Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Seahawks WR Ricardo Lockette Retires

When Seattle Seahawks receiver Ricardo Lockette fell to the turf in Dallas and didn't move last season, and when he stayed down for a long time after, you knew he had just suffered a very serious injury.

As it turns out, the hit ended Lockette's career.

Lockette, who will turn 30 on May 21, will announce his retirement on Wednesday, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said. It's a tough blow for Lockette, who worked himself onto the Seahawks roster as an undrafted free agent, only to have his career end on one of the most devastating hits in recent NFL history.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/terrible-neck-injury-forces-seahawks-wr-ricardo-lockette-to-retire-231456125.html

Edited by Favre4Ever

Heath must feel like shit.

:(

Very underrated receiver. He had just started to get the majority out of the outside snaps prior to hid injury.

I agree he was underrated but I don't feel like he was a significant part of this offense at any time in his career. Was happy to see him make some plays and take advantage of the lack of respect he got from defenses. But with all the weapons we have including the rookie RB Prosise who just might get used in the passing game a bunch as he is a former WR, I think it's safe to say Riccardo was viewed as one of the more expendable offensive players on the team and wouldn't have seen the field much outside of preseason play. Probably could have started somewhere else like LA or something, but after the scariest 5 minutes ever with him down motionless, happy to see him walk away in one piece, with a :trophy: to boot.

Eh. I think his size and speed won him snaps on the outside, and I bet he'd have kept them. He'd shown he could be a deep threat. Lockette and Lockett. Quite a pairing.

I'm glad he's making a choice for himself but I admit I selfishly was hoping he'd make a comeback. I'm sure Jeff Heath is all but inconsolable right now.

Man. This is awful. The guy had a lot of potential..just getting started in the NFL.

Never forget that Dallas fans booed this man when this happened..

• Upvote 1

From what I understand, he can longer rotate his head. There are ligaments or tendons in the neck that he doesn't have anymore. Had he tried to stand up, or had a teammate tried to get him up by simply pulling on his arm the wrong way, he could have died.

Damn. I knew it was serious, but holy freaking shit.

And another player gets to live with having caused that.

he seems to be moving his head around well enough in the video here: Ricardo Lockette gives heartfelt retirement speech - NFL.com but there may be certain movements he can't do and contact sports are probably a bad idea, you never like to see a player forced into retirement by injury regardless of the other circumstances