Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Jets now have their QB

Meh, as long as Decker shows up when it matters I don't care.

The New York Jets offered Ryan Fitzpatrick a three-year contract with $12 million in the first year of the deal, sources told Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post.

New York made Fitzpatrick that offer in March, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, but the veteran quarterback remains a free agent.

Fitzpatrick started all 16 games for the Jets last season, throwing for 3,905 yards and 31 touchdowns against 15 interceptions.

Jets star wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker vocally lobbied the team to re-sign Fitzpatrick, to no avail so far.

If the two parties cannot agree upon terms ahead of the 2016 season, Geno Smith becomes the team's starting quarterback. New York also drafted quarterback Christian Hackenberg in the second round. He'll challenge Smith and Bryce Petty for the team's starting role.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1034316

If this is true and they offered him 12 million I don't blame the Jets for not offering more.

But when Sam Bradford is getting $35M over two years I can't blame Fitzpatrick for wanting more than $12M this season

But when Sam Bradford is getting $35M over two years I can't blame Fitzpatrick for wanting more than $12M this season

I'm not, based on the market. Also not mad at the Jets for not offering more though.

Other reports say it's 3 years for 24M which means half the deal is in Year 1, effectively making him a lame duck. I don't blame Fitz for wanting more than 12M a year, but the real joke is that the Jets are only offering 6M a year after that.

Other reports say it's 3 years for 24M which means half the deal is in Year 1, effectively making him a lame duck. I don't blame Fitz for wanting more than 12M a year, but the real joke is that the Jets are only offering 6M a year after that.

6 mil a year for a journeyman QB who is going to be 34 who has never led a team to the playoffs? Not that ridiculous.

Also, I'm sure if Fitzpatrick had another great season the Jets would be willing to restructure a bit and give him more money.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

6M is nothing for a veteran presence, great teammate, and best QB your team has had in over a decade. 6M is backup and starting QBs on their 1st contracts type of money. It's garbage, and this is why the Jets are a joke.

6M is nothing for a veteran presence, great teammate, and best QB your team has had in over a decade. 6M is backup and starting QBs on their 1st contracts type of money. It's garbage, and this is why the Jets are a joke.

Fitzpatrick was a joke before he came to the Jets. I don't believe in putting all your eggs in the basket of a guy who was mediocre for 10 seasons because of one good season (maybe two if you count the one year in Buffalo where they gave him a lot of money and look how that turned out). Dude didn't even get us to the PLAYOFFS last year (and was pretty shit in the last game in Buffalo when it mattered most).

Fitzpatrick is not the difference between the Jets making the Super Bowl or not. There's no reason to believe he's even the guy to get us to the playoffs (nothing in his history shows that he has that ability). So why throw that kind of money for a journeyman?

I like Fitzpatrick. I really do. And I do hope he gets on this team because he would be the best option we have at QB (which is not saying much). But I actually admire the Jets taking a stand against the ridiculous money that meh quarterbacks are currently getting.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Want to know how the Jets missed the playoffs? By Fitzpatrick throwing three backbreaking interceptions in the 4th quarter alone vs. Buffalo in week 17.

Suffice to say he's getting offered the money that he deserves.

• Upvote 1

Fitzpatrick was a joke before he came to the Jets. I don't believe in putting all your eggs in the basket of a guy who was mediocre for 10 seasons because of one good season (maybe two if you count the one year in Buffalo where they gave him a lot of money and look how that turned out). Dude didn't even get us to the PLAYOFFS last year (and was pretty shit in the last game in Buffalo when it mattered most).

Fitzpatrick is not the difference between the Jets making the Super Bowl or not. There's no reason to believe he's even the guy to get us to the playoffs (nothing in his history shows that he has that ability). So why throw that kind of money for a journeyman?

I like Fitzpatrick. I really do. And I do hope he gets on this team because he would be the best option we have at QB (which is not saying much). But I actually admire the Jets taking a stand against the ridiculous money that meh quarterbacks are currently getting.

The Magic lived long before Fitz ended up on the Jets. Granted, you are right, he had a very nice season last year and the best full season of his career. He had some great success in Houston two years ago though as well, let's not overlook that.

Fitz may not get the Jets to or win a Super Bowl, but I do believe he gives the Jets the best shot to win every week. I have no faith in Hackenberg, Geno, or Petty to do any better.

12M just isn't anything. I don't think 12M on it's own is a terrible offer, but like I said earlier, those extra years are a massive sinkhole. I can also agree that you may not want to sink a LOAD of money into an older QB. You can set the contract up in a way to ensure that certain money isn't triggered until the beginning of the league year or what have you. If you only want Fitz to start 1 more year, you can have it that way.

At least put an offer on the table like that. If Fitz still doesn't like it... Okay, move on. But give it that chance. The Jets front office and cap people have to be the most unimaginable and uncreative people in football, lol.

Want to know how the Jets missed the playoffs? By Fitzpatrick throwing three backbreaking interceptions in the 4th quarter alone vs. Buffalo in week 17.

Suffice to say he's getting offered the money that he deserves.

Put Geno Smith in there and the Jets aren't even in the position to miss the playoffs in Week 17. He's obviously no Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben and he should be paid accordingly. I agree with Ricky that it's nice the Jets aren't super eager to just over pay him but 6M a year is literally backup money (good backup money, to be fair).

I am okay with the 12... LIke I said, I don't have a problem with Fitz wanting a little more, but I don't blame the Jets for sticking to that. The rest of the reported (who knows if its accurate) deal is a joke though.

With that said, it's not like he is going to get better from anyone else, and the Jets know that. Could see the Jets falling back to 4-6 wins with Geno Smith at QB -- that should be fun.

Should offer him 3/36 with 18 guaranteed. If he sucks after one year just take the penalty and give him $6 million. Fitz is the best QB on that roster by a mile.

What if Geno doesn't win the job though?

Bryce Petty time! =O

The Jets' three-year offer to free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick is reportedly worth up to $36 million.

The base value of the deal is $24 million with $12 million coming in the first year and over $15 million guaranteed. While the $12 million in available incentives makes the deal look more reasonable, the New York Daily News' Manish Mehta called them "fugazi incentives," indicating there is little chance they would ever be reached. A one-year deal with an option for 2017 could be the compromise both sides are waiting for, but this saga looks destined to drag out well into the summer.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3240/ryan-fitzpatrick

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini suggests the Muhammad Wilkerson deal could improve the chances the Jets re-sign free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick.

The Jets had only $3.4 in cap room before signing Wilkerson. Because that deal will lower his $15.7 million cap number by what Cimini anticipates as "a few million," it could free up more money to keep Fitzpatrick on a one-year deal. "The Jets haven't been keen on the idea of a one-year deal; perhaps this changes things," Cimini wrote. Locking up Wilkerson long term, then re-signing the Jets' starting quarterback would represent a big July for GM Mike Maccagnan.

As if there were any doubt about Fitzy sitting out the whole season. He'll sign right before training camp starts and this whole butt-hurtedness saga will just be yesterday's news.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Jets haven't negotiated with free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick in "over a month."

Not even the cap room created by Muhammad Wilkerson's extension has been able to get the ball rolling in talks. The sides still badly need each other, but it's possible bitterness has set in. If Fitz isn't back within the first few days of camp, things will really get serious.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Jets signed QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year, $12 million contract.
The deal is fully guaranteed and includes $3 million in incentives. Fitzpatrick played hardball all offseason before signing on the first day of training camp. The Jets were always Fitzpatrick's only realistic destination. His return locks in Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker as high-volume targets. Fitzpatrick's salary puts him in the low-end of NFL starters, but he'll have a chance for a multi-year extension if he repeats his 2015 success. Jul 27 - 7:11 PM