Sign in to follow this  
Milla4Prez63

Jeff Gordon announces 2015 is his last full season

Jeff Gordon announced this morning that this season would be his last full season in NASCAR. He didn't straight up say retirement and it's likely he'll be back running a part time schedule in 2016, but this is his last chance to get that elusive 5th championship. A pretty legendary career, good luck to him.

Dude isn't even 45 yet... Wasn't really expecting this. Wow

like Milla said, I'm sure he'll still run a part time schedule, and while he is only 43, he's been in the top series for over twenty years, it'll be weird to not see him at every race, but this will open up a spot for another young driver, which the sport desperately needs and seems to have plenty of in the pipeline

• Upvote 1

It could just be me, but I don't think Jeff enjoys racing nearly as much as he used to. For the past 3 or 4 years, I've read his body language as just... ho hum, I'm here, it's my job, I earn lots of cash. I think his priorities in life have definitely changed. I agree that it will be weird watching without him. He's always been racing every since I can remember. He's had a terrific career in which he has accomplished much more than most drivers could ever dream of. Farewell, Jeff.

One of the greatest. I'll remember watching him dominate the sport when I was growing up.

Jeff has had back problems too, plus he has a family now. NASCAR is such a tough sport to live a family life because of the insane schedule.

Jeff has had back problems too, plus he has a family now. NASCAR is such a tough sport to live a family life because of the insane schedule.

yeah, I think the schedule is probably the biggest thing, drivers running a full schedule are basically going non-stop for ten months out of the year, that's gotta be taxing

Hendrick Motorsports has confirmed that Chase Elliott will take over the #24 in 2016, and the number will remain 24 by the request of Jeff Gordon. Elliott will also run a few Cup races this year in the #25 as he goes for another Nationwide/Infinity Series title.

It'd be great if guys like Jeff who retire from full time would do more stuff like Tony Stewart and promote the sport by running different styles of cars at small tracks.

I really hope Stewart isn't done running sprints, trucks, and late models.

As tiring as the NASCAR schedule is i bet Jeff feels like he's 60.

I never understood how these guys do it. He'll be missed.

Edited by BoneKrusher