Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

Just how bad is this QB draft class?

It’s kill the rookie quarterback class day

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 1, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT

Cam Newton isn’t the only quarterback in this class under the microscope.

A pair of national columns came out Friday vivisecting the top quarterback prospects. This is a group that inspires a lot of differing opinions.

“All I will say is that I’m glad I don’t need a quarterback this year,†one NFC general manager told Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports. “If you’re telling me I have to bet the future of my team and my job on one of these guys, I would be really nervous. It’s tough enough to take a quarterback to begin with. But then you put these guys in the equation? No, thanks.â€

With that comment setting the table, let’s take a tour to find out what others are saying.

One NFC executive on Ryan Mallett, via Albert Breer of NFL.com: “He’s the best pure passer in the draft, hands down. He’s Jeff George as a passer, Jim Everett as a person.†(That’s not a compliment.)

An AFC personnel man on Blaine Gabbert to Cole: “When I look at Gabbert, I think of Ken O’Brien. That’s the best you’ll probably get, and that’s not good enough if you’re at the top of the draft. Are you really going to build the future of your franchise around that guy? To me, it feels like settling.â€

An AFC G.M. on Jake Locker to Cole: “Generally, if a quarterback isn’t accurate, you cross him off your list. It’s not worth the time. . . . The only way I’d take Locker is at the end of the second round.â€

Breer on Locker: “I’ve heard everything ranging from, ‘He’s not a quarterback’ to ‘You can win with him.â€â€

And finally, a G.M. on Mallet via Cole: “I would never take him. Never. He’s irresponsible, selfish and not a leader.â€

Your 2011 rookie quarterback class, ladies and gentlemen!

Now we know that it only takes one team to fall in love and there are widely divergent views on this class.

But after three straight solid crops of rookies high in the draft, taking one this year feels more like a boom or bust proposition.

SOURCE: PFT

The underlined part about sums up my feelings exactly. Too bad the Vikings very clearly need a QB. :facepalm:

The Vikings have a quarterback. He just needs to come out of retirement again. :p

The Vikings have a quarterback. He just needs to come out of retirement again. :p

You sunuvabitch.... :grinno:

I actually think this class will be one of the best in awhile. I fully expect Gabbert, Mallet, and Andy Dalton to work out within 1-2 years and possible Cam Newton as well. Greg McElroy might work out too, if he has a decent OL.

Gabbert and Newton are both overrated, overhyped prospects who will probably bust, but I think that between the five to seven guys that could go in the second round, there will be some future starters. Christian Ponder and Ricky Stanzi in particular.

I like Ponder but I'd take Kaepernick over Stanzi.

I like Ponder but I'd take Kaepernick over Stanzi.

I think most people would and he will go before Stanzi in the actual draft. But I like Stanzi has a better shot in the long run. I don't like Gabbert, Newton, or Mallet at all. Colin I'm iffy on. Really like Ponder and Stanzi, and I think McElroy will be a good backup somewhere.

I think it will be a good class. Newton isn't going to be any good IMO, but I expect Locker to suprise people and I think Stanzi has a lot of potential, too.

I never even heard of Gabbert until Luck said he was staying another year and I wouldn't draft Newton in the 1st round. Not a very "wow" class but I do like some of the QB's (i.e Stanzi, Ponder, Kaepernick, McElroy) over some of the more 'hyped' QB's (i.e Gabbert, Newton, Mallet)

I think most people would and he will go before Stanzi in the actual draft. But I like Stanzi has a better shot in the long run. I don't like Gabbert, Newton, or Mallet at all. Colin I'm iffy on. Really like Ponder and Stanzi, and I think McElroy will be a good backup somewhere.

Good call on McElroy. I agree that he'll be a quality backup in the NFL.

Yeah I'd be surprised if any of the QBs that go in the first round this year work turn into great NFL players...unless Ponder goes in the first that is :D

One NFC scouting director predicts that quarterbacks will fly off the board quickly in April's draft, with potentially as many as eight signal callers gone before the end of round three.

"Teams that think they’ll get the quarterback they want in the second round could be in for a rude awaking," says the scouting director. "Teams could be trading up to late first round for those guys." If a quarterback truly is a premium player, teams won't let him fall past the top-32 picks. Especially not in an NFL that includes upwards of 14 teams with needs at the position. Source: National Football Post