oochymp

ESPN's top ten TEs

This is their fourth installment of the position rankings, I've posted the other three here, so here are their TE rankings:

1. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys

2. Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers

3. Dallas Clark, Indianapolis Colts

4. Vernon Davis, San Francisco 49ers

5. Chris Cooley, Washington Redskins

6. Tony Gonzalez, Atlanta Falcons

7. Kellen Winslow Jr., Tampa Bay

8. Marcedes Lewis, Jacksonville Jaguars

9. Brandon Pettigrew, Detroit Lions

10. Jermichael Finley, Green Bay

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/25756/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-tight-ends

Discuss

No Gronk? The fuck is this shit?

coleman_wtf.gif

reading the article, they talked about how deep the talent pool at TE is right now in the league and a few of the bloggers made a conscious decision to leave rookies off their lists with the idea of looking at consistency

I have no problem with Vernon at 4.

Finley fell after his (practically) season long injury. Which isn't surprising or upsetting. But I definitely see him climbing up that list this season

Guest Durant4MVP

I was about to argue Finley should be much higher but I forgot about his injury. Maybe next year.

Marcedes Lewis is too low, IMO.

• Upvote 1

This is really his first good season as a pro. His breakout year. If they are going off consistency, it makes sense.

I was surprised to see Gates below Witten, but then I realized that, like their RB rankings, there was only 1 point between first and second

I mean, is this a career achievements type of thing? Regardless, Marcedes has been better -- not at just receiving -- than you think, beyond this season.

If it's based upon career, I'd say Gonzo needs to be higher on the list.

If it's based upon career, I'd say Gonzo needs to be higher on the list.

It's not based on career.

these lists are a combination of ten bloggers' opinions, there's really no qualifications beyond their opinions, and I really haven't seen a lot of consistency in their qualifications, sometimes they've overvalued players based on upside, other times they've undervalued players who have just hit the map

And another Cowboy tops the rankings at his respective position.

So why do we suck? :grinno:

This.

Tony G = greatest ever. Whitten is probably the best all around TE right now, but it's hard not to give the nod to an offensive weapon like Gates.

I would put Gates number 1 after this season. He was monstrous at times and played for a greater part of the season with that nasty foot injury.

Some of you would really put Gates over Witten as the #1 TE in football?!?!?!?!?!?

To me, it's a no-brainer....J-Witt is a rare breed who is not only as good if not better of a receiver than Gates BUT he's ALSO the best blocking TE in football....it's like having a 260 pound player with elite blocking ability who can also put up numbers like a top-tier WR, with great route-running abilites, soft hands and (obviously) the physicality after the catch....

I can't see the logic behind not thinking J-Witt isn't the best TE in football....don't get me wrong.....I hate the fucker, because he's a Cowboy....but I'd be a fuckin' liar if I said he wasn't the best TE in the NFL right now....

JMHO....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I used to be really high on Witten, but meh, he hasn't really impressed as of late. Gates is clearly better. BOO YA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some of you would really put Gates over Witten as the #1 TE in football?!?!?!?!?!?

To me, it's a no-brainer....J-Witt is a rare breed who is not only as good if not better of a receiver than Gates BUT he's ALSO the best blocking TE in football....it's like having a 260 pound player with elite blocking ability who can also put up numbers like a top-tier WR, with great route-running abilites, soft hands and (obviously) the physicality after the catch....

I can't see the logic behind not thinking J-Witt isn't the best TE in football....don't get me wrong.....I hate the fucker, because he's a Cowboy....but I'd be a fuckin' liar if I said he wasn't the best TE in the NFL right now....

JMHO....

I'll give you that Witten is the best blocking TE in the league but your going to judge someone on saying Gates is the best TE after he posted 220 yards fewer and 1 TD more than Jason did while playing 6 fewer games?? Dude is sick. Is a phenomal athelete who is just as physical after the catch, can make difficult catches and has great hands.

JMHO....

Don't know why sombody negged you, but I +1'd you to make it even. Well-said.

As far as the receiving threat goes, the difference is mininal. Blocking - not even close. Having him on the line next to a OL creates a huge mismatch for the defense because they have to account for him as a receiver AND as a blocker and if he goes out, it disrupts their coverage. Even when he draws double coverage he'll get the tough yards to move the chains on designed plays to him and take the hardest hit and keep on playing (Philly game, anyone?).

In the end, I guess it comes down to preference. If you want a WR who has great leaping ability and body control, Gates is your guy. If you want a guy who can run perfect routes and has great hands and is not only a willing but a near perfect blocker then you'd take Witten.

I think the majority of NFL coaches would rather have Witten than Gates.

Guest Durant4MVP

I'll give you that Witten is the best blocking TE in the league but your going to judge someone on saying Gates is the best TE after he posted 220 yards fewer and 1 TD more than Jason did while playing 6 fewer games?? Dude is sick. Is a phenomal athelete who is just as physical after the catch, can make difficult catches and has great hands.

Rivers didn't have anyone else to throw the ball to. Witten is the 2nd or 3rd option on this team unless it's a clutch third down needed to win a game.

In other words, SD was one of the top offense in terms of yardage last season, compared to a struggling Dallas team in 2011.

So statistical comparisons in 2011 isn't exactly a fair analysis.