Barracuda

Players Top 100 List

Random, but...some of the best discussion I've ever seen in this thread. This is why I love TGP.

Here she is, the top 10 NFL players:

10. Julius Peppers

9. Drew Brees

8. Darrelle Revis

7. Andre Johnson

6. Troy Polomalu

5. Ed Reed

4. Ray Lewis

3. Adrian Peterson

2. Peyton Manning

1. Tom Brady

Why the hell was Peyton Manning presented by a baseball player? Yet another thing we can accuse the list of fucking up...

Well, aside from that.. The top 10 was pretty predictable, even before players 100-91 were released. The only names that might have thrown people off was Julius Peppers and Ray Lewis, and maybe the omission of Aaron Rodgers and Larry Fitzgerald.

But I think within the top 10, they had a good order of the players.

Edited by gobadgers77

A.P and Ray Lewis need to be moved down. Asomugha and Revis should be swapped. Overall not too fond of this top 100 list, liking TGP's list much more.

Julius Peppers above DWare? That's not right I don't care how you slice it.

If this trend continues, Peyton Manning will be ranked #1 despite his by-usual-standards awful season.

DWare is a freak, but Peppers is a beast. Peppers is stronger and better at coming off a block. He's a giant and he can still catch elusive QB's in pursuit. Honestly, if I have the chance to play against Ware or Peppers, I'd pick Ware. Ware's close, but I don't see it the same way you see it.

DWare is a freak, but Peppers is a beast. Peppers is stronger and better at coming off a block. He's a giant and he can still catch elusive QB's in pursuit. Honestly, if I have the chance to play against Ware or Peppers, I'd pick Ware. Ware's close, but I don't see it the same way you see it.

If Peppers is stronger and better at coming off a block, that makes it even more sad then that DeMarcus Ware has had the most sacks in the league since his rookie year.

Now, take off your green and white glasses and understand that Durant4MVP is correct - DeMarcus Ware very clearly deserves to be on this list ahead of Julius Peppers. The only conclusion I can make when I read your statement about choosing to play against Peppers rather than Ware is that you must have turned off the TV the past five years while Ware was raping the shit out of your Igglez. :p

Come on wb4six, look at what the public has to say. Our own (mostly) knowledgeable forum here at TGP voted DeMarcus Ware as the 5th ranked player in the NFL just a few weeks ago, beating Darrelle Revis where Julius Peppers was nowhere to be seen. Don't get me wrong, I have tremendous respect for Julius Peppers. But, when we're talking about top players...Ware is always up there. NFL.com got this one wrong.

If Peppers is stronger and better at coming off a block, that makes it even more sad then that DeMarcus Ware has had the most sacks in the league since his rookie year.

Now, take off your green and white glasses and understand that Durant4MVP is correct - DeMarcus Ware very clearly deserves to be on this list ahead of Julius Peppers. The only conclusion I can make when I read your statement about choosing to play against Peppers rather than Ware is that you must have turned off the TV the past five years while Ware was raping the shit out of your Igglez. :p

Come on wb4six, look at what the public has to say. Our own (mostly) knowledgeable forum here at TGP voted DeMarcus Ware as the 5th ranked player in the NFL just a few weeks ago, beating Darrelle Revis where Julius Peppers was nowhere to be seen. Don't get me wrong, I have tremendous respect for Julius Peppers. But, when we're talking about top players...Ware is always up there. NFL.com got this one wrong.

It's not all about the sack numbers. Ware plays in a system where he can get unblocked sacks. Watch a highlight reel of him and you'll see some amazing plays, but much more than once you'll also see the RT get eaten up by the DE and there's no back in protection, so all Ware has to do is make the tackle. 4-3 DE's can only dream of that luxury. And Peppers has so much size combined with so much speed and athleticism.

It's also really funny how many more interceptions Peppers has than Ware. 8 to 1. I'm really surprised Ware only has one career pick. If he was a more dominant pass defender, Ware would undoubtedly be the best defensive player in the league. But right now, he's a gifted athlete who makes lots and lots plays inside the box and behind the line, partially because his system gives him free space, but mostly because he's a gifted athlete.

I can see why players voted him high because they probably HATE playing against him. That's what I think this player's list came down to... "who is the most frustrating to play against," and putting AP and his punishing running style mixed with his speed, and Ray Lewis with his football scientist mind and devastating hits while still playing pass defense in the top 5 is more justifiable. They aren't really looking at stats, and they aren't looking at ONLY the last year (like fans and media tend to do). They know what attributes these guys bring to the table every game and what makes them hard to play against. They take raw talent and overall career consistency into account a lot more than just the previous season, which is often opposite the way fans and media vote, with their fresh memory of just the last year.

Everyone getting mad about the list, what can you do? Honestly, the Ware to Peppers jump is 11 to 9, who cares? That stupid analysis show they have after every episode is always so ridiculous. I remember the first one, Jay Glazier (I think) had a friggin heart attack because Donovan McNabb was #100. Who fuckin cares! And then some douche with glasses that writes articles for some New York paper is trying to defend Eli and basically says "they should have had the media decide this list because we know more than the players." Okay, so that guy might think Eli is great, but the players proved that they aren't really shitting their pants when they face off against Eli Manning in respect to the top 100 players, because he can toss you 3 picks a game, and McNabb has one of the best TD:INT ratios in NFL history. A vote is a vote, and the players know who they respect and who fucks them in games and the list is what it is. The PLAYER'S list. I really think this list is fascinating, and if people just accept it for what it is instead of trying to change it, you might learn something from it.

Only the top 20 or so really paints an accurate picture of what the players really thought, because the people who voted only put 20 players on their list. It'd be like voting for the top 25 college teams but only asking for the voters top 5, and then building a list on that.

It's not all about the sack numbers. Ware plays in a system where he can get unblocked sacks. Watch a highlight reel of him and you'll see some amazing plays, but much more than once you'll also see the RT get eaten up by the DE and there's no back in protection, so all Ware has to do is make the tackle. 4-3 DE's can only dream of that luxury. And Peppers has so much size combined with so much speed and athleticism.

It's also really funny how many more interceptions Peppers has than Ware. 8 to 1. I'm really surprised Ware only has one career pick. If he was a more dominant pass defender, Ware would undoubtedly be the best defensive player in the league. But right now, he's a gifted athlete who makes lots and lots plays inside the box and behind the line, partially because his system gives him free space, but mostly because he's a gifted athlete.

I can see why players voted him high because they probably HATE playing against him. That's what I think this player's list came down to... "who is the most frustrating to play against," and putting AP and his punishing running style mixed with his speed, and Ray Lewis with his football scientist mind and devastating hits while still playing pass defense in the top 5 is more justifiable. They aren't really looking at stats, and they aren't looking at ONLY the last year (like fans and media tend to do). They know what attributes these guys bring to the table every game and what makes them hard to play against. They take raw talent and overall career consistency into account a lot more than just the previous season, which is often opposite the way fans and media vote, with their fresh memory of just the last year.

Everyone getting mad about the list, what can you do? Honestly, the Ware to Peppers jump is 11 to 9, who cares? That stupid analysis show they have after every episode is always so ridiculous. I remember the first one, Jay Glazier (I think) had a friggin heart attack because Donovan McNabb was #100. Who fuckin cares! And then some douche with glasses that writes articles for some New York paper is trying to defend Eli and basically says "they should have had the media decide this list because we know more than the players." Okay, so that guy might think Eli is great, but the players proved that they aren't really shitting their pants when they face off against Eli Manning in respect to the top 100 players, because he can toss you 3 picks a game, and McNabb has one of the best TD:INT ratios in NFL history. A vote is a vote, and the players know who they respect and who fucks them in games and the list is what it is. The PLAYER'S list. I really think this list is fascinating, and if people just accept it for what it is instead of trying to change it, you might learn something from it.

I'm well aware it's not all about sack numbers. I simply used that stat because it's a very impressive statistic nonetheless. Don't try to pin Ware as only a pure pass rusher, either. He's a very intelligent player and is quite skilled in his pass/run defense as well.

I'll confidently say the majority of fans/players/coaches would pick Ware over Peppers to have on their team. You know the type of player DWare is, you watch him twice a year at least. Stop being ignorant. And you have me all wrong. I'm not "getting mad" about the list. I'm simply trying to defend a fellow Cowboys player from one of your typical posts. I must say though, you went big here...trying to say Ware doesn't deserve to be in the Top 10 over Peppers. Go big or don't go at all I suppose.

Go big or don't go at all I suppose.

I don't think its that big a stretch. I would take Ware in a 3-4, but Peppers in a 4-3 if given the choice. It would depend on my defense. I also have more faith in Peppers playing Ware's position at a high level than I do Ware playing Pepper's if they had to switch.

• Upvote 1

And you have me all wrong. I'm not "getting mad" about the list. I'm simply trying to defend a fellow Cowboys player from one of your typical posts. I must say though, you went big here...trying to say Ware doesn't deserve to be in the Top 10 over Peppers. Go big or don't go at all I suppose.

That last part had little to nothing to do with you, it was my response to the final part of the list, and everyone's general opinion on it.

you do realize that playing 3-4 OLB is way different than 4-3 DE ? Alot of ware sacks he has is ethier unblocked or he takes on a RB. How often is he 1 on 1 with a tackle or doubled team on the line like a 4-3 DE like peppers is ? Not to mention Peppers is crazy in run support. Peppers was the best 4-3 DE in league last year and to be fair he also man handled the eagles line and vick last season. there both completely different positions.

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 1

you do realize that playing 3-4 OLB is way different than 4-3 DE ? Alot of ware sacks he has is ethier unblocked or he takes on a RB. How often is he 1 on 1 with a tackle or doubled team on the line like a 4-3 DE like peppers is ? Not to mention Peppers is crazy in run support. Peppers was the best 4-3 DE in league last year and to be fair he also man handled the eagles line and vick last season. there both completely different positions.

I understand how the two systems work. Thank you for being very informative, sean. :rolleyes:

I saw your little post in the shoutbox yesterday about "some Cowboy fans need to realize a 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE is different." According to your logic, why are we even debating players if they're not at the same position then?

You try to paint the picture 3-4 OLBs have a clear, untouched path to the QB. And you must not watch many Cowboys games either because Ware is double teamed A LOT. It's very simple, buddy. Anything you said in your post about Peppers applies for Ware. The difference is who makes the bigger impact overall, and clearly that's Ware if you've watched football the past few years.

if im not mistaken the title is best players of 2011 and Peppers had the bigger impact in 2011. He made everybody on that line better.

if im not mistaken the title is best players of 2011 and Peppers had the bigger impact in 2011. He made everybody on that line better.

You would ignore the rest of my post and just make a comment about my last line.... :rolleyes:

Let's face it, you hate the Cowboys with a passion. Nobody has a snowball's chance in hell of persuading you to put Ware over your Bears' best player.

No Im just really tired and don't feel like typing. Anyways there not just different systems there both entirely different positions to begin with. There asked to do different things. Durant and Westbrook started this player compraision to begin with, I just joined in to say the facts which is Peppers did have a bigger impact in 2011. Izzy had a career year and had 8 sacks. Toe and Adams also have good years and eventually they both replaced tommie harris on our depth chart. We also had #2 best run D in the NFL last season. yes I do hate the cowboys alot but I m not going to deny ware's talents he is in alot people opinions the best 3-4 OLB in the NFL and rightfully so.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

I may be a bit biased because Peppers is on the Bears but I think that Peppers should be ranked higher than DWare as of now. They both have huge impacts on their respective teams but I have to give the nod to Peppers.

Sorry Cowboy fans I can't give a good explanation why it's just a feeling since they don't play the exact same position it's hard to compare them statistically, you can ignore my post if you want but count me as a Peppers supporter right now.

I think the thing is, DWare is consistent, so much so, that if he plays consistently well, no one really gives him a second thought. You look at Julius Peppers, and he has some up and down years. Considering that this is an up year for him, while Ware is doing more of the same, the conclusion can be drawn that Peppers is better is Ware, because they're both elite pass rushers, but JPepps improved.

At least that's how I see it. I personally think Ware is the best 3-4 OLB in the game, and as a edge rusher (3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE) I feel comfortable putting him at the top.

• Upvote 1