Zack_of_Steel

What is Consciousness?

This is a long article by Oliver Burkeman of The Guardian.

I won't copy and paste because it's so long, but I'll post the link as well as two short follow-ups:

Why cant the worlds greatest minds solve the mystery of consciousness?

A way forward to solve the hard problem of consciousness

Missing links in the consciousness debate

The article examines the Consciousness debate from the point of view of many different philosophers and scientists.

Is consciousness simply an illusion, brought about by the physical brain working as normal? Is consciousness some physical force that we've yet to quantify the way we previously failed to understand light in a physical state? Do all things have some level of consciousness, as panpsychists believe? Is consciousness a metaphysical, unquantifiable, but real object? Are humans simply incapable of understanding consciousness, as a squirrel is unable to understand quantum physics?

What do you think?

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Yes.

*slowly leaves the topic as Zack burns everything*

• Downvote 1

Didn't expect many replies because people are averse to reading. Thought maybe Razor had something insightful to say. smh

Consciousness is just a word. We can see and feel and react, and think, and interpret whatever. People just decided that the state of doing this is called consciousness. When we are unable to react to our surroundings (like when we sleep) we are "unconscious."

Is consciousness personal, or is it shared? I don't know, and I don't know if I can comprehend the evidence one way or another, but I'd like to think that this state of living is something we all share, that we do not exist until others acknowledge our existence, and we do the same for them. If I can only see the world through my eyes, does that mean I am the only constant in the world? I can touch, see and hear the world around me, but if my perception is simply a lie, then how could anybody exist aside from me? Everyone I've ever met, known and learned from would be nothing but figments of my imagination.

It would be terrifying to think that way, so I choose to believe the world is real. However my choice in that matter may also just be a decision made to keep my mind grounded in the reality it has created.

Consciousness has plagued us and we cannot shake it. Though we think we're in control, though we think we're in control. Questions that besiege us in life are testament of our helplessness.

I don't think it's right to make any statements concretely in regard to this topic. All we're really doing is speculating. My thoughts on the subject are that the unreachable answers for each individual in regard to consciousness are tied into growing as individuals. Just like our bodies can grow and mature or even deteriorate, so can the way we process things internally. Some of it is related to maturity, some of it to choice, and some of it to physical health.

It's very odd to think everyone else has their own individual life they're going through 24/7. Everyone has equal consciousness for the most part, but for some reason we put our own over everyone else's. Except for Vin, he's a robot.