Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Vikings draft Ponder, still going after McNabb?

According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, Donovan McNabb "remains (a) strong favorite" to land in Minnesota despite the Vikings' Thursday selection of Christian Ponder at No. 12 overall.

We'll see. While it's clear McNabb wants to play for the Vikes, it's still unclear as to whether the Vikings want him. Ponder was also considered one of the most NFL-ready quarterbacks in the draft after playing in a pro-style system at Florida State. Regardless, don't look for the Vikings to trade anything for McNabb. He's going to be released in time.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

I found this interesting, because there's also...

The St. Paul Pioneer Press expects No. 12 overall pick Christian Ponder to play "early and often" in his rookie season.

Coach Leslie Frazier mentioned throughout the draft process that he wanted a plug-and-play rookie. While folks have panned the pick as a reach, it's true that Ponder is as prepared for the NFL as any quarterback in the class. The Vikings may bring in veteran competition, but Ponder will be the favorite to beat any of them out. The coaches will definitely want him to win.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

McNabb isn't happening & thankfully so. Ponder was saying that he understands a lot of the basics to Bill Musgrave's offense & there's part of the basic packages which are extremely similar to what Jimbo Fisher was doing at FSU. That said, Ponder's learning curve will be very small & I think he's our day 1 starter. If Ponder fails in camp or simply isn't ready, then we already know what we have in Joe Webb. People seem to have already forgotten how well Joe Webb can play while under center. Joe Webb isn't going to be winning any Super Bowls but he's a hell of a stop-gap.

Can't wait for our secondary to feast on young Ponder.

McNabb isn't happening & thankfully so. Ponder was saying that he understands a lot of the basics to Bill Musgrave's offense & there's part of the basic packages which are extremely similar to what Jimbo Fisher was doing at FSU. That said, Ponder's learning curve will be very small & I think he's our day 1 starter. If Ponder fails in camp or simply isn't ready, then we already know what we have in Joe Webb. People seem to have already forgotten how well Joe Webb can play while under center. Joe Webb isn't going to be winning any Super Bowls but he's a hell of a stop-gap.

Dude, a 5-game sample is not knowing what we have in Joe Webb. And if it is...then it says a hell of a lot on why they drafted Ponder so high and may still go get a veteran back-up.

Can't wait for our secondary to feast on young Ponder.

Secondary or "The Blood Line"?

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Highly doubt McNabb would want to come in as a one year, or limited games stop-gap as Ponder grows. If I was a Vikings fan, I'd be a lot more content with Bulger then with McNabb, although IMO adding one of these vets isn't necessary considering the fact that the Vikings have Musgrave. But Bulger would come in, not necessarily as a mentor or anything, but more as a backup. In case Ponder isn't ready to start from day 1.

• Upvote 1

Coach Leslie Frazier has made it clear that Christian Ponder will be given every opportunity to win the starting quarterback job this summer.

"That would be the ideal situation -- we've got our Matt Ryan, we've got our Flacco, we've got our Sanchez right here," said Frazier. "But because of the uncertainty of the offseason, it's just hard to determine exactly how you want to approach it." As long as Ponder can put in a full training camp, we like his chances of lining up under center against the Chargers in Week 1. Donovan McNabb is no longer as likely to land in Minnesota after Ponder was drafted.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

Highly doubt McNabb would want to come in as a one year, or limited games stop-gap as Ponder grows. If I was a Vikings fan, I'd be a lot more content with Bulger then with McNabb, although IMO adding one of these vets isn't necessary considering the fact that the Vikings have Musgrave. But Bulger would come in, not necessarily as a mentor or anything, but more as a backup. In case Ponder isn't ready to start from day 1.

Yeah I agree...McNabb is not going to want to go a team where he'll just be relegated to the sideline when the Vikings feel Ponder is ready. I think Ponder will be good, but it would still be a smart move to sign a veteran QB, who can step in if needed.

Dude, a 5-game sample is not knowing what we have in Joe Webb. And if it is...then it says a hell of a lot on why they drafted Ponder so high and may still go get a veteran back-up.

Webb has ability, he's still wet behind the ears but by no means was he a disaster in spelling Brent last season. Like I said, we know what we have in Webb...young guy, learning, can make plays with his athleticism & is basically doing exactly what he is told to do through the speaker in his helmet. One thing I like about Joe Webb's starts was that he didn't often give the ball away. You know, like Favre did all last season.

Vikings hoping Ponder can start Week 1

Posted on: May 2, 2011 11:09 am

Posted by Will Brinson

The Minnesota Vikings shocked the world when they grabbed Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder

"Ideally, I'd like for him to be ready to go when we play San Diego (on Sept. 11)," Frazier said, per Tom Pelissero of 1500 ESPN Twin Cities.

But the building up of high expectations doesn't end there! Oh no: Frazier made some pretty hefty comparisons when it comes to young quarterbacks who stepped in and won right away.

"That would be the ideal situation -- we've got our Matt Ryan, we've got our (Joe) Flacco, we've got our (Mark) Sanchez right here. But because of the uncertainty of the offseason, it's just hard to determine exactly how you want to approach it. So, we need a little more clarity on what this offseason's going to be like."

This is pretty fascinating, because it was kind of always expected that the Vikings would just end up with Donovan McNabb. That's just because, um, well, I don't know -- they both had interest in one another and it seemed like a fit.

Ponder getting drafted could still mean McNabb comes along, especially if the lockout lasts for a while and the coaching staff is unable to work with Ponder extensively before the seasons starts.

However, if they do get a chance to work with Ponder, and he gets enough reps before the season starts, it seems that Minnesota could be going all-in on their rookie, while also concerning themselves with getting the most out of a roster that doesn't have much time left on a window to make a run at the Super Bowl.

SOURCE: CBS Sports

What do Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez & Joe Flacco have in common? How about the playoff team around them. Our offensive line is overpaid, half over-aged, and fucking unmotivated. Our defensive line is bound to see the most unproductive season in 10 years. Our secondary is still a joke. We can't even bank on beating the Lions twice a year anymore.

Yea...um, thanks for the comparisons Leslie but I wouldn't be so quick to think like that.

Coach Leslie Frazier confirmed Tuesday that he's looking to add a veteran quarterback to compete with Christian Ponder in training camp.

"If we went that route, we'd probably want a guy that could compete to start," Frazier said. "I don't know if I'd want a 'coach-type' guy." We're still not sure Donovan McNabb is the right fit. The Vikings clearly want Ponder to win the competition, and McNabb seems likely to balk at the mentoring role if he loses out.

Source: Pro Football Talk Live on NBCSports.com

Did I see someone call Joe Webb a hell of a stop-gap? Did you watch any game aside from the Philly game?