Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Bills would've traded up for Ponder?

According to former Bears QB and current Sirius NFL radio analyst Jim Miller, the Bills were "definitely going to trade up" into the second-half of the first round if Christian Ponder was still on the board.

The Vikings are still getting panned for taking Ponder at No. 12, but we've now seen reports that the Bills, Dolphins, and Redskins were clamoring to get their hands on him. Ponder enters a situation ready-made for success with Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, two talented tight ends, and possibly Sidney Rice.

Source: USA Today

Edited by SteVo

Uh... This says the Bills were going to trade up, not Bears. :p

Fail. :facepalm:

Still relevant being that the Bears nabbed Nathan Enderle. lol.

But I guess Chan Gailey isn't so confident in Fitzpatrick, after all.

Of course not Favre. Fitzpatrick is a stopgap qb until we find the perceived franchise guy. I still think we would've taken Newton if he was still there at 3rd overall.

You know we all called it a reach for the Vikings to take Ponder @ #12 overall, but if that's the guy that the franchise is the most confident in to be their quarterback, who's to fault them for not risking the chance of him being drafted by another team after passing him up? Only time will tell if it was worth the risk, but now we have evidence that there were definitely other teams interested in taking him around that area. Who really cares if Kiper thinks he was a second round talent? It just matters if it works out.

Still relevant being that the Bears nabbed Nathan Enderle. lol.

It's been well documented that Mike Martz has been a big fan of Enderle during this whole draft process. I don't think the Bears were interested in Ponder unless his draft stock took a severe hit and they could have drafted him outside of the first two rounds. (Which obviously wasn't going to happen)

Ponder was a hot prospect and I think a lot of teams were secretly hoping he'd fall to them. But the stupid Vikings stole him...he's got a great setup around him there though. Good chance to do very well.

Edited by RANGA

Ponder didn't touch the potential he was expected to reach in college, not to mention, he finished his career on the shelf w/injury. Meanwhile, Cam Newton ran his way to a ton of highlights, a Heisman, and a Nat'l Title. It's pretty obvious that a lot of draft stock to the average analyst is determined by what happens on the collegiate playing field....and moreso than the more relevant shit that is conducted by pro teams & scouts, prior to the draft actually taking place.

I'm not huge on Ponder at pick 12, I wouldn't have done it...but I'm not a scout & I understand why the Vikings felt as though they needed to make the pick. If Christian Ponder is putting up solid performances in Buffalo or Miami in 2011, Minnesota would have been crticized for passing on him, given the great need for a quarterback. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. One thing I am comfortable about in Ponder is the situation. He's going into a great situation and an offensive system that best suits his knowlege and ability. As we all know, there's times where certain quarterbacks have the talent but they just never find the right situation or end up going through a zillion coaching changes...having to learn a new scheme with each.

I always have a problem with people claiming a team "reached" on a pick when you have no fucking idea where the other 31 teams had that player ranked on their board. I mean, really...nobody gives a flying ratshit where YOU had him on "your board" :rolleyes: or where Mel or Todd or even Mayock had them ranked. They're TV people and we're a bunch of rubes on the Interwebs.

I always have a problem with people claiming a team "reached" on a pick when you have no fucking idea where the other 31 teams had that player ranked on their board. I mean, really...nobody gives a flying ratshit where YOU had him on "your board" :rolleyes: or where Mel or Todd or even Mayock had them ranked. They're TV people and we're a bunch of rubes on the Interwebs.

Alright, we'll just get rid of the NFL Draft forum then since we're not allowed to have opinions that differ from what the NFL teams may have been thinking.

Alright, we'll just get rid of the NFL Draft forum then since we're not allowed to have opinions that differ from what the NFL teams may have been thinking.

:rofl: Wow...could you possibly fucking overreact anymore than what you just did? Sorry Broseph. ALL HAIL MOCK DRAFTS ON TEH INTERWEBS MADE BY FANS!!

You can have your precious opinion, but to think you know 1/1,000,000th that actual NFL GMs, coaches, and scouts do, is quite possibly the the single most absurd thing ever.

The second most absurd thing ever is how you're so butthurt over me not giving a half a fuck about your mock draft, or anybody's, Mel, Todd, and Mike's included, that you respond in such a bitchy manner. But yeah, now that you suggest it...get rid of that shit.

You can't reach on your Franchise QB, if you take him 12th overall and he gets to the playoffs year in and year out, I don't see the problem. If the Vikings think Chad Pennington 2.0 can lead the franchise, they should've pull the trigger, and if it pans out they look like the smart ones. I don't thnk it's that big of a reach since in most of my mocks, I had him going to the Jags at 16.