Sarge

Favorite Quotes

"Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality."

-- Warren G. Bennis

All of these are from my favorite writer Charles Bukowski... (He's a bit of a pessimist if you can't tell)

"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them."

"You begin saving the world by saving one person at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics."

"I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there."

"Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste."

"That's the problem with drinking, I thought, as I poured myself a drink. If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen."

• Upvote 1

"I'm tired of pretending I'm not a rockstar from Mars." - Charlie Sheen

A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.
  • Upvote 1

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

Colonel Sanders

"I disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

"Nobody who gave their best ever regretted it." - George "Papa Bear" Halas

"All great change in America begins at the dinner table." - Ronald Reagan

"Facts are stubborn things." - Ronald Reagan

"I am a strong believer in luck. I find that the harder you work, the more you have of it." - Thomas Jefferson

"If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm." - Vince Lombardi

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get back up." - Vince Lombardi

Guest Durant4MVP

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." --Socrates

Beer is like duct tape. It might not fix it for good, but it'll hold up for awhile.

-Me

Opinions are like testicles, kick them hard enough and it doesn't matter how many you have.

-- Varric

"How do you know my dimwitted inexperience isn't really a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, thereby enhancing my ability to maneuver myself within any given situation?"

Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"

Annie Dillard

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Mohandas Gandhi

If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane.

Robert Green Ingersoll

A liberal is a man or a woman or a child who looks forward to a better day, a more tranquil night, and a bright, infinite future.

Leonard Bernstein

An idea not coupled with action will never get any bigger than the brain cell it occupied.

Arnold H. Glasow

I am a kind of paranoid in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy.

J. D. Salinger

I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect.

J. D. Salinger

And here is my all-time favorite quote:

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.

Bruce Lee

If most of those who took part in this one-dimensional debate were honest with themselves, they would admit that they do not in principle believe that the United States can do any good overseas for anyone but the American government, its armed forces, or privileged American elites. Christopher Hitchens.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". - Ben Franklin

"They're not that different from you, are they? Same haircuts... Full of hormones, just like you. Invincible, just like you feel... The world is their oyster. They believe they're destined for great things, just like many of you, their eyes are full of hope, just like you... Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because, you see gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils... But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you... Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it?... Carpe... hear it?... Carpe... Carpe Diem... Seize the day, boys... Make your lives extraordinary..."

- John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Guest Phailadelphia
“If someone isn’t what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”

-The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

“It eluded us then, but that’s no matter — tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther … And one fine morning — So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” -The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald

“And courage to me meant ploughing through that dull gray mist that comes down on life—not only overriding people and circumstances but overriding the bleakness of living. A sort of insistence on the value of life and the worth of transient things.” -The Offshore Pirate by F Scott Fitzgerald

“Things are sweeter when they’re lost. I know—because once I wanted something and got it. It was the only thing I ever wanted badly…And when I got it it turned to dust in my hands.” -The Beautiful and Damned by F Scott Fitzgerald

I just made this up... tell me if it's good or not.

"Don't try to be something you're not, because it's a waste of what you already are."

• Upvote 1

I just made this up... tell me if it's good or not.

"Don't try to be something you're not, because it's a waste of what you already are."

Love it :thumbup:

Unless your bangy, then lolyou :p

• Upvote 1

"He called me a rapist and a recluse. I'm not a recluse."

"I wanna kill people, rip out their stomachs and eat their children"

"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killin' y'all"

- Mike Tyson

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

- John Keating from Dead Poets' Society

• Upvote 1

"We all go a little mad sometimes" - Norman Bates, Psycho.

1:45, cool scene though. Anthony Perkins is awesome as Bates.

Guest Phailadelphia
“In the search for truth so many attain “higher wisdom”, “greater understanding”, “nirvana”. The religions are stifled with dogma and gross inaccuracies, they belie their origins and demand complete devotion to whatever absurd design it is that gives them their purpose. I tell you, I see more sense in creating a religion around Nicole Kidman than in worshiping some god--at least she looks like one.”

Kurt Vonnegut

"Find what you love, and

let it kill you." Charles Bukowski

"Can you imagine a nothingness so profound that millions of people over thousands of years felt the need to create an entire afterlife just so they wouldn't have to look it in the eye?"

“People say there are no atheists in foxholes. A lot of people think this is a good argument against atheism. Personally, I think it’s a much better argument against foxholes.”

Kurt Vonnegut

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 1

Only really read through the first page so far so if any of these are repeats my apologies.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Suess

"As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let us down, probably will. You'll have your heart broken and you'll break others' hearts. You'll fight with your best friend or maybe even fall in love with them, and you'll cry because time is flying by. So take too many pictures, laugh too much, forgive freely, and love like you've never been hurt. Life comes with no guarantees, no time outs, no second chances. you just have to live life to the fullest, tell someone what they mean to you and tell someone off, speak out, dance in the pouring rain, hold someone's hand, comfort a friend, fall asleep watching the sun come up, stay up late, be a flirt, and smile until your face hurts. Don't be afraid to take chances or fall in love and most of all, live in the moment because every second you spend angry or upset is a second of happiness you can never get back." -Unkown

"Love isn't about finding the perfect person, it's seeing an imperfect person, perfectly." -Same Keen