RazorStar

Razor's Top 100 Players of 2016

Polls  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What position do you think will be number 1?

• Quarterback
    • Runningback
    • Wide Receiver
    • Tight End
    • Offensive Line
    • Edge Defender (3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE)
    • Interior Defensive Lineman (3-4 DL, 4-3 DT)
    • Linebacker (4-3 OLB, MLB, 3-4 ILB)
    • Cornerback
    • Safety
  2. 2. Do you want to make your own top 100 list?

• Yes, I am a masochist
    • No, I have things to do.
  3. 3. What choice do you think most people will pick?

• The Fifth Choice
    • The First Choice
    • The Fourth Choice
    • The Second Choice
    • The Third Choice

Things came down, alright let's get this cranked out.

60. LeSean McCoy, RB, :Bills:

Ever since he’s entered the league, Shady has been a dynamic playmaker, but his 8th season may have been his best yet. Playing behind a strong run blocking line like the Bills have, and having a mobile QB like Tyrod Taylor makes opportunities present themselves, and LeSean is just a kid in a candy store. He hit his highest yard per carry total in his career last year, caught 50 balls, and had 14 touchdowns on the season. Buffalo may just be where Shady belongs.

59. Andrew Whitworth, LT, :Rams: (:Bengals: last year)

Another oldie, but another goodie, Whitworth has just been consistent and precise as a Left Tackle for over a decade now. Moving to Los Angeles represents a big positive for the Rams, since their offensive line was hot garbage, and their ‘franchise’ QB and franchise RB nearly died because of it. He may not have many years left, but he hasn’t shown signs of slowing down yet.

58. Matt Paradis, C, :Broncos:

It feels kind of weird to have a Broncos offensive lineman on here, considering just how bad we were blocking, but Paradis did his job to the letter. It’s just that when your tackles are sieves, it really doesn’t matter that the Nose Tackle is occupied. Hopefully he continues to develop his game, and teach our rookies how to block, otherwise it’s just gonna be another Donald Stephenson sort of season at Mile High.

57. Malcolm Butler, CB, :Pats:

The hero of Super Bowl 49 continues to get better and better and his career moves on. Thrust into a starting role in 2015, he has not looked back, and continues to harass number 1 receivers in this league. The Patriots were gunshy about resigning him, so once his first round tender runs out and he’s back on the free agent market, he’s gonna suck because that’s how Belichick defenders work, but for the right now, he’s a reliable top notch cornerback in this league. Those are a hard one to find.

56. Devin McCourty, S, :Pats:

Speaking about hard players to find, how about cornerbacks that convert to safety flawlessly? Because that’s what McCourty does, and he keep the patriots secondary scary no matter who rotates in at corner. Unlike other players who have great volume stats because they’re targeted frequently, teams avoid McCourty like the plague. His presence opens up the door for other players in that secondary to shine, and that’s the big reason I have him ahead of his contemporary, Malcolm Butler. The Pats are a hard defense to get points on, and McCourty is consistent as their last line of defense.

• Upvote 1

And we are halfway there!

55. Michael Bennett, DE, :Seahawks:

Michael Bennett may just be the most annoying player in football right now. If not, he’s gotta be close. The only thing bigger than his mouth is his game. After finding some success in Tampa, Seattle scooped him up and he found a home in the pacific northwest. He ended up missing 5 games due to injury, but I still thought he was disruptive enough in his time played to be worthy of consideration. He’s not just a sack artist like some 4-3 defensive ends are, he helps immensely in the run game as well, and that sort of varied talent means you have no reason to take him off the field.

54. Luke Kuechly, MLB, :panthers:

Keep in mind, he’s only this low because he played a total of ten games this year, before concussions ruined his season. When he’s on his game, he’s the best linebacker in the league. You can make argument for other guys, but you probably shouldn’t. Kuechly is everywhere on the field, amazing in coverage and in stopping the run, he’s everything you could ever want in a middle linebacker. So Carolina is praying that they don’t Dan Morgan him, because his injury last year was horrifying.

53. Taylor Lewan, LT, :Titans:

I really enjoy watching this guy play. He packs so much anger and power into his frame, he’s exactly the kind of LT every team wants. He doesn’t get caught out of position often, and he’s pretty freaking intimidating the way he plays. Teams could not get easy sacks on Mariota, and Lewan was the reason why. As his game continues to improve you could see him keep climbing up this list, because he’s already starting to make his case for being the best LT in the game today. (I still have more LT’s ahead of him, don’t worry.)

52. Mike Daniels, DE, :Packers:

Speaking of mean boys, Mike Daniels is a mean boy. He gets up in the grill of the poor offensive linemen in the NFC North and he goes to work. He’s not a sack artist like some guys are, but he demands double teams, pushes guards arounds, and will always let you know he’s coming for your booty.

51. Darius Slay, CB, :Lions:

Big Play Slay had to make an appearance some time, why not now? He is constantly in the grill of the league's best receivers, getting his hands on hard to catch balls, swatting ducks left and right. So many times the receiver thinks they have the catch in their hands and BOOM Slay is there to take it away. Dude is a beast, I love the way he plays the game.

Players Remaining:

QB: 7

RB: 3

WR: 6

TE: 2

OL: 10

Edge Defenders: 5

Interior DL: 6

Linebackers: 2

Corners: 4

Safeties: 5

Let's see some predictions for who makes it to the very top. >_>

Brady will be number 1, Von Miller or maybe Aaron Donald 2

50. Damon Harrison, NT, :Giants:

So yeah, I’m not cherry and I actually know Damon Harrison is snacks. He was great for the Jets as a 3-4 NT, and his role is much the same for the Giants. Take up space, and be fat as possible so the running back can’t slip through you. And nothing gets by Damon Harrison, not even wunderkind Ezekiel Elliott. His game is a bit limited as he’s only a great run stuffer, but sometimes that’s just all you need.

49. Matt Stafford, QB, :Lions:

I didn’t think I’d have Matt Stafford so high but… well here we are. The man has been steadily improving his game every single year, and while I think we’re seeing the peak of what he can accomplish, I think with the right supporting cast around him he might finally break over the hump and win a playoff game in his career. This is his 6th straight season of starting all 16 games, surpassing 4000 yards, and it’s his very first season of throwing 10 or less INT’s after playing the whole year. Hopefully the additions of Ricky Wagner and T.J. Lang improve his much maligned offensive line. Although I hear they might consider having Greg Robinson start at left tackle. Oof.

48. Kelechi Osemele, LG, :Raiders:

And the highest rated Raiders offensive lineman has arrived. Kelechi gave the Raiders even more rudeness, attitude and physicality. He’s the kind of mean spirited brute you want in the trenches, but he’s got the quick feet to be position versatile if the situation requires it. The Raiders spent a fortune on him, but he responded with his best season ever. Man that offense is scary.

47. Greg Olsen, TE, :panthers:

I still can’t believe the Bears traded him away for a mere third round pick. Maybe they didn’t know how to maximize his talents, but he has shone like a star in Carolina. Becoming Cam Newton’s most trusted target has worked wonders for him, as he’s eclipsed 1000 receiving yards in his last three seasons in Carolina. While Gronkowski is more dynamic in his limited offerings, Olsen just steadily produces game in and game out. In fact, he’s the only tight end in history to have three straight 1000 yard seasons. God damn.

46. Kirk Cousins, QB, :Redskins:

Kirk Cousins is an elite QB. What, you want me to elaborate? Fuck you, Kirk Cousins is a beast. Give that man some respect, Washington. You’ll never have another QB like him in twenty years, I guarantee it.

I'll make a semi-bold prediction and say Aaron Donald is #1.

Not sure I am there with you on Cpt. Kirk being elite just yet. He has shown to be very hot/cold.

And still, no real standout wins on his resume in my opinion.

Edited by BJORN

I'll make a semi-bold prediction and say Aaron Donald is #1.

With 7 QB's on the list already? Not likely.

RZ has a point.

Kirk Cousins is the best that Washington has done at QB in a long long time... and with the way that team is ran... I'm amazed they haven't shelled out big money to Cousins...

If they don't... they return to nothingness.

Mediocrity...nothingness...what's the difference? The best Cousins has done is lead the skins to a division title with a 9-7 record. I can't call that elite. His defense isn't great but they're not bad. I'd take what the Skins have had on offense the last couple seasons over a bunch of playoff teams.

45. Jadeveon Clowney, OLB, :Texans:

Welcome to the NFL, Clowney. This is about what the Texans wanted from the man, but he had been fighting injuries his first two seasons, so he wasn’t able to get his career off to the same start as his contemporary Khalil Mack (who is higher on the list). Dude is a ridiculous athlete, and it seems like learning with Romeo Crennel and JJ Watt has done wonders for his game. The numbers may not look impressive, but he’s going to catch those up in time. The Texans defense is stacked, and Clowney is hungry.

44. Richard Sherman, CB, :Seahawks:

Did you know that his middle name is Kevin? God, what a terrible middle name. That’s what Richard Sherman is about. We all know what Dick Kevin Sherman is about. Still pretty good.

43. Harrison Smith, S, :Vikings:

Smith is a real leader in the Vikings secondary, and when he suffered a high ankle sprain near the end of the season the Vikings suffered for it, they didn’t have the last push to potentially make the postseason (although I’ll contest Sam Bradford will never be good enough to take a team that far regardless of how well the defense plays). He’s got everything you want in a safety, speed, intelligence, coverage ability, and the ability to knock a dude out. Hope he spends 2017 healthy, because the Vikings need what he has.

42. Doug Baldwin, WR, :Seahawks:

Doug Baldwin has been quietly working his way up the receiver tier, and to see a guy go from undrafted to superstar is always great to see. He just fits the Seahawks offensive mentality so well, and works perfectly with Wilson’s improv game, constantly moving to find an open seam, positioning himself to get YAC, and being a young QB’s favourite target going deep.

41. Trent Williams, LT, :Redskins:

I have a lot of offensive linemen still on this list, and it’s time to start narrowing them down some more. Trent Williams is a nasty dude, physical, pushes every play to the whistle, and does an outstanding job of keeping his elite QB unmolested. He’s definitely in the discussion when it comes to the best LT’s in the game, I just think he had a lot of stiff competition this year, so I have a few guys ahead of him.

Considering that there are 5 positions on the offensive line it makes complete sense to have a lot of them in the top 100 but there really are some awesome olinemen out there right now.

Also glad to see Jordan Hicks and Bobby Wagner will be getting some serious love in your list as I don't think either has been mentioned yet

Edited by seanbrock

Not really hating it but still I'd take quite a few of the defenders previously listed over Doug Baldwin.

Guess what it's time for? More football players that's what!

40. Travis Kelce, TE, :Chiefs:

Oh hey, it’s the last tight end on my list. Shows how much I value the position when Gronk takes half the year off. Anyway, I don’t mean to short sell the reality tv show star, Kelce can ball out like the best of them can, and he does it with Alex Smith aka Captain Checkdown, aka would go to the moon if the mission was to go to Mars. 85 catches, 55 first downs… the touchdown count was a little low, but once again, Alex Smith. I feel like that forgives those shortcomings. Dude is a beast, and his new slampiece is pretty hot too.

39. Travis Frederick, C, :Cowboys:

The first of the three great pillars in Dallas goes down today. A much maligned first round pick, Cowboys fans quickly changed their tunes once they realized he was actually one of the few good players in that draft class. He’s got great mobility and provides excellent leadership for his squad. He’s great in opening holes for the run game, but he’s even better as a pass protector, keeping Dak clean as a whistle all season long. I really like his game as a master technician and I am envious of Dallas’ offensive linemen as a whole.

38. Jordan Howard, RB, :Bears:

So yeah, Jordan Howard. 41 spots ahead of Ezekiel Elliott. No self respecting person in sports media will give Jordan Howard that kind of respect, because they would get crucified by the cowboys fanbase, but Howard was actually just that much better. Zeke plays his game behind three pro bowl offensive linemen and two very solid starters with them. Jordan Howard runs behind Kyle Long, Josh Sitton (stolen from the Packers) and a pile of trash. He’s a great instinctive runner, he finds the smallest of holes and makes them his pathway to glory. I’d like to see him improve his catching game a bit more, but as a pure runner and even as a third down blocker, he’s well on his way to greatness.

37. Alex Mack, C, :Falcons:

Alex Mack finally got to play for a good team and he was this close to getting a super bowl ring. Mack is a beast, and always has been. He was kind of overshadowed in cleveland because Joe Thomas does that to guys, but he was one of the lone good players in cleveland for a long ass time. He opened a lot of holes for the Freeman/Coleman duo, and his leadership helped make Jake Matthews into a much better left tackle for them. A good centre goes a long way for a team, and I think Mack is the best in the game right now.

36. Aqib Talib, CB, :Broncos:

There’s a lot to like about Aqib’s game. He is a ruthless and physical corner who does whatever it takes to make the stops he needs. The things you don’t like about is that he goes above and beyond the scope of the rules to do so sometimes, and is widely regarded as a dirty player. I am not going to deny that reputation, I think pound for pound, he’s probably the dirtiest player in the league (sorry Suh). However that can be overlooked because his coverage skills are just that damn good. He’s the only player I’ve seen who can keep Rob Gronkowski relatively checked and balanced due to his athleticism. He’s great once he gets the ball in his hands, and with the way he plays, you know he’s gonna get a coupla int’s each and every season.

• Upvote 2

If he crashes to earth in a meteoric plummet, he crashes to earth. He's still better than Zeke right now though.

RB is one of those positions you can be good at right away though. You either have it or you don't. So much of that position is just based on instinct and athleticism.

Time for more Cowboys. >_>

35. David DeCastro, RG, :Steelers:

The steelers just sat and waited in the 2012 draft and managed to pick up David DeCastro, and every single team that isn’t the Colts, Panthers, Eagles or Patriots should be kicking themselves for it. This is the best offensive line the Steelers have had in a long time, and DeCastro is a huge reason why. He opens lanes for Le’Veon to power through, he keeps his roly poly quarterback safe and snug in the comfort of the pocket, and he probably juliennes fries as well. He’s a big ugly mauler, which is sure to make the yinzers crying for old school steelers football happy and proud, and he continues the legacy of great offensive linemen who play for the black and gold.

34. Brandon Graham, DE, :Eagles:

Sean, please hype up Brandon Graham so I have one less writeup to do, thanks. What? Fine I’ll do my best. If you look at raw sack numbers, Graham doesn’t strike you as impressive, only 6 sacks last year, big whoop, right? Wrong, dude made a living in the backfield, he was constantly harassing the poor quarterbacks he was up against, and made their lives a living hell. Defensive ends who live in the backfield tend to do pretty well in my mind, that kind of ability is hard to come by.

33. Sean Lee, OLB, :Cowboys:

Hey! I bet you forgot about this guy. Turns out not even a million injuries can slow this man down, and when he plays an entire season, he’s just a flat out beast. He’s scheme versatile, incredible at tackling, and covers the entire field in coverage. He played 15 games in 2016, which is the most from him in a long time. He may not always be on, but when he is, he burns bright.

32. Chris Harris, CB, :Broncos:

If Aqib Talib is the kind of athletic, physical beast you want at corner, Chris Harris is the swift and sneaky mind you want at corner. Dude has amazing awareness, great tackling ability, and this massive chip on his shoulder which causes him to never give up on a play, even if it looks bad. He and Talib are the most feared CB tandem in the league, hands down. There is no other tandem that comes close. Other teams may have a player on the same level, but not two.

31. Tyron Smith, LT, :Cowboys:

The mighty left tackle of the cowboys, and the third in the last ten players. Tyron is an amazing physical specimen, long, rangy, and he locks out team’s best edge rushers with remarkable efficiency. You can put him on an island and no boats will set sail. Once he’s got you in his sights you’re done, you’re out of the play, good luck next snap. The only reason he’s this low is that he missed a few games, and I have two tackles who played in the same stratosphere as him, but played all 16 games.

The Bears interior line was very good so take that for what its worth regarding Jordan Howard.

I actually think Graham should be lower and Tyron Smith should be way higher. Brandon Graham is a monster against the run and he would have better sack numbers if the Eagles CB play wasn't so bad last year. The Eagles lack of another legitimate DE on the other side but for as much pressure as he generate he just doesn't finish sacks well enough. He's an awesome player, don't get me wrong. He's an asset to any team he plays on but this is too high for him. PFF is a nice website but finishing sacks matters. If he can improve that this year maybe next year a ranking this high is justified.

As for Tyron Smith, the guy is the most dominant offensive lineman in football, period. He'd be in my top ten if it was my list and for those of you who don't know I really really fucking hate the Cowboys.

Edited by seanbrock

Howard is better than Elliott

• Upvote 1

There isn't going to be an update on Friday, so I decided to churn it out early instead of trying to do two on saturday.

30. David Bakhtiari, LT, :Packers:

Getting to the next tackle one after the other. I gave Bakhtiari the edge because he is a packer, and apparently the packers are my favourite team in the league. But seriously, this guy just kind of came out of nowhere. He’s been good for the Packers, but this was the first year where he’s been insane. It almost justifies dropping both Sitton and Lang to keep him around. But seriously imagine that Packers line with Sitton still there. *salivates*

29. Gerald McCoy, DT, :Bucs:

Gerald McCoy is better than Ndamukong Suh. Fight me DMac! What you want a writeup for this great penertrator of lines, the defenstrator of quarterbacks, the quarterpounder with cheese of the burger collection that is the Tampa Bay Defense? Nah, I'll just lay it on ya. Gerald McCoy is a Beast with a capital FUCK.

28. Kam Chancellor, S, :Seahawks:

Kam Chancellor is not to be trifled with. Kam Chancellor is a man all the ladies love. Kam Chancellor is… Black Dynamite. I don’t think anyone actually calls him that, but if you get on his bad side, he’s gonna maim you, just like TNfuckingT. He puts the Boom in the legion of boom, and across the strewn bodies he leaves in his wake, the only option is victory.

27. Mike Evans, WR, :Bucs:

Mike Evans is the engine that drives the Bucs offense. Without him, Jimmies Winston would just be a raping, thieving, mediocre QB, and the rest of the players would be equivalent of the Hillary Clinton campaign. Sad. But yeah, memes aside, Mike Evans balls out. Three straight 1000 yard seasons for the young man, his second season with 10+ TD’s, the sky's the limit for this guy. He does have a bit of a hands problem, but he’s gotten better about it each and every season. There are a lot of great receivers in this league, so it’s really impressive the way Evans continues to stand out.

26. Joe Thomas, LT, :Browns:

I didn’t think I’d have so many LT’s close together, but hey here we are. Joe Thomas is the quintessential LT, and it’s a shame he had to spend so many years on the Browns. One of the last remaining players of the 2007 draft class still playing and still playing at a high level. His technique is immaculate, his power unwaning, and his thirst for blood insatiable. Also he gets easily mistaken for a coach by the rookies on the Browns, so he has that going for him. All in all, a great player, and the last LT on my list.

Edited by RazorStar

So we're at the top 25, and here are the remaining positions:

QB: 5

HB: 2

WR: 4

TE: 0

OL: 2

Edge Defenders: 3

Interior Defensive Line: 4

Linebackers: 1

Cornerbacks: 1

Safeties: 3

Since we've got some time before we've got the next update, let's run a little competition. See if you can guess the remaining top 25 and the order. You'll get one point for correctly guessing a player on the list, and two points for guessing the player's placement on the list correctly. I'm not giving out anymore hints than this, so good luck to all of you.

You can't pretend like you don't love the Packers forever. Keep frontin' bro. I see you.