KiLaSix9

Best WR in the draft?

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you take?

• A.J. Green
    • Julio Jones
    • Other (specify)

Saw this on ESPN and wondered what TGP would chose;

So AJ Green and Julio Jones are the top receiving prospects coming into the league. Both had great college careers, are athletic beasts and will most likely be stars regardless of where they end up.

Which WR would you chose if you had to pick between the two of them?

OR is there another guy thats a better pick then either of them?

Well first of all, it's definitely between those two guys. The next level of guys--Torrey Smith, Leonard Hankerson--they aren't even close. Probably not even first round guys. A.J. Green and Julio Jones are both elite prospects.

Green has the edge for me, though it's a slight one. Both receivers are tremendously gifted physically, but Green had a better career at Georgia whereas Jones was slightly inconsistent at times. Just watch some of Green's highlights and you'll see why he's touted so highly. Just get the ball near him and he'll make the catch.

Well first of all, it's definitely between those two guys. The next level of guys--Torrey Smith, Leonard Hankerson--they aren't even close. Probably not even first round guys. A.J. Green and Julio Jones are both elite prospects.

Green has the edge for me, though it's a slight one. Both receivers are tremendously gifted physically, but Green had a better career at Georgia whereas Jones was slightly inconsistent at times. Just watch some of Green's highlights and you'll see why he's touted so highly. Just get the ball near him and he'll make the catch.

I'd beg to differ. Just because they don't go int he 1st round, doesn't mean that they are automatically inferior, and are guaranteed to have worse NFL Careers. Being a "1st round talent" is awesome. Being picked in the 1st round is outstanding... But after the draft, that stuff doesn't matter. It is what the players do with the opportunity given to them.

I'd beg to differ. Just because they don't go int he 1st round, doesn't mean that they are automatically inferior, and are guaranteed to have worse NFL Careers. Being a "1st round talent" is awesome. Being picked in the 1st round is outstanding... But after the draft, that stuff doesn't matter. It is what the players do with the opportunity given to them.

I never said they were guaranteed to have worse careers. KiLa asked which WR was the best in this class, specifically who was better between Green and Jones. And as of now, from an evaluation standpoint, those two are on a level by themselves. We have seen plenty of first round receivers bust over the years, so it certainly wouldn't be a surprise if guys like Hankerson or Smith end up as the best from the class, but in terms of what KiLa is asking, only two guys are in the discussion.

I never said they were guaranteed to have worse careers. KiLa asked which WR was the best in this class, specifically who was better between Green and Jones. And as of now, from an evaluation standpoint, those two are on a level by themselves. We have seen plenty of first round receivers bust over the years, so it certainly wouldn't be a surprise if guys like Hankerson or Smith end up as the best from the class, but in terms of what KiLa is asking, only two guys are in the discussion.

I don't think Best WR and Best prospect are the same.

Just for kicks:

Jones

6'4" 220 lb

4.39 40 yd dash

11.3 broad jump

Green

6'4 211 lb

4.5 40 yd dash

10.5 broad jump

Edited by KiLaSix9

I think Green will be better in the first few years but they'll be on par or Jones will have a slight edge in the long run.

I don't think Best WR and Best prospect are the same.

Based on this:

So AJ Green and Julio Jones are the top receiving prospects coming into the league. Both had great college careers, are athletic beasts and will most likely be stars regardless of where they end up.

The answer is between two guys. KiLa is asking which WR is the better prospect, not who will become the best WR of this class, unless I'm misunderstanding, which I very well may be.

If I was drafting I would personally pick A.J. Green. Julio's stock may have rose a bunch from the combine but there's a reason A.J. was thought to be a top 5 pick even before the combine. He's an amazing play maker.

I think either of them will give a team a great receiver to come, but yeah, there is one guy I'd say could be better. Fucking JD drafted him in the Mock Draft.

I'd take Julio Jones... But that's only cause he's a physical beast.

But I think AJ Green will be the better prospect... Outside of physically speaking, I think AJ Green might be the best receiver to enter the draft since Calvin Johnson.

Based on this:

The answer is between two guys. KiLa is asking which WR is the better prospect, not who will become the best WR of this class, unless I'm misunderstanding, which I very well may be.

Yes, it's between two guys because that's why there is an "Other" option. lol. Everyone knows that those two guys are gonna be taken 1a and 1b. But that doesn't mean that they will be 1a and 1b when their careers are finished. I would be interested to check out how often the best WR of a draft class is the first WR taken.

I won't do the last few years just because there is a lot to be seen from those guys... No way of telling who the best is yet, IMO. And I am not searching the ENTIRE draft for EVERY decent WR taken. Just going down and after I get a coupl egood names I move on. So, if I missed a big name WR, I apologize.

2008 - 1. Donnie Avery

-- Other WRs Taken: DeSean Jackson, Mario Manningham, Stevie Johnson

2007 - 1. Calvin Johnson

-- Other WRs Taken: Dwayne Bowe, Sidney Rice, Steve Smith (NYG)

2006 - 1. Santonio Holmes

-- Other WRs Taken: Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall,

2005 - 1. Braylon Edwards

Other WRs Taken: Roddy White, Vincent Jackson,

2004 - 1. Larry Fitzgerald

Other WRs Taken: Lee Evans, Jerricho Cotchery

2003 - 1. Charles Rogers

Other WRs Taken: Anquan Boldin, Brandon Lloyd

2002 - 1. Donte Stallworth

Other WRs Taken: Deion Branch, Ashlie Lelie

2001 - 1. David Terrell

Other WRs Taken: Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith (CAR)

2000 - 1. Peter Warrick

Other WRs Taken: Plaxico Burress, Darrell Jackson,

1999 - 1. Torry Holt

Other WRs Taken: Peerless Price, Marty Booker, Donald Driver

1998 - 1. Kevin Dyson

Other WRs Taken: Randy Moss, Hines Ward,

There is 10 years there... How many times would you say the best WR is taken first at their position? Looking at it, I count three times. We may have differing opinions, but to me... 3/10 or 30% isn't all that great. And I would have to say that the odds are AGAINST AJ Green or Julio Jones, in the end.. being the best WR of this draft class.

That isn't to say they aren't talented... or that they will completely bust... or that they have no shot at being the best WR in the class. But let' snot act like they are the only two names in the draft at the WR position.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Once again, I wasn't referring to who I thought the best WR of this class is going to be; that's obviously impossible to say and per the stats you posted, top rated receivers don't usually work out. I was just saying that right now, Green and Jones are miles ahead of other receivers in terms of draft stock.

Once again, I wasn't referring to who I thought the best WR of this class is going to be; that's obviously impossible to say and per the stats you posted, top rated receivers don't usually work out. I was just saying that right now, Green and Jones are miles ahead of other receivers in terms of draft stock.

Seems a bit.. contradictory.

Seems a bit.. contradictory.

For what it's worth I agree with you. The same could be said about overhyped quarterbacks and pass rushers who go in the top ten. But is it really fair to dilute the draft stock of A.J. Green and Julio Jones because of what other prospects have done in the past? I don't think so, but I'm sure it's something that scouts and GMs keep in mind.

For what it's worth I agree with you. The same could be said about overhyped quarterbacks and pass rushers who go in the top ten. But is it really fair to dilute the draft stock of A.J. Green and Julio Jones because of what other prospects have done in the past? I don't think so, but I'm sure it's something that scouts and GMs keep in mind.

Sorry... I don't really understand what you are saying... lol. You agree... but it isn't fair to AJ and Julio to look at the facts? Eh.

We will just leave it at that unless you have some something groundbreaking to say :D

I think this is all stemming from a misunderstanding. When I said

I was talking in terms of draft stock and the evaluation process to this point. I wasn't trying to say that Green and Jones are the only ones who have the potential to become great receivers in the NFL.

/groundbreaking :p

Some bitches on their periods up in here!

With the limited facts in hand and without fucking Marty McFly and his time machine; who would I draft for my franchise, AJ, Julio or Other?

I'm going AJ.

I'm not an NFL scout and I dont have a crystal ball so I can only answer the question as it was posed. Who would I take.

• Upvote 1

Some bitches on their periods up in here!

With the limited facts in hand and without fucking Marty McFly and his time machine; who would I draft for my franchise, AJ, Julio or Other?

I'm going AJ.

I'm not an NFL scout and I dont have a crystal ball so I can only answer the question as it was posed. Who would I take.

To be fair.. the title of the poll is Best WR... lol. And the chances one of these guys winds up being the best is against them.Trade down and pick Leonard Hankerson. More picks, better WR... Win/Win.

The question asked was "Who would you take?" Look up at the poll.

Also, in his post KiLa asked:

The Best WR in the draft is just fluff. Again, given the info we have right now I'd take AJ. I'm not sure what you're arguing. That I wouldnt take AJ? /me throws a courtesy 'lol' into the sentence.

The question asked was "Who would you take?" Look up at the poll.

Also, in his post KiLa asked:

The Best WR in the draft is just fluff. Again, given the info we have right now I'd take AJ. I'm not sure what you're arguing. That I wouldnt take AJ? /me throws a courtesy 'lol' into the sentence.

Okay... Both questions were asked, but because you don't want to discuss one of them... "it's just fluff".

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner. lol.

EDIT:

I'm going to remember that awesome logic when I get totally outclassed on a certain subject or question. "Ha, you are speaking nonsense, that question is FLUFF.". haha. I am sure that will work out well for me.

And as far as who you want... You can have whomever you please. Especially if that guy has a fairly low chance of being the best in the draft class. Save some of the talent for teams who have a shot at winning some ball games. :shrug::D

EDIT 2:

Oh.. and random thought. Why is whenever two or more people disagree on a topic, they are automatically dubbed to be "on their period". What is so bad about disagreeing and debating? I never really got that about people on this site. lol. Just a random thought though... Don't mind me, just more fluff. ;) If I wanted to be on a forum where everyone agreed, and took turns suckign Jupiter's cock like one of sean's bongs... I would go join one of the fail Packers forums (which are horrible and full of homers). No thanks. :corn:

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Wow, saw this was at two pages and thought I had a lot of responses and not just JD trying to tear everyone a new one. :p

Nah but seriously, I'd love to say I created this thought provoking question about who you would not only take with your pick but who would also end up having the greater career but I'd be lying. I simply meant to ask whom you would take with your pick if you had the choice of drafting one of them OR would you instead pick another WR.

When evaluating a prospect, a team can really only look at a guys college career, physical attributes and combine/pro day results. As much history as we have on guys who have been taken first, its nearly impossible to know a guy with all these tools wont be the best guy taken in 5-10 years.

Sure, I can look at history and see that 30% of guys taken early didn't turn out to be the best in class and that is a valid point. Then again, if I'm looking at Green and Jones I can also make the argument that they are as physically gifted and ready as that 30% group of WRs that were taken first and ended up being the best in their class.

Okay... Both questions were asked, but because you don't want to discuss one of them... "it's just fluff".

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner. lol.

EDIT:

I'm going to remember that awesome logic when I get totally outclassed on a certain subject or question. "Ha, you are speaking nonsense, that question is FLUFF.". haha. I am sure that will work out well for me.

And as far as who you want... You can have whomever you please. Especially if that guy has a fairly low chance of being the best in the draft class. Save some of the talent for teams who have a shot at winning some ball games. :shrug::D

EDIT 2:

Oh.. and random thought. Why is whenever two or more people disagree on a topic, they are automatically dubbed to be "on their period". What is so bad about disagreeing and debating? I never really got that about people on this site. lol. Just a random thought though... Don't mind me, just more fluff. ;) If I wanted to be on a forum where everyone agreed, and took turns suckign Jupiter's cock like one of sean's bongs... I would go join one of the fail Packers forums (which are horrible and full of homers). No thanks. :corn:

You mad?

Its fluff because its impossible to know who is the best WR in the draft and I can only answer who I would take. It's fluff because it only serves to sensationalize the topic. The question asked directly above the answer is "Who would you take". Yes, it's great to debate...when you have sound logical reason to argue. You seem to be ripping into SteVo above, just for the sake of arguing. It's your MO.

Question: Best WR in the Draft/Who would you take?

SteVos reply: AJ Green and Julio Jones are the top two prospects, given the information we have now.

You: THEREZ NO WAI TO KNOW THAT! JUS CUZ YER THE TOP PICK DUN MEAN YER THE BEST!

Everyone: No shit.

Me: I dont have a crystal ball and can only answer based on what I know right now. AJ would be who I select.

You: I WANNA ARGUE! <insert lol>

Edited by NaTaS

2003 - 1. Charles Rogers

Other WRs Taken: Anquan Boldin, Brandon Lloyd

Don't forget Andre Johnson....but I believe Rogers was taken above Johnson based on his "hometown" status...not on his abilities.

I see your point, but the thread kind of has you choosing between the 2 or stating your 3rd.

The draft as a whole is barely more than educated guesses, anyway.