Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Week 5 Reaction

It looks like the NFL has given in to fan pressure and threats from the President:

https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/917533531110297601

According to Mort and Jerry Jones, the policy itself isn't new -- but the punishments and consequences are.

Statement from the NFL today:

“Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us. We also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues. We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players.”

Edited by Olenna4Ever

This is the right decision by the NFL, but they NEED to facilitate activism along with it. From Goodell on down, it's time to treat police brutality with the same kind of attention they've given cancer for many years

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 2

They could stop taking money from the military and just don't have players out for the anthem at all. It's pure fucking propaganda anyway lol

• Upvote 2

Every player should kneel for the anthem. Fuck that man. That's crazy. Everybody can lose picks.

I dont really care if they want to kneel or whatever. But have they reached the pinnacle of success for this kind of demonstration. To me, kneeing isnt helping people, it isnt working towards a solution or resolution.

Its being done to be a talking point. Start a conversation. Which , again, I feel is at its peak. With Trump and the NFL taking action, more people are talking about this attention than ever have or will.

Now is the time to turn that into something tangible . Id like to see every player who knelt or out their first in the air during the anthem to commit their time, energy, money, and other resources to actually getting in these communities

For those players who dont or refuse to do such a thing, its a large waste of a great opportunity.

• Upvote 2

There is some truth to that I think. I'm not really sure where they can go from here but now that the NFL is trying to silence them I think every player should really be obligated to fight for their right of speech. The NFL has the right right to fire or cut people but the players unite they have a lot of power too.

I mean, I dont think youre wrong . But silence is a strong word I think. They want the problem to go away for sure...but I think theyre willing to contribute on a broader level.

If the players and the NFL could come to an agreement where players stop kneeling for the anthem but in turn the NFL puts together programs, donates money, helps victims ... and helps players do the same thing I think thatd be a huge victory.

Most of the people who hate the protests will be content at the same time more is actually being done for real people.

I mean... say the NFL does nothing. Say that players dont become more active and they just keep kneeling. What then? It may be talked about here and there but a lot of people are going to turn the channel or tune them out. The conversation would eventually die , or at least come to a simmer and... thatd just be it. What a huge waste.

As I said.. if these protests are really about just starting the conversation. Mission accomplished. Now take that and doing something more.

I could just be giving the NFL too much credit tho.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I get that I don't totally understand the whole reaction to people kneeling for the anthem. But what the fuck? I have tried to say, "people react to things in their own way", but holy fuck are people unforgiving when someone threatens "muh country". Ngata, before you respond, I'm not talking about you. We had a solid discussion about this in PMs, and in fact it's one of the reasons why I tried to approach this from "I don't understand why people are so pissed, but that's their opinion". I'm talking about a different kind of person.

The same people at my HS who would go on unsolicited rants on FB about how people shouldn't expect the world to cater to them are now bitching because the players aren't acting the way they want them to. It's fucking pathetic. It's even more pathetic when I see this kind of behavior from people who are in their late 40s. Seriously, what the fuck.

I don't mind people disagreeing with the anthem protests, and I don't mind people taking action about not liking it, but holy fuck have I seen some adults really expose how fucking childish they are when people don't agree with them.

Edited by OSUViking

Before I get held responsible for derailing the thread...

The Lions offense has been a mess all season. Stafford is getting murdered, and he probably won't finish the season if something doesn't get fixed.

This offensive line where all this money got invested to has been total trash.

Stafford has always been one of the toughest QBs in the league. I'll never forget that Browns/Lions game that was supposed to be the Toilet Bowl and wound up being the best game of the week. The one where he mangled his shoulder, tried to keep going, told the med staff to get the fuck off of him. Then he was dragged to the sideline, basically, and then the Browns made the mistake of calling a timeout which let Stafford come back in, which he did, with one arm dangling by his side and promptly threw the GW TD.

If Stafford ever had Steve Smith as a WR you'd have to break both their legs to keep them out.

But you are completely right, the Lions O-line sucks ass. We were all over Stafford on Sunday. Man was bleeding and had so much tape on his legs he might have been mistaken for a mummy.