BwareDWare94

Official Fire Pat Shurmur Thread

I understand that the Vikings can't switch OCs twice in one season but if Pat Shurmur is retained this offseason I might go on a fucking rampage. Incompetence is rewarded way too often in NFL circles.

I mean, normally I'd make the excuse that their offensive line is torn up with injuries but when has Pat Shurmur ever really been successful as anything other than an Andy Reid underling? lol

His offense is a worse version of Andy Reid's... It's like going to the store and seeing two similar products but one is the better name brand product and the other is the cheap knock off brand. You get the knock off brand because t's cheaper and you think to yourself "it can't be that different", then you get home and curse under your breath.

I don't really get why you are raging so hard after that game. The offensive strategy made sense. Unfortunate that Bradford threw the game away at the end.

I don't really get why you are raging so hard after that game. The offensive strategy made sense. Unfortunate that Bradford threw the game away at the end.

Not really.. Why should any team go into a game verse the Lions wanting to keep it close? Just to tempt fate?

• Upvote 1

Not really.. Why should any team go into a game verse the Lions wanting to keep it close? Just to tempt fate?

Yeah, because the Vikings have the offensive talent to run up the score at the moment.

:think:

I mean... I'm always for firing coaches who underperform but...

The Vikings have too many problems on offense and it isn't really fair to blame it on Shurmur. Offensive line can't pass block, although it was a better against Detroit, and the their running game is historically bad (not a hyperbole). Sam Bradford has also made key mistakes down the stretch in multiple games now.

The offense as a whole is a mess, and IDK if Shurmur being OC makes a difference right now.

I mean... I'm always for firing coaches who underperform but...

The Vikings have too many problems on offense and it isn't really fair to blame it on Shurmur. Offensive line can't pass block, although it was a better against Detroit, and the their running game is historically bad (not a hyperbole). Sam Bradford has also made key mistakes down the stretch in multiple games now.

The offense as a whole is a mess, and IDK if Shurmur being OC makes a difference right now.

Does he help at all? Does he mitigate ANY of the cluster fuck that is the Vikings offense? What does he bring to the table?

Maybe he's a part of the clustefuck, but if the issues exsisted before he took over and have been the same since since he took over, I'm not quiet sure how he ends being the one signled out...

Maybe he's a part of the clustefuck, but if the issues exsisted before he took over and have been the same since since he took over, I'm not quiet sure how he ends being the one signled out...

Norv Turner left because the Vikings had a different vision of the offense than he did (I know they didn't ask him to leave, but these differences causes him to make the decision he did).

The vision the Vikings had for Bradford was death by a thousand paper cuts? I'd say Shurmur is very much part of that vision because of his previous time working with Bradford. It's like the "backup QB is the most popular guy on the team" but with coaches.

Vikings have learned that the grass isn't always greener.

Does he help at all? Does he mitigate ANY of the cluster fuck that is the Vikings offense? What does he bring to the table?

What can he do? The offensive line is shit. The runningbacks are mediocre. And the WR core is shit too especially w/o Diggs. All of this with a semi-decent, but injury prone QB. You guys want them to throw down the field with that situation? Against a solid Lions defensive line? :think:

Norv doesn't adjust to his personnel. The Vikings offense would be worse with him right now because the offensive line would not hold up and Bradford would either be murdered or forced into making mistakes or both.

What can he do? The offensive line is shit. The runningbacks are mediocre. And the WR core is shit too especially w/o Diggs. All of this with a semi-decent, but injury prone QB. You guys want them to throw down the field with that situation? Against a solid Lions defensive line? :think:

Norv doesn't adjust to his personnel. The Vikings offense would be worse with him right now because the offensive line would not hold up and Bradford would either be murdered or forced into making mistakes or both.

Isn't it his job to figure that out?

Isn't it his job to figure that out?

The entire point of my post is that there is only so much he can do.

First of all, the OL is the reason there is no running game. Jerick McKinnon is really really good. He gets hit before the LOS almost every time he runs the ball. When he gains yardage, he generally has to pull a crazy juke on an untouched defender before he even gets to positive yardage. When there are holes (it's rare), he maximizes them. This offensive line is historically bad. There's no question. At least it's mostly the result of one injury after another. If they were healthy they'd probably be 10 spots higher in the rankings. I think people are realizing how good Matt Kalil actually is. He has never performed like his rookie season but he's never been as bad as people thought, either.

I'm mad about Thursday's game because the Vikings did not take any deep shots. Not one. Bradford had a fairly clean pocket all game. The OL actually did a great job in pass protection. Shurmur is honestly one of the most gutless OCs I have ever seen. Bradford has the arm for deep passes. Let him fucking use it. I will never understand why the Vikings don't give Patterson at least one go route attempt a game.

Vikings offense = :sleep:

First of all, the OL is the reason there is no running game. Jerick McKinnon is really really good. He gets hit before the LOS almost every time he runs the ball. When he gains yardage, he generally has to pull a crazy juke on an untouched defender before he even gets to positive yardage. When there are holes (it's rare), he maximizes them. This offensive line is historically bad. There's no question. At least it's mostly the result of one injury after another. If they were healthy they'd probably be 10 spots higher in the rankings. I think people are realizing how good Matt Kalil actually is. He has never performed like his rookie season but he's never been as bad as people thought, either.

I'm mad about Thursday's game because the Vikings did not take any deep shots. Not one. Bradford had a fairly clean pocket all game. The OL actually did a great job in pass protection. Shurmur is honestly one of the most gutless OCs I have ever seen. Bradford has the arm for deep passes. Let him fucking use it. I will never understand why the Vikings don't give Patterson at least one go route attempt a game.

Another reason why I question what firing Shurmur would actually do.

Go back to the Sam Bradford thread you made in the beginning of the season, and this was discussed. Historically speaking, Bradford, regardless of coaching, personnel, etc, has always opted for shorter passes. He's 29 now and has been in the league for how many years? It's not going to magically change all the sudden. Even on t3rd downs Bradford always throws short of the amount of yards needed.

Maybe Shurmur is the problem and he's the one calling all these short passing concepts... But I doubt it would make a difference realistically.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Another reason why I question what firing Shurmur would actually do.

Go back to the Sam Bradford thread you made in the beginning of the season, and this was discussed. Historically speaking, Bradford, regardless of coaching, personnel, etc, has always opted for shorter passes. He's 29 now and has been in the league for how many years? It's not going to magically change all the sudden. Even on t3rd downs Bradford always throws short of the amount of yards needed.

Maybe Shurmur is the problem and he's the one calling all these short passing concepts... But I doubt it would make a difference realistically.

That is who he is, but the number of those passes the Vikings had against Detroit make me think that it was also part of the gameplan. 70% of the Vikings third down attempts were behind throws completed or incompleted behind the sticks.

I will take a quote from an ESPN article I read the other day:

Bradford has become a further-realized version of himself. He has looked into the mirror, liked what he saw, and doubled down on Sam Bradfordness. He's throwing shorter passes than ever before

So, while he is doing what he always has, it's to an even larger extreme than before. I think that is partly to do with the coaches and part of the reason Norv decided to leave. Only three of his 33 targeted passes went beyond 10 yards, which is insane -- even for Sam Bradford.

Shurmur may not be the problem, but he isn't fixing it or even trying to. He's like the friend of an addict who is nothing but an enabler.

Edited by Favre4Ever

The only thing worse than Death by a Thousand Paper Cuts offense is Derp derp derp hand the ball to AP twice and then throw a pass behind the line to gain and hope it works offense.

Another week, another struggle to score ten freaking points with Shurmur's shitty playcalling. Now I am starting to think we should change OCs twice in one season...

You're like a parrot that only repeats silly things.

Yeah I'm kind of with DMac. Firing Shurmur is going to have to happen in the offseason, but realistically when you're starting QB is Sam Bradford and you have as many offensive line injuries as the Vikings do your offense isn't going anywhere no matter who the coordinator is, especially when he's coming to the team midseason and it's pretty doubtful that any positional coach on the staff with no play calling experience will make a difference either. I guess maybe I could see the logic of giving somebody a shot over a proven failure. I just think that going through two offensive coordinators in one season is a recipe for disaster. Consistency is so important for a team that wants to make a playoff push.