Who comes out on top? NFC East edition

BANANAS  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC East?

• Washington Redskins
    • Philadelphia Eagles
    • New York Giants
    • Dallas Cowboys

Figured someone else would get to the NFC before me... ah well.

Anyway, the East always tends to be surprising, the emergence of Dak and Zeke behind an elite offensive line probably gives the cowboys an edge, but there is such a thing as a second year slump, and if anyone has the gameplan to beat the Boys, it's the New York Giants and their super expensive defense. Rounding out the bunch, you've got probably the best QB in the division in Kirk Cousins, but the Redskins are a dumpster fire under Bruce Allen so I honestly don't expect much, and the Eagles picked up a lot of nice pieces for Carson Wentz, but I still think they're a year or two away from winning this division.

So my pick, beyond all reason is the Giants. They just got to protect Eli from dying immediately after the snap and they'll do fine.

Dallas :coffee:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No team has won the NFCE two years running since the Eagles appeared in the Super Bowl against the Pats. Dallas has a dominant offense that dictates the pace of the game and that is extremely hard to stop. However defensively their pass rush sucked last year and the only thing they did to improve it was to draft a DE in the first that will be playing woefully out of scheme. Dallas did have pretty good CB play last year but they lost BOTH starters and replaced them with Nolan Carroll, yikes. What does shitty CB play and no pass rush equal in the NFL in 2017? lol Nothing good that's for sure.

The Giants have a lot of weapons but a horrible offensive line, an aging QB on the downside of his career and no running game. This team failed to score 30 points even one time last year. I don't see old ass Brandon Marshall and a rookie TE who can't block changing that. They do however have one of the best defenses in the league with everyone returning except Hankins who is quite frankly very replaceable.

Honestly the Redskins look younger on offense, they got a decent power RB in the draft. They got better in their front seven by picking up a couple pass rushers. They might end up improving their secondary. Nobody is giving them a shot but they're a way more balanced team than either the Giants or the Cowboys.

Then you have the Eagles. Offensively the Eagles were pretty damn bad last year. Carson Wentz struggled most of the season and the Eagles RB's and WR's were pretty bad, in fact they were by far the worst in the league. They went out in free agency though and brought in two veteran WR's and a good goal line/short yardage RB. They already had the 2nd best line in the division, maybe in the NFL and they only added depth to it. They're not going to be one of the best offenses in the league but they won 7 games last year so they might not have to be because while they won't be elite they will be a hell of a lot better. Defensively the Eagles CB isn't good but they have a better pass rush than Dallas and an excellent safety duo. Jim Schartz's defense is not without it's weaknesses but even with bad CB play they looked dominant at times last year and I honestly think they'll be better.

All that being said I think this division is much hard to call than most people think. I'm gonna say fuck it though and pick the Eagles because I'm a homer.

• Upvote 1

I don't disagree with anything Sean said, that's a great breakdown of the division. That said, I have trouble seeing anyone take this from Dallas, someone probably will because weird shit happens in the NFL, but I have no idea who that'll be. Dallas still has one of the best olines in the game and a fantastic RB behind it, that allows them to dictate play on offense and keep their sub-par defense off the field.

Than is just basically a much more intelligent version of BC lol. If he doesn't like you expect a lot of negs because he's a clown. lol

• Upvote 1

I see this as a 3-team race. I soooo wanna go with the upset and take the Redskins, but my more logical side says NYG. So I'll take New Yawk. This thing is gonna be a war though... but Philly will occupy the basement again.

As much as I'd like to see anybody but Dallas win, I just can't see the Giants with a better record after 16 games. Both Giants/Cowboys games will close (they always are, it seems), but I keep thinking about something Sean pointed out:

The Giants have a lot of weapons but a horrible offensive line, an aging QB on the downside of his career and no running game.

To me, this is a huge problem. You go into the season without a true #1 receiver or a thin linebacking corps or no depth on the D-line, and you can probably survive. But you have issues on the O-line with a non-mobile QB, and you're cooked. I'm not saying New York is gonna suck (I'd put them around 9-7), but I might actually give Washington a better chance to win the East than them.

Ultimately, though, the main reason I'm picking Dallas to win is they're still super talented, Zeke and Dak will be a year more experienced, etc.

Edited by SteVo

I mean, Dak and Zeke and that oline are great but they also should have the worst defense in the division on paper anyway. The Saints have a potent offense year in and year out. Near the top of the league in total offense and scoring but the get clowned because their defense sucks.

That's a fair point, but the Saints in the Payton/Brees era have never really had a running game, which limits the ability to control the clock and makes the weak defense harder to hide. That's where I think Dallas can use their offense to grind games out and limit the exposure of their defense.

Yeah I think your right being able to control the clock helps but sometimes the opposing team can get early possession on you and negate that a little bit, but I do agree that they're a better structured team because they're a tough team to stop from moving the chains. Even if you manage to keep Zeke down for a couple series and put yourself into position to force some crucial punts guys like Beasley, Witten and now Switzer make it so to stop them from picking up 3 or 4 yards and when you factor in Dak's scrambling...damn. but shit happens, penalties incomplete passes. If you're not scoring 7 points on every drive you could be behind the 8 ball quick. They don't have the luxury of having games where they come out a little flat in the first half. That happens to even for the best offenses in the league and when that happens you need to have a defense that can make stops. Playoff teams do. Division champion teams do.