oochymp

2015-2016 NHL Season

Tried telling Thanatos that the Pens were no joke this year. :coffee:

You are just such a master of putting words in other people's mouths or implying that they said something they did not.

Never said they were a joke. No one would believe that.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Downvote 1

You are just such a master of putting words in other people's mouths or implying that they said something they did not.

Never said they were a joke. No one would believe that.

I don't put words into other people's mouths, you read a little too much into words/phrases, or it goes way over your head.

I never said that you stated the Pens were a joke. After the Caps advanced vs Philly, I was talking about how dangerous the Pens are this year and how they'd beat the shit outta the Caps, to which you mostly brushed off and said ''just because they dominated the Rangers blah blah blah''. Then I went on to elaborate how the Pens have been the hottest team in the league with how they ended the regular season AND carried into the 1st round. To which you also just pretty much brushed off. By me saying ''they're no joke'' meant they're a pretty fucking dangerous team. Understand a little better, you clown?

• Downvote 1

how they'd beat the shit outta the Caps

I don't plan on getting into a big debate about this because I've found arguing with you to be about as effective as arguing with a brick wall but less entertaining for the spectators.

Having said that, the Pens are not beating the shit out of us and I think most of the people watching the series will back me up on this. Each game has been extremely tight, many tighter than even the single goal differential of each game indicates, the fact that the Pens have come out on top of more of them doesn't change that fact.

I also wouldn't consider this a choke if we put up a similar performance Saturday to the past couple games and still lose, it's just a matter of two very good teams meeting too early in the playoffs, it happens and someone has to lose. These two teams finished with the best two records in the Eastern Conference and I don't think there's any shame to be had in losing in the playoffs to the second best team in the conference in a hard fought series. Now if we lay an egg like we did in the elimination game in '09 then yes, that would be a choke job, but I don't see that happening with this team. I still think we have a good chance in this series, it's definitely an uphill battle, but nobody should expect the playoffs to be easy.

The best part is that I don't see either of these teams falling off any time soon, so we should be meeting each other in the playoffs a lot more, especially under the new division format.

Edited by oochymp

If you think the Pens are beating the shit out of the Caps, you aren't watching the series.

Games 1 and 2 were dominated by the Pens, game 2 more so, both ended up one goal games and the series was split 1-1.

3 was dominated by the Caps and Murray stole it for the Pens.

4 the Pens had a couple lucky bounces, which happens in hockey of course, like in all sports, you need a little luck to win championships. But pretty even overall, we just again couldn't break through.

No one is beating the crap out of anyone, saying that is just trying to get a rise out of someone. Which is all you ever try to do anyway, so I guess that was your intent.

Eakin's snipe last night though :ooo:

I will agree with you guys that the Penguins and Capitals series has been super even. But, it definitely will be a choke job if the Capitals lose this series. You can't have the best regular season and lose in your conference semifinals and not be considered chokers.

• Upvote 1

https://twitter.com/katiebhockey/status/728598746066526209?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

the TKO line is back :rock:

also, a few interesting notes on the 1-3 hole: two of the last three Stanley Cup champs faced a 1-3 deficit at some point, the two times the Caps have faced a 1-3 series deficit in the Ovechkin era they've played seven games (1-1 in the series) and in the four series since 2011 that the Pens have held a 3-1 lead they're 2-2 (Source)

Edited by oochymp

I will agree with you guys that the Penguins and Capitals series has been super even. But, it definitely will be a choke job if the Capitals lose this series. You can't have the best regular season and lose in your conference semifinals and not be considered chokers.

On that note I don't get why the two best teams from the regular season, (in that conference) play each other in the conference semi-finals.

NFL playoff scheduling > NHL playoff scheduling.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

On that note I don't get why the two best teams from the regular season, (in that conference) play each other in the conference semi-finals.

NFL playoff scheduling > NHL playoff scheduling.

Agreed there. I'm one of those sports fans who insists playoff hockey is the best, but its new bracketing system is a major flaw. Suck a bag of dicks, Bettman.

• Upvote 1

things always get screwy when the top two teams play in the same division, it's just going to happen more often when you only have two divisions per conference

I honestly don't mind it. The thought process is basically that you better be the best team in your division before you move on. It's no different then when the two best football teams are in the same division and one team ends up as the 5 seed.

If anything it makes every round have a lot more intrigue.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Eakin's snipe last night though :ooo:

:yep::notbad:

I honestly don't mind it. The thought process is basically that you better be the best team in your division before you move on. It's no different then when the two best football teams are in the same division and one team ends up as the 5 seed.

If anything it makes every round have a lot more intrigue.

Uh yeah it does. In your scenario those two teams can totally meet in the conference finals. The 5 seed doesn't play the 1 seed in the second round automatically. Only if the 6 seed doesn't advance.

Look, you're going to get things like #6 Seattle @ #1 Carolina in the divisional round even though those were the two best teams in the NFC playoffs this year. It's just going to happen more often if you don't reseed after every round.

Top seed should have to play the lowest seed left, every time. That's part of what they earned with such a great regular season. And the lowest seed should have to play the hardest schedule. That's what they have to go through for barely squeaking in.

Edited by Thanatos

Uh yeah it does. In your scenario those two teams can totally meet in the conference finals. The 5 seed doesn't play the 1 seed in the second round automatically. Only if the 6 seed doesn't advance.

Look, you're going to get things like #6 Seattle @ #1 Carolina in the divisional round even though those were the two best teams in the NFC playoffs this year. It's just going to happen more often if you don't reseed after every round.

Top seed should have to play the lowest seed left, every time. That's part of what they earned with such a great regular season. And the lowest seed should have to play the hardest schedule. That's what they have to go through for barely squeaking in.

But by going to the four division format the NHL is basically playing it almost like four conferences. Should the East and West be mix matched because there's better teams in the West? You're saying top seed should play the lowest seed so why are we not making this league wide? It's not fair!

Just think of it like this being the Metropolitan Division Championship.

Jesus, the Jets have been in the same division as the Patriots for 15 years. Too fucking bad. You have to get better. Same goes for the Capitals. Who cares where you play the Penguins? If you're the better team you'll win regardless of where you play them.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

That logic is insanely stupid, lol.

This isn't about Caps vs Penguins. I've always felt this way, even before I watched hockey at all. Hell one might argue its better for the Pens and Caps Cup hopes to play now rather than after another series so they are less beat up.

This isn't even really about hockey, persay. Its about any playoff format that doesn't use re-seeding. It makes no sense. It simply does not make any logical sense. Instead of having seeds play each other based on end of season standings, it's almost random. Why not throw all the names in a hat instead? It doesn't matter when you play the other team, since if you're better, you'll win, right? So what does it matter what order you have to play them in?

You also keep moving the goalposts. "It's like how the two best teams are in the same division." I proceed to show why that argument is invalid. "Oh well, then its basically like we have four conferences instead of two."

It is illogical to give the Lightning the easiest path through in the second round because the Islanders upset the Panthers. That doesn't mean they will for sure beat the Islanders, but they shouldn't be playing them in the first place.

Not reseeding playoffs in a professional sport after every round is dumb. Period.

Edited by Thanatos

Nah it's fine, it fosters stronger rivalries between the divisional teams, so you have things like the Blues and Blackhawks players wanting to grind each other into the dust every year. I do like how the NFL does it from a mathematical standpoint (same reason why I like Swiss tournaments over Round Robins). Although no matter what, the Lightning or Islanders is gonna have to get through the winner of this series, and the winner of the West to win the stanley cup. No matter how far you get, you're still gonna be tested by the best, by the 20+ game grind of the stanley cup playoffs.

Divisional teams don't need stronger rivalries, though. Matchups like Rangers/Penguins and Flyers/Capitals don't need to happen in the playoffs. If they happen in the ECF, so be it, and that'd be awesome, but the first two rounds should feature intradivisional games, because that's how rivalries like that are built. Rangers/Lightning, Penguins/Islanders, etc.

That logic is insanely stupid, lol.

This isn't about Caps vs Penguins. I've always felt this way, even before I watched hockey at all. Hell one might argue its better for the Pens and Caps Cup hopes to play now rather than after another series so they are less beat up.

This isn't even really about hockey, persay. Its about any playoff format that doesn't use re-seeding. It makes no sense. It simply does not make any logical sense. Instead of having seeds play each other based on end of season standings, it's almost random. Why not throw all the names in a hat instead? It doesn't matter when you play the other team, since if you're better, you'll win, right? So what does it matter what order you have to play them in?

You also keep moving the goalposts. "It's like how the two best teams are in the same division." I proceed to show why that argument is invalid. "Oh well, then its basically like we have four conferences instead of two."

It is illogical to give the Lightning the easiest path through in the second round because the Islanders upset the Panthers. That doesn't mean they will for sure beat the Islanders, but they shouldn't be playing them in the first place.

Not reseeding playoffs in a professional sport after every round is dumb. Period.

So why not reseed based off what happens in the other conference to make sure we get the two best teams in a sport instead of a weak Eastern team vs. a strong Western team or whatever?

So why not reseed based off what happens in the other conference to make sure we get the two best teams in a sport instead of a weak Eastern team vs. a strong Western team or whatever?

Before I answer, I need to clarify what you're asking.

Are you saying reseed both conferences, but keep them in each conference, just in an effort to get the two best teams in the Finals?

Or are you saying all sixteen teams should be in the same playoff pool, and not split by conference?

Before I answer, I need to clarify what you're asking.

Are you saying reseed both conferences, but keep them in each conference, just in an effort to get the two best teams in the Finals?

Or are you saying all sixteen teams should be in the same playoff pool, and not split by conference?

The latter. If we're going to base it on better teams etc. why would we not make it fair league wide as my point (like how the NFC is clearly superior to the AFC right now).

Wow, way to ignore the current super bowl champion Denver Broncos.

That save by Holtby on Schultz I think it was :ooo:

The latter. If we're going to base it on better teams etc. why would we not make it fair league wide as my point (like how the NFC is clearly superior to the AFC right now).

Because of scheduling.

At least in football, not sure if hockey works the same way. I'm assuming it does. AFC teams play a lot more AFC teams than they do NFC teams, (12 vs 4).

It would be less fair, most of the time, to have them be placed in the same pool because they don't have as much opportunity to directly influence the NFC playoff picture as they do the AFC one. It's the same reason why division winners should get into the playoffs, (just not a home game, necessarily, IMO).

Because of scheduling.

At least in football, not sure if hockey works the same way. I'm assuming it does. AFC teams play a lot more AFC teams than they do NFC teams, (12 vs 4).

It would be less fair, most of the time, to have them be placed in the same pool because they don't have as much opportunity to directly influence the NFC playoff picture as they do the AFC one. It's the same reason why division winners should get into the playoffs, (just not a home game, necessarily, IMO).

In the NHL you play the team from the other conference 2 times, the team from the other division in your conference 3 times, and the teams within your division 4 or 5 times. So there isn't much difference between playing teams in the other conference and other division.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

So 28 or 32 games versus the other conference and 54 or 50 games versus your own isn't a big difference? That's a big difference lol.

Also one conference having 14 and the other having 16 is silly. Also lopsided since you only have to be one of the 8 best out of 14 in one conference and one of the 8 best out of 16 in the other.