Sign in to follow this  
JetsFan4Life

NHL Free Agency/Trade Thread

With free agency about a week away I thought it was a good time to create this thread, especially with trades starting up. First big one is that Jeff Carter is heading to Columbus.

Also looks like the Flyers will be moving Mike Richards to the Kings as well. Definitely trying to create cap space to sign Bryzgalov.

I am totally thrilled with what the Flyers did today. Got tremendous value on both trades, got younger, acquired some draft picks, and we finally got ourselves a goaltender!

Simmonds and the Flyers is a good match imo, he plays with the same toughness that you would expect and for the grinder type role he does gets a good amount of points.

Man I wonder if we made a move at carter. I understand that Philly wanted him out of the conference but I would've loved him.

Can't say I know anything about Robyn Regehr though. I wonder what we'll give up for him if he comes.

Panthers have been spending like crazy. Traded for Campbell, now signed Jovanovski and Upshaw, as well as Theodore.

Jagr to the Flyers for 3.3 million...

Panthers need to spend a lot of money to get to the salary cap floor.

I've loved what the sabres have done so far. While I obviously hope we can get Richards, I'm sure Darcy has a backup plan in case he goes elsewhere.

Sorry for the double post.

Edited by blotsfan

Talbot joins Jagr in Philly, 5 years/9 mil.

Bruins have a ton of cap space and we don't do anything yesterday besides sign Benoit bust Pouliot?

There better be another move on the way.

Edited by BradyFan81

Brad Richards is off the market. The big fish among this year's crop of free agents has reportedly agreed to a nine-year contract Saturday to play for the New York Rangers.

TSN's Darren Dreger is reporting Richards' deal has an average annual value of $6.5 million.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=568285

Damn, that's a really nice acquisition for them.

While I obviously would've like Richards on the Sabres, I gotta give props to management for realizing that he pretty much had already made up his mind and not wasting time waiting for his decision. Leino was the best option for us in free agency other than Richards and I don't think he'd still be available today.

Big move by the Rangers to sign Richards. The East is gonna be fun to watch this year...

I feel like Pittsburgh when healthy is the best team in the East. Crosby and Malkin are just so good. From there you have a couple teams I think you can group together in Washington, Philly, Boston, and Tampa, MAYBE Montreal. I'll take a wait and see approach with the Rangers to see just how much Richards improves their team, also expecting the Devils to be much improved this year.

I feel like Pittsburgh when healthy is the best team in the East. Crosby and Malkin are just so good. From there you have a couple teams I think you can group together in Washington, Philly, Boston, and Tampa, MAYBE Montreal. I'll take a wait and see approach with the Rangers to see just how much Richards improves their team, also expecting the Devils to be much improved this year.

No Buffalo at all?

1. Boston

2. Pittsburgh

3. Buffalo

4. Tampa

Then a toss up with NYR, PHI, NJ, and MTL. That's how I see it anyway.

1. Boston

2. Pittsburgh

3. Buffalo

4. Tampa

Then a toss up with NYR, PHI, NJ, and MTL. That's how I see it anyway.

Very rarely do you see teams repeat. I don't see Boston making it that far again.

1. Pittsburgh

2. Boston

3. N.Y. Rangers

4. Buffalo

5. Tampa

6. Philadelphia

7. New Jersey

8. Montreal

I'm just saying they're the best team in the East heading into next year.

I dunno man. I wonder what the playoffs would have been like this year if Pittsburgh had been healthy.

Believe me, as a Pens fan, I do too. But we can't speculate. Also, Thomas was definitely good enough to stonewall even a healthy Pens team.

Very rarely do you see teams repeat. I don't see Boston making it that far again.

1. Pittsburgh

2. Boston

3. N.Y. Rangers

4. Buffalo

5. Tampa

6. Philadelphia

7. New Jersey

8. Montreal

I like the Devils love but I don't see us making out this year. Unless Larsson really impresses in his first season our defense is still crap. Although I also want to see who we get as our coach. You really don't think Washington is a Top 8 team with the acquisition of Vokoun?

Now that we're in the off-season, JF4L, we can look at the bright side of Parise being out for the whole season basically....we'll get to keep him. Or so I hope, at least. I feel if he played awesome hockey this whole season like we expect him to, we wouldn't be able to keep him around because of Kovalchuk's money.

Blessing in disguise....or something like that, ha.

Edited by Maverick

Andrew Ladd plans to file for arbitration if he can't reach a deal with the Winnipeg Jets soon.

"We've been talking almost every day since the draft about trying to come to a long-term agreement, but we haven't been able to do that yet," J.P. Barry, Ladd's agent, said. "We expect to keep trying, but if not, we'll likely file tomorrow and keep negotiating." Ladd's arbitration date will probably be scheduled for late July or early August. We'll keep you posted. Source: Sportsnet.ca

Lets get a deal done here.

San Jose has traded Dany Heatley to Minnesota for Martin Havlat.

A blockbuster trade to cap off a whirlwind week of player movement in hockey. Heatley appeared in 162 games for San Jose over two seasons, posting 146 points (65 goals, 81 assists) during his tenure. While his play in the post-season left a lot to be desired, we didn't see this one coming, especially for a player with an extensive injury history in Havlat. Heatley has stagnated in San Jose just as he did in Ottawa. Although we are skeptical, perhaps another fresh start is what the winger needs. That said, he will struggle unless he is teamed with Mikko Koivu. Related: Mikko Koivu, Martin HavlatSource: Bob McKenzie on Twitter

San Jose has acquired Martin Havlat from Minnesota for Dany Heatley.

Havlat heads out west in a swap of 30-year-old forwards. The veteran notched 62 points (22 goals, 40 assists) in 78 regular season games in 2010, which tied for the team lead. Said Sharks Executive VP and GM Doug Wilson, "Marty is a player that we have had an interest in for a long time. He can play either wing and brings creativity and breakaway speed to our group of top-six forwards. We are excited about the versatility he adds to our lineup." Havlat will benefit from the move as he will likely get the chance to play alongside Joe Thornton or Joe Pavelski. As long as he stays healthy, and that is not a sure thing, we believe Havlat can approach the 75-point mark in 2011-12. Related: Dany HeatleySource: Bob McKenzie on Twitter

Big time trade.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

The salary cap rising is the worst thing that could've happened to the league this year. NONE of these contracts signed on July 1st were of fair value. I mean c'mon 6 years 27 million for Leino? A guy with 29 CAREER goals? And what the Panthers did is just amazing, I realize they had to do it but my god are those terrible contracts. And later on down the line when it's time for a new CBA you can bet your ass that the owners will be crying foul about these "inflated" contracts and shit. I GUARANTEE you that will happen.

Kaberle to Carolina, fair deal. Have to wonder if his brother Frantiscek put in a good word about the Canes and that made Tomas' decision easier.

Edited by Brownage

The salary cap rising is the worst thing that could've happened to the league this year. NONE of these contracts signed on July 1st were of fair value. I mean c'mon 6 years 27 million for Leino? A guy with 29 CAREER goals? And what the Panthers did is just amazing, I realize they had to do it but my god are those terrible contracts. And later on down the line when it's time for a new CBA you can bet your ass that the owners will be crying foul about these "inflated" contracts and shit. I GUARANTEE you that will happen.

Kaberle to Carolina, fair deal. Have to wonder if his brother Frantiscek put in a good word about the Canes and that made Tomas' decision easier.

The salary cap raises based on NHL revenue...

I like the Devils love but I don't see us making out this year. Unless Larsson really impresses in his first season our defense is still crap. Although I also want to see who we get as our coach. You really don't think Washington is a Top 8 team with the acquisition of Vokoun?

The Devils will be fine. Did you forget how we ended the season once Maclean was fired? Tallinder was way more comfortable. Taormina was also our second best d-man besides White before he got hurt and we're getting him back. Volchenkov was a rock once he came back from injury. Greene had a solid end as well and he can play major minutes, or thrive in a second pair role. Our defensive strength is in the prospects, and the problem is they were too young to play last year. There are too many good players to not have 2 out of the pool of Gelinas, Urbom, Fayne, Taormina, Larsson, and Burlon to make the big club and make a big impact.

And as Maverick said, our arguably best forward is coming back. If Josefson can develop into the playmaker we need to pass to Kovalchuk, we suddenly are WAY deep in the scoring department.