Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Green Bay Fires Mike McCarthy

And the first domino falls. 

'Tis a glorious day!

Completely shocked. I know there have been reports about tension growing but figured there was no chance we would fire him midseason. Just doesn't seem like a Murphy/Packers thing to do. Mike did a lot of great things for this franchise and any rational fan should be grateful for that. But it was definetely time to move on. I hope McCarthy goes to Cleveland and helps develop Baker.

For the Packers, I don't know exactly who I want but it should be an interesting offseason/coaching search. Curious if we target an offensive coach and try to keep Pettine or how the organization approaches it. Hopefully Murphy lets Gutenkunst run it and get his guy.

Every coaching free agent is going to want the Packers job. My hunch is they get McDaniels.

Also, Browns are already working and starting the process of hiring McCarthy as their next head coach.

Jeff Saturday came out and said Aaron has been annoyed by Mike’s playcalling since at least 2012. So unhealthy. I know we haven’t sucked the e tire time,  but this should’ve been done long ago. Also, Mark Murphy is retaining the power over the head coach... don’t think I like that. 

Please take John DeFillipo. Please.

Vegas gave him best odds to take the job. 

Packers quietly ushered McCarthy out of the building after his firing. He wasn’t allowed to address the team and players learned about it through social media and tv. 

Cant say I like that very much. He had to be let go... but he’s done so much for this community and team over the years (other than being a competent head coach the last 6 or so years)... I feel like he should’ve been able to talk to the guys but I guess maybe the rifts were deeper than fans know about? 

• Upvote 1

If the Packers actually hire Jeff Fisher to take over for McCarthy lol. Packers should hire a defensive guy and keep Philbin. Rodgers likes him idk.

Nah Packers should put emphasis on offense. I don't know who the next McVay is, but that's who Green Bay should be looking for. 

• Upvote 1

Packers did let Mike come back and speak with his coaches and players, so that’s good. 

And I believe the word is that the Packers are looking for the next McVay. Who knows what happens when the interviews start, but that’s what the twitterverse is saying. 

Idt there is a next McVay. I think if you give Aaron Rodgers a good defense that they're going to contend. Look at what a running game and a defense has done for Brees. The Packers have a good back. They have some pieces on the defensive line but they need some play makers on that side of the ball and a good defensive mind. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is obsessed with trying to find the next McVay but nobody knows who that could be. Maybe Carmichael Jr or Bieniemy, although both are older than McVay. Some really want Riley but the dude has been HC for 2 years now and was basically handed a powerhouse, would be risky to go with him.

I wouldn't mind going the defensive minded HC route and getting Fangio or Kris Richard as coach then grab someone young for OC. The only problem is that I think Pettine is turning the defense around and prefers to stay as the DC. May be easier letting him continue to rebuild the defense and let the HC run with the offense.

Personally, I would like Chris Petersen or Carmichael Jr for the next coach. Then probably Richard or Fangio.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

7 hours ago, Packers Dynasty 2010 said:

Everyone is obsessed with trying to find the next McVay but nobody knows who that could be.

I didn't say it was easy or obvious. I said that has to be Green Bay's goal. You have an all-time great QB. Why wouldn't you prioritize maximizing every bit of production you can out of him?

Because he's 35, oft injured, and has been part of the problem this year? You get a guy not to develop Aaron, but to develop the next QB behind him.

I think moving forward the Packers D is in a lot better shape, talent wise. We have a ton of young WRs, some of our olins is going to be rotating to different starters, we have a log jam at running back that somehow McCarthy couldn’t figure out... even maybe Aaron’s successor at some point. 

I feel like an offensive minded guy is a must. I’m not going to complain too much about a D guy though as long as he knows offense or at the least knows other very good coaches who know offense to mentor all these new starters and young players. 

Edited by Vin

Kris Richard would be a perfect fit imo. He seems like a players coach who could quickly bring that locker room together. If not I might try to lure David Shaw away from Stanford. I think those guys would commit to a running game and try to get the most out of Aaron Jones. If you combine that with just better defense, it's going to be tough to stop Rodgers. He still doesn't really throw picks at home. He still has Adams. I'm telling you, Pack should go defense. Plus if you have a team that can run the ball and play defense you're not dead in the water if/when Rodgers gets hurt.

Edited by seanbrock

:welp:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Josh McDaniels is a possible candidate for the Packers' head coach job.

The Packers are casting a wide net in their search to replace Mike McCarthy. They've already met with Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano, and have been linked to Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald. McDaniels was nearly packaged with Green Bay GM Brian Gutekunst when he interviewed for the 49ers' job in 2017, so there's some familiarity between the sides. The Browns are also expected to have McDaniels interest.

Source: NFL Network

GM familiarity doesn't bode well...