Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Lions @ Packers

STATS LLC Associated Press

Sep 21, 2016

For years, there were two major story lines every time the Detroit Lions visited the Green Bay Packers. One, could the Lions control Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers? And, two, would the Lions ever win a game at Lambeau Field?

Both of those questions are off the board as these NFC North rivals get ready for their Week 3 matchup. Rodgers' struggles from last season have continued into this season. One of his poor performances from last year came when Detroit snapped its 24-game losing streak in games played in Wisconsin by beating the Packers 18-16 in Week 10.

Based on this year's performances, the quarterbacking edge belongs to Detroit with Matthew Stafford. Through two weeks, Stafford has thrown for 600 yards, completed 67.1 percent of his passes and ranks ninth with a passer rating of 101.3. Compare that to Rodgers, who has thrown for 412 yards, completed 57.1 percent of his passes and ranks 22nd with a passer rating of 82.5.

Rodgers knows he must play better as the Packers begin a rare four-game home stand.

"As a leader, you have to take the blame when it's necessary and even sometimes when it's not your fault," Rodgers said. "I think it's important to let those guys know that you're going to stick your body on the line but also you're going to stand up for them when you need to in the locker room, the meeting room and the media and take your responsibility for the way you played.

"I didn't play as well as I wanted to last week and I turned the ball over twice, and I can't do that if we're going to win the game. So I've got to play better and I've got to play more efficiently on offense."

Lions coach Jim Caldwell isn't buying the talk that Rodgers' play has slipped.

"Greatness," Caldwell says, is what he sees when he watches the tape.

Rodgers, however, hasn't been great. The NFL's career leader in passer rating hasn't even reached 100 in 14 consecutive games. With the game on the line at Minnesota last week, Rodgers fumbled with the Packers in field-goal range on their next-to-last possession and was intercepted on their final chance.

Green Bay will attack a Detroit defense that has allowed 5.1 yards per carry and an opponent passer rating of 112.7. The linebacker corps has been gutted, with injuries to DeAndre Levy (quad) and Kyle Van Noy (calf) leaving only Tahir Whitehead among the starting trio from last week vs. Tennessee. The Lions have a star cornerback in Darius Slay, who Rodgers avoided in last year's game in Green Bay, and an excellent safety in Glover Quin.

Change has been the constant for Detroit's offense. Calvin Johnson, still one of the premier receivers in the NFL, retired in the offseason and the Lions filled the void by signing Marvin Jones and veteran Anquan Boldin. Combined with Golden Tate, who has back-to-back seasons of 90-plus catches, the Lions have a talented three-receiver package.

Jones has 12 catches and ranks seventh in the NFL with 203 yards, Tate has nine catches for 54 yards and Boldin has seven catches for 83 yards and one touchdown. They represent three of the Lions' five players with at least seven receptions.

"I think anytime you lose a talent like (Johnson), it's tough," Stafford said. "But our guys have done a really nice job and the ball is being spread around. We've got a lot of guys with a bunch of catches already this year. Hopefully, we'll continue to do that and spread the ball around and make it tough on defenses."

The changes go beyond the passing game. Detroit placed leading rusher Ameer Abdullah (foot) on injured reserve on Wednesday. Theo Riddick, who led all NFL running backs with 80 receptions last season while carrying only 43 times, and rookie Dwayne Washington will take over the ball-carrying chores. They'll be running into the teeth of a Green Bay defense that ranks No. 1 in the NFL by a considerable margin in rushing yards allowed per game (39) and per carry (1.6).

That unit, however, suffered a blow at Minnesota when defensive tackle Letroy Guion exited with a sprained MCL. The Packers already were short on veteran talent on their defensive line. They'll head into Sunday with standout veteran Mike Daniels, first-round pick Kenny Clark, hybrid outside linebacker/defensive end Datone Jones, fourth-round pick Dean Lowry and first-year player Christian Ringo.

"It's always a big loss to lose one of your starters, especially somebody who's as effective as Letroy," Daniels said after the Packers held Minnesota to just 30 yards on 22 carries. "But the young guys, they're pulling their weight and they're doing a heck of a job. We just have to continue to push them to get better."

Game of the week.

Becoming nervous about this game. Matthews and Burnett have been declared out for injuries I didn't even know they had. Thats 2 defensive leaders gone right there. While seeing Rodgers and WRs struggle against the likes of Waynes and Newman, not sure how we are going to do against a great CB like Slay.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Shields is still out too... Guion is questionable which means more Kenny Clark... ugh. This could be a long day if the offense continues to struggle.

If the Packers are smart and run the ball down the Lion's throat, they'll be fine.

:Packers: 19

:Lions: 24

Packers declared OLB Clay Matthews, CB Sam Shields, S Morgan Burnett, DE Datone Jones, NT Letroy Guion, QB Joe Callahan, and OT Kyle Murphy inactive for Week 3 against the Lions.

The Packers will be without four starters and an important rotational pass rusher on defense against the Lions. With Detroit also missing DE Ziggy Ansah and WLB DeAndre Levy, this game has shootout potential.

Lions declared DE Ziggy Ansah, WLB DeAndre Levy, CB Adairius Barnes, LB Antwione Williams, OL Joe Dahl, OL Cornelius Lucas, and TE Orson Charles inactive for Week 3 against the Packers.

Kyle Van Noy (calf) will play, but the Lions are dangerously thin along the front seven. With the Packers also without five important defenders, this game has shootout potential.

JD is almost as good at reverse jinxing as Razor.

We were up 31-3 at one point in the game. This game just continues to show that McCarthy is becoming a problem. How does one throw for 4 TDs in one half and then has nothing going on in the 2nd? Or when we need to move the ball and finish the game, a fucking toss play called on 1st and then another run on 2nd. Leaving it all on Rodgers' shoulders, thankfully the o-line did a great job blocking and Rodgers was able to run for the 1st. Still, this should have been a blowout but McCarthy went into his pathetic conservative playcalling for the entire 2nd half.

We were up 31-3 at one point in the game. This game just continues to show that McCarthy is becoming a problem. How does one throw for 4 TDs in one half and then has nothing going on in the 2nd? Or when we need to move the ball and finish the game, a fucking toss play called on 1st and then another run on 2nd. Leaving it all on Rodgers' shoulders, thankfully the o-line did a great job blocking and Rodgers was able to run for the 1st. Still, this should have been a blowout but McCarthy went into his pathetic conservative playcalling for the entire 2nd half.

Isn't it possible that the opposing team, who normally has a pretty solid defense and a great secondary, woke up and made adjustments?

People forget that football is an odd, frustrating sport. These things happen from time to time.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Isn't it possible that the opposing team, who normally has a pretty solid defense and a great secondary, woke up and made adjustments?

People forget that football is an odd, frustrating sport. These things happen from time to time.

Did you watch the game? Probably not, cause if you did you would see a prevent zone D being used. Along with hardly any pass plays even though Rodgers moved the ball right down Detroits throats in the 1st. And you would have seen McCarthy's favorite plays being used, toss/sweeps to Lacy.

Ya, Mike always does that when we go up big. Get conservative, go away from what works and try to do things unnaturally. The first half was great though and I am just glad the defense held on long enough. We just need help back there.. Almost the entire defense is made up of 1st and 2nd year players... The secondary in it's entirety had one player with more than 3 years experience. We had Julius Peppers practically playing DT and push inside next to Mike Daniels at times... It definitely wasn't pretty but it has me optimistic for the next few weeks.

Even with the injuries and even though we may give up a 200 yard receiver every week, I am proud of the defense and their commitment against the run... And we dropped THREE clear and easy INT. Our DBs have brick hands... If we come up with even one of those, this is a very different game. It wasn't entirely the defenses fault they collapsed anyway. The offense needs to sustain drives (i.e. do exactly what they did in the first half) to help them out a little.

Also... the offense stalled when we threw Starks in there. I don't want to shit on him, because I appreciate the time he's put in and he's a great guy but his role should continue to diminish at least until further notice.

Edited by Favre4Ever

14432939_10154433116671425_8839371645261

Dumpster fire

Can you blame the Lions for not thinking of Justin Perillo as a threat? :D