Sign in to follow this  
sweetness34

Netflix prices up 60%

I'm not sure how many of you use netflix, but I know I'm canceling. I was paying $10 a month for streaming and 1 dvd out at a time. Now they are making everyone pay for the streaming separate so my old plan will now cost $16 a month. I know I'm not paying that much more for shitty B and C quality streaming videos.

Jessie Becker, here to share two significant changes at Netflix with you.

First, we are launching new DVD only plans. These plans offer our lowest prices ever for unlimited DVDs – only $7.99 a month for our 1 DVD out at-a-time plan and $11.99 a month for our 2 DVDs out at-a-time plan. By offering our lowest prices ever, we hope to provide great value to our current and future DVDs by mail members. New members can sign up for these plans by going to DVD.netflix.com.

Second, we are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into separate plans to better reflect the costs of each and to give our members a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan or the option to subscribe to both. With this change, we will no longer offer a plan that includes both unlimited streaming and DVDs by mail.

So for instance, our current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month

Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming), for $7.99 a month.

The price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). For new members, these changes are effective immediately; for existing members, the new pricing will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

Why the changes?

Last November when we launched our $7.99 unlimited streaming plan, DVDs by mail was treated as a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan. At the time, we didn’t anticipate offering DVD only plans. Since then we have realized that there is still a very large continuing demand for DVDs both from our existing members as well as non-members. Given the long life we think DVDs by mail will have, treating DVDs as a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan neither makes great financial sense nor satisfies people who just want DVDs. Creating an unlimited DVDs by mail plan (no streaming) at our lowest price ever, $7.99, does make sense and will ensure a long life for our DVDs by mail offering. Reflecting our confidence that DVDs by mail is a long-term business for us, we are also establishing a separate and distinct management team solely focused on DVDs by mail, led by Andy Rendich, our Chief Service and Operations Officer and an 11 year veteran of Netflix.

Now we offer a choice: Unlimited Streaming for $7.99 a month, Unlimited DVDs for $7.99 a month, or both for $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). We think $7.99 is a terrific value for our unlimited streaming plan and $7.99 a terrific value for our unlimited DVD plan. We hope one, or both, of these plans makes sense for our members and their entertainment needs.

As always, our members can easily choose to change or cancel their unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both by visiting Your Account.

That's an extra $72 a year I'd have to pay, I can buy a lot of redbox nights with that.

I have a grocery store literally right behind my apartment that has one, use it all the time. I'm not sure if it still works, but the promo code DVDONME has gotten me at least 10 free movies

We also get the $10/month sub right now. We're not sure what we are doing now. We for sure won't be paying for both, but we may do one or the other. I would just do Redbox but there have been a lot of issues with people getting their debit/credit card info stolen from using them.

or you can just pirate DVDs/Blu-Rays off the interwebz :shrug:

Edited by funnygunny
  • Upvote 2

Netflix raised its prices by a small margin a few months ago and I let it go. This is a pretty significant change, though; I might have to jump on the Redbox bandwagon.

They should AT THE VERY LEAST give a small discount for people who are getting both, instead of just fucking stacking the prices.

Netflix is going down the shitter, I think.

First they get rid of their awesome community features... So you get less for your money.

Then they raise prices slightly...

Now they jack up the price(s).

:sigh:

I want to start a site exactly like Netflix, except better and cheaper.

My dad has it and I use it so I'll see what he does. If he gets rid of it it won't be the end of the world for me.

Which I have been doing more of, buti don't dl...just streaming. Now that I have an hdmi cable I've been hooking it up to my tv. Netflix was just convenient because I can doit on my iPad too. But all in all im not going to miss it too much, ive been using it less and less lately

I love(d) Netflix and I've been a subscriber for a little over a year. I will be dropping them before they get the chance to charge me that $15.98 or so a month. I LOVE Netflix, it's a very useful and very well executed until now of course.. :facepalm:.

They also charge a $2 fee for Blue-ray movies. At one point, when they raised their prices, I was paying $17 a month for unlimited streaming and 2 DVD or Bluerays out at a time. I decided to cancel the discs and just stick to streaming. While I like that I can get Netflix on my PS3, PC and phone, honestly their content sucks now. The movies and shows available for streaming are all old as fuck. Nothing new. It's good if there is an older TV show or movie you want to see again but for the latest 'hits' forget about it.

I'm thinking of just canceling. It's hard because I've been with them for 4 years now but I find myself barely using them.

I'll just be cancelling the DVD sub then. We use the streaming throughout my house pretty much daily between the 5 of us.

I've had a dvd sitting on my desk for more than a month...I typically just use Redbox for new releases anyway. (They also raised their rates, but only about 20 cents per night)

Edited by Krawnka

I have a feeling that this won't last long, their has been a huge outpoor of negative comments towards this. A lot of people are canceling. If netflix takes a big hit from this, I can see them dropping rates and begging for people to come back. It would be a different story if they were adding to their services, but over the past year it's gone up $8 and nothing new and awesome has been added.

They keep taking stuff away and then asking for more money... They are lucky I can't find an e-mail on their site, because I would destroy them.

download2.jpg

I don't steal!

download2.jpg

I don't steal!

if i could download a car, I would

I've been seeing movie studios and record companies going hard after people lately for pirating. I know they are millions or people on P2P but it has made be a bit more cautious lately.

I think I might start trying Redbox.

They have to make money somehow... Still better than going to a theater.

• Upvote 1

I've been seeing movie studios and record companies going hard after people lately for pirating. I know they are millions or people on P2P but it has made be a bit more cautious lately.

I think I might start trying Redbox.

I feel ya, I've been caught twice by my cable company, the second time they shut my internet off. I had to call to have it reactivated. They said the third time they were cutting me off for good.

I use this now when torrenting,

http://download.cnet.com/PeerBlock/3000-10435_4-75328692.html

But I don't torrent movies or tv shows anymore.

I just do streaming online with this site: http://www.tv-links.eu/

that's a great resource right there, pretty much any movie or tv show.

They have to make money somehow... Still better than going to a theater.

Not really. Your better off with On Demand content if you pick only streaming. The content will probably be around the same.

They keep taking stuff away and then asking for more money... They are lucky I can't find an e-mail on their site, because I would destroy them.

publicrelations@netflix.com

Go for it.

I feel ya, I've been caught twice by my cable company, the second time they shut my internet off. I had to call to have it reactivated. They said the third time they were cutting me off for good.

I use this now when torrenting,

http://download.cnet.com/PeerBlock/3000-10435_4-75328692.html

But I don't torrent movies or tv shows anymore.

I just do streaming online with this site: http://www.tv-links.eu/

that's a great resource right there, pretty much any movie or tv show.

It's funny you mention that. I was actually about to download a TV show from a torrent site and one of the comments mentioned that everyone should use PeerBlock. So I downloaded it yesterday and it seems like a good program to have. It was crazy to see the amount of servers trying to request permission from my computer.

Good find. I recommend everyone download this program, whether you stream online or download.

Edited by KiLaSix9

I've been with Netflix for three years but just cancelled my subscription.

Fuck me once, shame on you. Fuck me twice, shame on me.