Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Rivera hinting at Steve Smith trade?

Per Rotoworld.com:

Coach Ron Rivera listed wide receiver as a top draft need Tuesday, which the Charlotte Observer interprets as "a pretty good clue as to the Panthers' thoughts on Steve Smith's future."

The Panthers would seem to be fine at the position with Smith and the three players drafted last year, so Rivera's statement is telling. It's not clear whether Smith has reiterated his desire to be traded in recent months, but he has "given every indication he is ready to move on." Depending on Judge Nelson's actions Wednesday, trading season could be open in by the end of the week. Apr 26, 2:01 PM

Source: Charlotte Observer

Not sure what all they can get for him. It looks as if he has been losing his edge in recent years.

I don't really see this as an indication they are looking to trade Steve. If the right offer came they of course would, but he's past his prime. It's understandable they would be looking for a future #1 WR now rather than later.

By Pat Yasinskas

ESPN.com

Sometime before the NFL lockout started in March, Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith cleaned out his locker at Bank of America Stadium, according to a report by Pro Football Weekly.

The report also says Smith, on the same day, took down all of the decorations in the luxury suite his family used on game days.

There has been speculation for months that the veteran wide receiver might want out as the Panthers continue with a youth movement and coach Ron Rivera takes over a team that was 2-14 last season.

Smith has been mum on the topic, but this could be a sign that he wants to be traded as soon as the league's labor situation is resolved enough to allow transactions.

The report also said Smith asked to be traded before the lockout began. Smith's Charlotte home has been on the market for more than a year, but he said last season that was because he was considering moving to another home in the area that would better accommodate his family.

The team has been deliberate when discussing Smith's future publicly. At the NFL owners meeting, Rivera said he had talked to Smith before the lockout and that the team would wait to see how things sorted out.

Privately, a team official said Smith was told in January that he should sit down and think about his future. The team official said Smith was told, if he wanted out, that the team would work with him. But the official also said it was made clear to Smith that the Panthers will not simply release him or "give him away."

Smith joined the Panthers in 2001 and has spent his entire career in Carolina. The team official said if Smith wanted out, the team would seek draft picks or players as compensation in trade scenarios.

Source: ESPN

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN AFC West blogger Bill Williamson suggests the Broncos could be a "legitimate possibility" to trade for Panthers WR Steve Smith.

A Smith trade is now beginning to look probable rather than just possible. New coach John Fox had Smith in Carolina for 10 years, and the two had a "good relationship." Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow would be an upgrade on Jimmy Clausen and Cam Newton, but a trade to Denver wouldn't solve Smith's wish of joining a contender. The Broncos also have far greater needs than wide receiver.

Not sure what all they can get for him. It looks as if he has been losing his edge in recent years.

Look at who has been throwing the ball to him the past few years.... Matt Moore, Jimmy Clausen, Jake Delhomme. It's tough to do much with them as your QB. Steve Smith is a great receiver and I don't think he is washed up just yet.I'd love to see him leave Carolina. He always kills the Bucs.

Edited by GoodellFTL

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas reports Steve Smith was told in January that the Panthers would "work with him" on a trade if he wants out.

Smith was asked to mull over his future in Carolina and get back to the team's brass. It was made clear that the Panthers will not release Smith or "give him away." The Gaston Gazette's Steve Reed confirms that Smith "does want out," and that his preference is to play for the Chargers or Ravens. If Smith does end up playing with a top-tier QB, he's a good bet to re-join the ranks of the fantasy elite. Any time he's had even an adequate passer, Smith has been one of the most unstoppable receivers in the game.

Source: ESPN.com Apr 26, 10:38 PM

Per Rotoworld.com:

Steve Smith confirms that he has asked the Panthers front office to put him in a "competitive situation" this year.

Smith has not "demanded" a trade, insisting he wants to be "respectful" to the Panthers organization. "In my mind, I have played out every scenario," said Smith. "I could be moved, I could be cut, I could stay or I could be locked out." Smith's agent made it clear the receiver's priority is a "burning desire" to show he's a top talent on a contending team "hopefully on the verge of winning a championship." Smith hinted that the Raiders are not high on his wish list, but the Chargers, Ravens, and Texans may be. May 10, 7:58 PM

Source: Pro Football Weekly

And:

Steve Smith revealed that he played through a quadriceps injury in his left leg in addition to a mid-season high ankle sprain last year.

"It just kind of spiraled from there," Smith said. "Did I lose a step? Anyone would lose a step when you're playing on one leg. I just tried to play through it, and ultimately I looked slow. Instead of 31, I looked 41." Smith also admits to frustration with Jimmy Clausen and pressing to try to make too much happen on offense. "I let my teammates down," said Smith. "I felt bad about it. I don't want to experience that again ... I know I can still play. I know it." Turning 32 this week, Smith believes he can play at least five more seasons. May 10, 9:31 PM

Source: Pro Football Weekly

Edited by BLUE

Steve Smith is an awesome guy. Totally respect him for the way he's handling this situation. If I was him I'd be asking to let me get the fuck out of Carolina :D

I despise Steve Smith...but he's just a trooper. Guys been with the Panthers for so long without giving shit back to them as far as PR goes. Guy's really a good player still, and he's someone that can still be a game-changer on the right team...but seriously...get him out of the NFC South please :D

I think it's good that he may be getting out, but I'm hearing rumors that he's possibly coming to San Diego. That I would not be happy about. He's still got enough in the tank to do some damage, and I don't want him doing it to the Chiefs twice a year.