Favre4Ever

Phil Ivey Sits Out World Series, Sues Full Tilt

Phil Ivey says he's sitting out the World Series of Poker and is suing Tiltware, the software and marketing provider for Full Tilt Poker, over its failure to reimburse online player accounts in the wake of the federal online poker sting.

"I am deeply disappointed and embarrassed that Full Tilt players have not been paid money they are owed. I am equally embarrassed that as a result many players cannot compete in tournaments and have suffered economic harm," Ivey, who has played online on Full Tilt and appeared in the company's TV commercials, said in a statement posted on his website.

"I am not playing in the World Series of Poker as I do not believe it is fair that I compete when others cannot. I am doing everything I can to seek a solution to the problem as quickly as possible," he said.

Ivey, widely regarded as one of the game's best players, has won eight WSOP bracelets and $5.3 million at the annual tournament in Las Vegas.

In an entry on his Twitter page, Tom Dwan, another prominent poker pro associated with Full Tilt, said that he would play in the WSOP, which started Tuesday.

The entry on Dwan's Twitter page said: "I'll be playing wsop. Feel fine about that morally b/c I've already said I'll give back 100% I was paid by ftp if players aren't paid in full"

Dwan was ranked sixth in ESPN.com's most recent poker player ratings. Ivey was No. 2, behind Erik Seidel.

Full Tilt was one of three online sites shut down by the FBI in an April crackdown on online gambling. Two other poker sites, PokerStars and Absolute Poker, were shut down and 11 people were indicted on charges they tricked banks into illegally processing payments for gambling.

PokerStars and Full Tilt subsequently reached agreements with federal officials to reopen their domain names in order to repay players. While PokerStars has announced it has repaid players, a message on the Full Tilt Poker site advises users that it's still working on returning their money.

"Please know that your funds are safe and secure and we are working to resolve the distribution of these funds," the site says.

Ivey said he wasn't waiting any longer and decided to take action.

"My name and reputation have been dragged through the mud, through the inactivity and indecision of others, and on behalf of all poker players I refuse to remain silent any longer," Ivey said. "I have electronically filed a lawsuit against Tiltware related to the unsettled player accounts. As I am sure the public can imagine, this was not an easy decision for me.

"I wholeheartedly refuse to accept non-action as to repayment of players funds and I am angered that people who have supported me throughout my career have been treated so poorly," he said.

"I sincerely hope this statement will ignite those capable of resolving the problems into immediate action," he added.

ESPN

Wow, that blows. No Ivey in the WSOP this year... .:(

An that is why I like Ivey so much on the table he plays mind games off it he is a down to earth legit person and that is the way it should be. Respect to him.

Phil Ivey is the fucking MAN!!!!

Yes

Mucho props to that guy.

Fulltilt still has not paid my brother his winnings

He will most likely still be playing in the WSOP circuit

Props to Ivey for making a stand

Poker is not something I follow very closely, so I'm kind of confused about the stings. Considering all the advertising going into online gambling, I thought it was all legit. What was the purpose of the crackdowns?

Since when was everyone at TGP such a big WSOP fan lol?

Edited by Maverick

Companies are allowed to advertise FREE gambling games. Most companies in turn offer two versions of their product, a free one and a paid one. They advertise their free one but the paid one has more advantages and whatnot. But as of 2006 Online Gambling has been illegal throughout the US. These companies usually operate in other countries so it's hard to crackdown on them. In fact, a couple years ago Antigua accused the US of unfair trade practices to the WTO because the US considered internet gambling illegal.

But the main purpose was to stop US customers from sending money to outside countries for gambling.

Interesting. I learned something new.

Interesting. I learned something new.

Glad I could help. :D

Unless Ivey were to final table the Main Event, it's not like he's really losing out on any money by sitting out of the WSOP. He makes most of his money in the big cash games, prop/side bets, and out on the golf course. What he's doing is respectable, but he's only missing out on ESPN's television exposure.

Now Norm can't pick Ivey this year. :(