Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

House Speaker John Boehner To Retire

Speaker John Boehner announced to House Republicans that he is retiring from Congress at the end of October, according to multiple sources in a closed party meeting.

Politico

Apparently a big reason why he is resigning is due to Republicans refusing to compromise. He was trying to pass something to prevent any government shutdowns for the rest of the year. A handful of repubs refused to sign it unless it had a clause defunding planned parenthood.

The vibe I'm getting from all the articles about it is that Boehner essentially just sacrificed his political career to push through the bill to keep government going.

I think somebody had something seriously damaging on this dude.

or he just got tired of dealing with a fracturing Republican party

Relative to what you may think or expect, he was able to work with Obama on a number of issues in the past. I am not saying he was right or wrong on those issues or any issue in particular... But Republicans have had waning faith in him for over a year now. Mark Meadows tried to pass a motion to "vacate the chair" which would have required Boehner to step down back in July I think. It's only been attempted twice in this country's history.

And Boehner created a war path.. Anyone who voted against him or his leadership would be stripped of committee positions they held.

Again, I am not arguing the politics of Democrats VS Republicans. I am not saying the compromises Boehner made were good or bad. But he didn't have the support of his party any longer and it is probably best to move on.