouldn't have a problem seeing Randle Williams and Dunbar carry the load and drafting someone to give us more of a power game. Also look at Murray's fumbles this year. Which I think if he hadn't of fumbled in the Packers game we would've had a better shot of winning. I like watching Murray play, but not enough to break the bank so he can maybe have one or two more decent years.

Edited by McTater

If Murray is asking for a a reasonable salary I think the Cowboys would be foolish to let a RB of his caliber leave. On the other hand if he's asking for more and the Cowboys want to invest their money elsewhere I could definitely see them letting him hit free agency. Replacing a guy like Murray will always come with a drop-off in play but with a great O-line a RB will still excel. The position just isn't what it used to be and it's probably the easiest spot to replace these days.

• Upvote 1

As awesome as Demarco played, resigning Dez Bryant should be their main priority. Murray had a historic year and in order for the Cowboys to resign him, he'd have to give them a home discount price. Who knows if he's willing to do that. The running game was an integral part of their success this season but the value of the position just quite isn't there. Shotgun already mentioned how great their offensive line is, they could still probably have a solid running game with a RB committee. Injury concerns, fumble issues, and considering the life span of the position and the workload that Murray had all play a factor in this. Breaking bank on Murray when Dez needs to be resigned may not be a good move if their cap situation is sketchy. Dez has a lot more to offer and is a more safe and secure long term answer. The Cowboys might try to find some way to make it work and sign both of them but it's a possibility that Murray hits the market and Dez gets the mega deal.

I am just not a fan of committing a lot of money to the RB position. Dallas has a great o-line, this looks like a really good upcoming RB draft class, and I still think there's a good chance Adrian Peterson dons a Cowboys jersey next year.

If DeMarco commands a huge payday, I'd say adiós amigo.

I am just not a fan of committing a lot of money to the RB position. Dallas has a great o-line, this looks like a really good upcoming RB draft class, and I still think there's a good chance Adrian Peterson dons a Cowboys jersey next year.

If DeMarco commands a huge payday, I'd say adiós amigo.

M4Okpx9.gif

• Upvote 1

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys have had a four-year deal worth "more than" $16 million on the table for impending free agent DeMarco Murray.
As former Rotoworlder Chris Wesseling put it, no wonder Murray hasn't signed. Even in a depressed market for running backs, that's chump change for a runner who took the league by storm in 2014, putting the Cowboys' offense on his back in the process. At the bare minimum, Murray will likely be looking for $16 million guaranteed, not total. Arian Peterson, LeSean McCoy and Arian Foster have all broken the $20 million guaranteed threshold in recent seasons, but it's been a fairly-hard ceiling for running backs. Jan 13 - 7:12 PM
Edited by BLUE

The writing's on the wall for Murray to leave, and TGP is smart enough to see why.

• RBs are interchangable, especially with Dallas' awesome O-line.
  • Dallas has salary cap issues and needs to prioritize Dez Bryant.

Easy choice.

• Upvote 2

If his asking price is decent then yes but since the Cowboys have a great offensive line i wouldn't give him a huge contract.

if this becomes a question of bringing back Murray or Bryant I think that decision is pretty clear

There's reasonable and then there's at least paying respect to his worth. Dallas should want him back. He's figured out a way to avoid injuries by minimizing harsh contact and he's one of the few runners in the NFL who always falls forward and gains an extra few years. At the same time, they absolutely have to give guys like Randle more carries. Joseph Randle has some nasty skills and great breakaway speed and there is no denying that Dallas under-utilized him.

Dallas needs to bring DeMarco Murray back, imo, but he needs to understand the value of his position and he needs to understand that draining every last dollar that he can only hurts the team. Dez needs to figure the same thing out. Romo needs to restructure, as does Brandon Carr.

If these Cowboys star players want to see what an all-pro player should do in regard to getting paid but being team friendly, they only need to look at Tyron Smith.

Joseph Randle averaged nearly 7 ypc on 51 carries. I believe you could put just about any RB behind that line and he'll get yards. Yes Murray is a stud, but so are 50 other guys around the league and coming up from college.

There is absolutely no need to spend a lot of money on Murray.

Dez on the other hand, there are only a handful of guys who can do what he can do.

• Upvote 2

Believe me, I don't think any running back warrants a huge contract anymore, and I'd never pay one double digit yearly figures or even dream of it, but Dallas has to at least offer something more reasonable to Murray. 4 years 16 million is laughable.

They have to try retain him. Dez has to be the priority, obviously, and I'd put Carter and Durant ahead of Murray, too, but they have to at least offer DeMarco something that makes him consider staying.

Showing a player of his caliber the door would have a negative impact on Dallas' offense, guaranteed. They can't just let him walk.

Edited by BwareDWare94

If Demarco does leave which seems very likely at this point, I just hope he doesn't end up with the Giants. I'm always weary of that team. Always feel like they are lurking and prime to rebound any given season. Murray going there giving them a running game which will open up more opportunities for their WR play makers is headache worthy.

Good destinations I could see for Murray:

:panthers: Giving Cam a running game could alleviate a sizable load off his shoulders and open things up for him.

:Colts: The Colts are such a one dimensional team with Luck carrying the offense. Giving him a running game would make that offense incredible difficult to defend imo.

:Giants: Giants could get back to that ground n pound offense and they have some explosive play makers at the receiver position with OBJ and if Cruz returns healthy.

:Vikings: If A.P doesn't return, giving Bridgewater a RB could help his development in a huge way. He quietly made nice progression throughout the season and putting solid pieces around your young QB is the way to go.

None of those teams have anything close to what resembles a competent offensive line. I don't think DeMarco does all that much for any of them unless they improve drastically up front.