GA_Eagle

What was the last movie you watched?

Gonna watch The Babadook later, probably.

Great film. :yep:

Reminder I have a pretty relaxed rating system.

Lucy: 6.5/10 - I enjoyed it. It was different. Then it got like... too different at the end. Not enough people got their asses kicked.

Birdman: 10/10 - Had no idea what it was about, never heard of it. I loved almost every second. They don't make movies like this very often. Don't really want to say too much, but Michael Keaton is for real.

Lucy

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

They made ScarJo turn on robot acting mode way too soon, and I think it could've benefited being 15-30 minutes longer.

Just....meh. Soundtrack was good though.

John Wick. 8/10

I agree with pretty much everything MHG said. It was pretty much everything I was hoping for. I don't think it's a great performance from Keanu as far as acting goes (his first bit of spoken dialogue is delivered pretty brutally), but the supporting cast is solid and the action scenes are quite entertaining; which, really, is why we watch.

Edited by Vin
  • Upvote 1

Same. I get the feeling that Keanu isn't going to be attached to it, which would make me sad.

I watched Horns today. Jesus Christ, did they butcher the book. Half the cast was incredible, and then the other half was terrible. The bitch they chose to play Merrin couldn't act if her life depended on it. Here's Radcliffe being a boss because that's what he does, and his bitch is just awful.

The Theory of Everything - 3/5

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The deep, impactful, thought-provoking, and intense performance by Felicity Jones is what launches the film into Oscar consideration. Ms. Jones almost single-handedly takes The Theory of Everything and transforms it into something more... Almost.
The Theory of Everything struggles from a singular tone and deference throughout. Try as he might, director James Marsh struggled to break the film from the confines of the tedious and tenuous cocoon of which it finds itself. The emotional ups and downs that are supposed to be felt are cushioned and exponentially less impactful than what they should be.
Some of the cinematography simply didn't mesh well. There were a handful of shots that attempted to make the film or shot feel more aged or faded. Perhaps those in charge felt it gave the shot a more homey or down to earth kind of feel -- maybe not. Regardless of the intent, it didn't work in any fashion.
It's also truly a remarkable how the recurring theme of time continuously rears its ugly head -- but not in the fashion of proving or disproving a theory nor in the form of black holes. Instead, the film unintentionally takes a two hour film and makes it feel like a six hour film. I'd love for Professor Hawking to explain exactly how that that works. I imagine it would go something like... RT (run time) X AT (actual time) / PT (perceived time) = Infinite Space, therefore one can conclude that the universe is endless and bound by no means.

Foxcatcher -- 3.5/5

--------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Carrell takes John du Pont and returns him to the world of the living. An eerie, mortifying, and compelling performance that none should ignore. Mark Ruffalo also puts all of the chips on the table, and the gamble pays off incredibly. It's a performance for both of these actors that will be remembered for years to come.
Foxcatcher carries with it a narrative that is resoundingly ghastly and bizarre. It definitely fulfills its quota on being downright weird -- largely thanks to the talents of Steve Carrell. You are never quite sure what to expect or how to feel, the film keeps you guessing and strapped into an uncanny albeit true story.
Motives are questioned, egos are pumped up and deflated, and delusions are ripped from the conscience of reality. However eerie it may be, Foxcatcher falters in its attempt to find a focus. The film is a bit scattered, and lacks the true driving force it needs to assert itself as film of the year.
The uneasiness and uneven road Foxcatcher travels is both its heralding achievement and the cause of its tragic demise.
Edited by Favre4Ever

13 Assassins. I couldn't finish watching it. The action scenes went by way too quickly and the pace was slow.

Edited by Spartan Havoc

Fury.

Yep, that's a WW2 movie.

• Upvote 1

Boyhood - 5 / 5

Looks like I finally found my movie of the year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

" Art, that is special. What can you bring to it that nobody else can? "
Richard Linklater delivers realism on a scale that cinema rarely explores upon. Linklater and the story he tells through Boyhood truly revels in the magnificent and abhorrent, the remarkable and dire, the simple and the complex.
How does one take nothing beyond the doldrums of every day life and turn it into something more for an audience? Boyhood excels at taking the ordinary and making it extraordinary. Who would have thought that chronicling a normal family for twelve years would reap such reward and promise?
Carrying that story is a remarkable cast that comes together as if they really are the family next door, our family even. Lorelei Linklater offers that tantalizing but loving sibling who doesn't always vocalize her feelings. Ellar Coltrane brings to the table an inquisitive son and sibling that is hungry to find a purpose. Patricia Arquette puts forth maybe the performance of her career as the mom that only wants to do right by herself and her children but seems to make poor decisions over and over. Ethan Hawke is equally as brilliant as the dad who wasn't quite ready to be a dad. His struggle and triumph to connect with his children is heart-warming.
What makes this cast so beyond comprehension is that fact that they make it all feel so real. The bonds they share, the journey they face, and the endless questions and answers. The relationships between mother and ex-husband or father and son or brother and sister, they are all cemented in the sometimes inconvenient truth of life. It all feels so real -- and I imagine working with one another for twelve years has forged many of those bonds to be as true and genuine as they appear on screen.
Linklater, cast, and crew scrounge every crevice of life and the realism behind it. Boyhood stands far taller than simply great cinema... It stands as art -- a window into the frail lives of each and every one us. Life lifts us up and it drags us down only to lift us back up again -- that's the reality Boyhood captures.
And that is what Mr. Linklater brings to cinema and art that nobody else can.
Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Burn After Reading.

That was weird.

I liked it. :yep:

• Upvote 1

Fury.

Yep, that's a WW2 movie.

I just watched Fury last night. I thought it was really good, and Shia surprisingly did a great job acting IMO. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

CitizenFour - 4.5/5
------------------------------------------

CitizenFour provides a focused and often terrorizing perspective of one of the biggest scandals in American history. Prior to the Snowden leaks, there were many that thought something of this magnitude was going on behind the scenes, and after the leaks there are few left who can deny it.
What is most gripping about CitizenFour is the raw and uncensored Snowden actually handing over the infamous documents and explaining the bone-chilling repercussions of each. It's this unique perspective that gives the film the edge it carries.
I wish Laura Poitras would have taken time out from behind the camera and helped be part of the history that she was documenting. Multiple times throughout the film, Snowden refers to a conversation he had with her or a particular reaction she had -- yet she remains invisible, even though she is right there.
It's understandable that some think of the film as biased -- however, the truth doesn't take sides. Poitras takes you through the events of her meetings with Glenn Greenwald and Edward Snowden and let you decide for yourself how to feel. They definitely paint canvas with a brush full of grim despair, but it's a documentary and editing those feelings or emotions would be unjust.
The truth is out there and ignorance is no longer an excuse, no matter how inconvenient that truth may be -- both Edward Snowden and CitizenFour are proof of that.

CitizenFour - 4.5/5

------------------------------------------

CitizenFour provides a focused and often terrorizing perspective of one of the biggest scandals in American history. Prior to the Snowden leaks, there were many that thought something of this magnitude was going on behind the scenes, and after the leaks there are few left who can deny it.
What is most gripping about CitizenFour is the raw and uncensored Snowden actually handing over the infamous documents and explaining the bone-chilling repercussions of each. It's this unique perspective that gives the film the edge it carries.
I wish Laura Poitras would have taken time out from behind the camera and helped be part of the history that she was documenting. Multiple times throughout the film, Snowden refers to a conversation he had with her or a particular reaction she had -- yet she remains invisible, even though she is right there.
It's understandable that some think of the film as biased -- however, the truth doesn't take sides. Poitras takes you through the events of her meetings with Glenn Greenwald and Edward Snowden and let you decide for yourself how to feel. They definitely paint canvas with a brush full of grim despair, but it's a documentary and editing those feelings or emotions would be unjust.
The truth is out there and ignorance is no longer an excuse, no matter how inconvenient that truth may be -- both Edward Snowden and CitizenFour are proof of that.

So that film is basically a documentary about a guy who found out that the government is spying on all of us? Sorry to say this, but I wouldn't need a documentary to tell me that, lol. It should REALLY come as a surprise to no one. As long as you aren't doing anything bad, you have nothing to worry about so I don't get what's so chilling about it.

• Downvote 1

50 Shades of Grey. It was exactly what you expected. The movie itself was bad. Acting wasn't terrible but the dialogue is. The story basically serves to get to the sex which was good for me. Basically a big budget soft core movie.

• Upvote 1

So that film is basically a documentary about a guy who found out that the government is spying on all of us? Sorry to say this, but I wouldn't need a documentary to tell me that, lol. It should REALLY come as a surprise to no one. As long as you aren't doing anything bad, you have nothing to worry about so I don't get what's so chilling about it.

This isn't the political forum, so I won't say much more than... How disturbing of a perspective you have on that issue.

• Upvote 1

I just watched Fury last night. I thought it was really good, and Shia surprisingly did a great job acting IMO. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Yeah, it's not bad, it's just, well, a WW2 movie. I'm not sure what else can be done with the genre.

just watched Edge of Tomorrow, I was actually rather impressed, I liked that they didn't dwell on the premise, just laid out this is how the aliens work, deal with it

• Upvote 1