Sign in to follow this  
BoneKrusher

What? No Cell Phone

Honestly, we just need to slow the hell down. For some reason, our country believes that it has to be working on all cylinders 24 hours a day. That pisses me off. The only "businesses" that should be open 24 hours a day are healthcare facilities and law enforcement agencies.

This is something I really learned when I spent a month in Africa last summer. Where I was, nobody had a tv, most didn't even have electricity. But yet they were much happier than the people here in America. At night time you would plop down by a fire with random strangers and tell stories and bullshit until you were tired and wanted to go to sleep. It was the life. Coming back to the States was hell.

I would love to ha, my friends tell me that shit all the time. But it's how my dad is and he engrained it into my head. But I do chill a lot more when I'm where I am now, at my apartment away from home. But still, my dad calls me and if I don't have a valid thing that I am doing at that exact second, I get a lecture. I have to make shit up all the time ha

I dunno, man. I like what your dad has done. Too much downtime leads to lethargy and an inactive nature that leads to much worse things. I prefer downtime on Sundays and Sundays only, because that's the perfect balance.

lol

ya, can you imagine your dad trying GFX?

That's what I thought haha. My dad is 44.

Couldn't imagine him doing anything other than taxes and checking his stocks on the computer.

You say my generation is lazier but high school dropout rates are at an all time low. Yes we use technology but we also have access to a world of information previously unavailable. Just because your little brother isn't capable of handling video games doesn't mean you should blame the games. You should blame the kid. The vast majority of people who play those games are perfectly capable of handling it, they just don't make for a good story.

And as for your social network rant, you think the bullying on those sites is bad? Well I'll tell you about something thats worse: Actual bullying. I'd take someone calling me a fag online over someone beating me up any day. Those sites only expose the information that people put up on there. If they aren't capable of handling it, thats their fault.

Ok, that takes care of most of the stupidity of that post. Now on to the next gem.

So you think that businesses only open for 24 hours a day because its fun? You don't think that a store would be happy to not have to pay employees to work the night shift while getting the same revenues? Don't complain about job loss and then demand that companies undergo a policy that would destroy tons of jobs.

Great. Glad you enjoy your life on the farm. Sorry that in the real world, stuff can need to be done at specific times. Thats why "big business" can make you work certain hours. If its really that bad, you always have the option of quitting. Also, that family life stuff is bullshit. My dad worked plenty of overnight and 24 hour shifts and my family found a way to adjust. I think a company that lets you make money helps family life a lot more than one that gives you all the free time in the world.

And as for the moral code being ruined, fuck you. You are no different than all the people who said that rock and roll would destroy the morals of america. Every generation loves to tell itself that the next one has no morals and is worse blah blah blah. Heres a newsflash: People don't change. Some are good, some are bad. Sure there are aesthetic differences, but when it comes down to basic morality, every generation is the same as the last.

Dropout rates are at an all-time low because it takes practically nothing to graduate from high school anymore. I'm part of your generation, remember (only 22). High school was a fucking cake walk.

Bullying is bullying regardless of where it takes place. There's nothing wrong with my view on that.

I'm sad to see another person who finds it perfectly acceptable that big business requires 24 hour run-time. There's no reason we couldn't make an allotted 14-16 hours per day enough time to get whatever "needs" to be done, done. They don't run people overnight because they have to, they run people overnight because they're greedy. Enough people would come in during those hours to make up for whatever that 10pm-6am window brings in for customers. I mean, for Christ's sake, you can't tell me Wal-mart can't be open 6am-10pm and actually put more than two cashiers on duty. Fuck. Could keep the same amount of employees.

You make a point about not blaming the games and technology, but kids are easily manipulated by whatever entertains them. You cannot deny that, during their childhood/young adult years, the games are just as responsible as the kid is. When it gets to be college students who do nothing but game, that's just a lack of maturity and an overall lack of comprehension of what being an adult entitles.

Moral code? I'm not blaming the younger generation for that, I'm blaming all of humanity. The way I see it, the prior generations are responsible for the newest. You don't think we're regressing as a society? Come on, man. Look around. Watch people run to the nearest store to spend money they don't have on the newest gadget. Every 2 years, watch people run to that voting booth to vote for whoever ran the more vicious smear campaign. Casey Anthony will walk free.

What more do you need?

Edited by BwareDWare94

Dropout rates are at an all-time low because it takes practically nothing to graduate from high school anymore. I'm part of your generation, remember (only 22). High school was a fucking cake walk.

Bullying is bullying regardless of where it takes place. There's nothing wrong with my view on that.

I'm sad to see another person who finds it perfectly acceptable that big business requires 24 hour run-time. There's no reason we couldn't make an allotted 14-16 hours per day enough time to get whatever "needs" to be done, done. They don't run people overnight because they have to, they run people overnight because they're greedy. Enough people would come in during those hours to make up for whatever that 10pm-6am window brings in for customers. I mean, for Christ's sake, you can't tell me Wal-mart can't be open 6am-10pm and actually put more than two cashiers on duty. Fuck. Could keep the same amount of employees.

You make a point about not blaming the games and technology, but kids are easily manipulated by whatever entertains them. You cannot deny that, during their childhood/young adult years, the games are just as responsible as the kid is. When it gets to be college students who do nothing but game, that's just a lack of maturity and an overall lack of comprehension of what being an adult entitles.

Moral code? I'm not blaming the younger generation for that, I'm blaming all of humanity. The way I see it, the prior generations are responsible for the newest. You don't think we're regressing as a society? Come on, man. Look around. Watch people run to the nearest store to spend money they don't have on the newest gadget. Every 2 years, watch people run to that voting booth to vote for whoever ran the more vicious smear campaign. Casey Anthony will walk free.

What more do you need?

I'm sorry. I didn't know you had experience managing a store. Because the people who own Walmarts don't try to make money, they try to ruin society. If they're greedy and keep the store open 24/7, then that means it must be more profitable, or else it wouldn't be greed that motivates them to do it. Yes, they could be open from 6-10 and have more cashiers working, but why should they? They aren't in the business of hiring cashiers, they're in the business of making money. Also, I happen to work at Walmart and in my orientation there were plenty of people who specifically applied for the overnight shift. Believe it or not but not everyone has the same set of values as you. So really, Walmart being open 24/7 helps employees have more time to decide when they want to work.

Kids not wanting to good off instead of work is way older than video games. Maybe without video games they'd be a college student who does nothing but drink or smoke pot or watch sports or whatever. Taking away video games doesn't mean that the only other option is working.

And as for your "proof" that we have no moral code you show: people wanting to buy stuff irresponsibly, something the roaring 20s was known for. Campaigns based on underhanded techniques rather than purely the issues, which are about as old as our country. And a murderer going free. Well, we believe in innocent until proven guilty and the prosecutors failed to do prove her guilty according to the standards to our constitution. None of those things are particularly good, but it doesn't mean we have no morals.

I'm sorry. I didn't know you had experience managing a store. Because the people who own Walmarts don't try to make money, they try to ruin society. If they're greedy and keep the store open 24/7, then that means it must be more profitable, or else it wouldn't be greed that motivates them to do it. Yes, they could be open from 6-10 and have more cashiers working, but why should they? They aren't in the business of hiring cashiers, they're in the business of making money. Also, I happen to work at Walmart and in my orientation there were plenty of people who specifically applied for the overnight shift. Believe it or not but not everyone has the same set of values as you. So really, Walmart being open 24/7 helps employees have more time to decide when they want to work.

Kids not wanting to good off instead of work is way older than video games. Maybe without video games they'd be a college student who does nothing but drink or smoke pot or watch sports or whatever. Taking away video games doesn't mean that the only other option is working.

And as for your "proof" that we have no moral code you show: people wanting to buy stuff irresponsibly, something the roaring 20s was known for. Campaigns based on underhanded techniques rather than purely the issues, which are about as old as our country. And a murderer going free. Well, we believe in innocent until proven guilty and the prosecutors failed to do prove her guilty according to the standards to our constitution. None of those things are particularly good, but it doesn't mean we have no morals.

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree. There are two sides to every argument.

There's an unfortunate flip side to the technology, and it comes with a decrease in jobs.

You no longer go to the store and find a cashier in every checkout lane. They've been replaced by automatic checkout centers.

Banks do everything to encourage you not to walk into the building. They want you banking from the outside through automated teller machines and online transactions. The number of bank tellers has decreased, just as it has in other customer service jobs.

Technology has an effect on postal workers, with electronic mail becoming the first choice. Fewer personal letters and paperless billing leads to a reduction in the postal staff.

Newspapers take a big hit, with everyone getting it online. It's a trickle down effect that moves from the top all the way down to the actually printing departments. Layoffs at major papers across the country have been evident.

Couriers are nearly non existent. Once upon a time, you hired a courier and he took a document from one location to be signed at another and returned. Now you just fax the document, the other party signs it, and the document with the signature is faxed back.

When I go to my local Jack in the Box, I have the option of placing my order with the cashier or using my debit or credit card to place the order with a machine 5 feet away from him or her.

The list could go on and on, but technology has created fewer jobs, and more competition for existing jobs. That's the package deal that comes with the new gadgets for today's youth. And the rising cost of college tuition doesn't make it any easier for them to take a step ahead of their peers in the game.

This is the best post in this thread; 100 percent truth.

For as easy as we have it with gadgets, we should all be concerned that it will be very difficult to make a living in this country in ten years.. The problem with unemployment isn't going to improve anytime soon. The progress and improvements in technology is only resulting in job reduction and outsourcing.

The baby boomer generation NEVER had a time where people were as pessimistic about the future economy of the country as we are now (and rightfully so). I hate to say it, but I honestly believe it's only down hill from here for this country... and it can all be explained by the elimination of the tollbooth-worker in favor of electronic pre-paid tolls.

Big companies stay open longer to make money and profit so they can pay their employees and if they don't make profit then they can't pay their employees therefore they go under and no one has a job. Bware if your brother got moody and lazy because of the video games thats his own damm problem and nobody else. Video games should be done in moderation like anything else.

Please never use "in the real world" as a phrase. The world one knows is relative to a persons age, social standing, location, etc. "In the real world, Dingos eat people's babies, in the real world, sharks are going extinct, in the real world people are masturbating because it feels good." A young child in school really only knows school, that's their world and it's undeniably real.

That annoying tangent aside, there isn't enough to go around, and there are too many people who want more than they deserve. Capitalism is the system of gross inequality, and only the talented and lucky will make it. As technology improves, there becomes less need for a service industry, why pay someone when you can have a robot do the exact same thing with no attitude issues, no vacation time, nothing that can detract from a profit margin.

I think its kind of funny when older people get mad at younger people for what their generation gave us.

Not trying to bash you BK I'm just sayin. :wink:

no prob Titans

i was just tryin to be funny. :biggrin:

So now we need to slow down technological advances in order to save jobs? How about training people better? Or having people educate themselves and get a degree? I'm glad I have the option of scanning my own items at a Costco and checking myself out. It beats waiting in line for some lazy ass person to take their time and doing it with an attitude just because they hate their job.

Honestly, we just need to slow the hell down. For some reason, our country believes that it has to be working on all cylinders 24 hours a day. That pisses me off. The only "businesses" that should be open 24 hours a day are healthcare facilities and law enforcement agencies.

Unfortunately this country does run 24 hours a day now, just about every company has night shifts, and even graveyard shifts, thus requiring support companies to remain open 24 hours for the night shift people's needs. I worked nights throughout my 20's it was great, because I was a partying type, now I work days because I'm an old fogie type.

I would love to ha, my friends tell me that shit all the time. But it's how my dad is and he engrained it into my head. But I do chill a lot more when I'm where I am now, at my apartment away from home. But still, my dad calls me and if I don't have a valid thing that I am doing at that exact second, I get a lecture. I have to make shit up all the time ha

Sounds to me like you were raised old school, and I salute your father for doing so, and I salute you for actually wanting to earn what you want, instead of feeling entitled like so many of the younger generation do. Your generation needs more people like you.

Unfortunately this country does run 24 hours a day now, just about every company has night shifts, and even graveyard shifts, thus requiring support companies to remain open 24 hours for the night shift people's needs. I worked nights throughout my 20's it was great, because I was a partying type, now I work days because I'm an old fogie type.

Yeah and its not like this big companies are exploiting and salving people. These people are PAID employees and most companies pay differentials for working late shifts and weekends. Not to mention the overtime.

I agree with you even though I am young. It shocks me how spoiled some kids are. My parents don't allow me to be like that. They've taught my siblings and I to be tough and all.

And for the record...I have used the TV guide paper to find out what is on TV. That didn't go away too long ago, and I still use it once in a while.

Some of these points are true. Some of those overnight cashiers at Wal-mart are real superstars.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some of those overnight cashiers at Wal-mart are real superstars.

:biggrin:

Some of these points are true. Some of those overnight cashiers at Wal-mart are real superstars.

Who the fuck do you think you are to be looking down on people for working an honest living? Yeah its not the best job in the world, but they often have families to feed and are doing their damndest to feed them. You don't have any responsibilities close to that. Your arrogance is pathetic. This is a common theme in your posts so I'll spell it out very clearly:

YOU ARE NOT SUPERIOR TO ANYONE

Please try to get that through your head. You'll be a much better person for it.

• Upvote 1

You speak for yourself but I have some friends who legitimately tried to get through high school. I mean tried harder than me and others. Just because people like you and myself had an easy time with it doesn't mean anything. And I don't know about the whole "school was tougher then." Kids are learning things a lot earlier now than back then, hell even ten years ago.

Also where do you live North Dakota? Not to be a dick but the education system in places like North Dakota or places in the south is much different than a place like New York.

I know plenty of people who love the midnight shift. Factories love to have a midnight shift to keep shipments movement not stop (which by the way helps business). And where are these people supposed to go right before work or something or during their lunch break? They shouldn't be not allowed a lot of rights of the day and afternoon workers. If you got rid of midnight shifts everywhere, this country would be in a much worse shape than it is now.

Casey Anthony will walk free.

This is arguably the dumbest thing you've ever said on this forum. What the hell does Casey Anthony walking free have to do with OUR moral code? It is based on something in the constiution, which was written well over 200 years ago by the way saying innocent until PROVEN guilty. Blame the moral code of the late 1700's then for saying "well we really should let murderers get a fair shake in the courts." How does that fall on this society?

They couldn't PROVE she did it and how she did it without a shadow of a doubt. That's the flaw with our system FROM THE 1700'S. If anything what your showing is what a lot of America is lacking, a general understanding of how the courts work. Educate yourself.

And for the record 90% of people aren't happy she's walking free so I don't even get what your point is here. :wtf:

• Upvote 1

Yeah and its not like this big companies are exploiting and salving people. These people are PAID employees and most companies pay differentials for working late shifts and weekends. Not to mention the overtime.

I am hoping this is sarcasm, but I can't tell. So, if it is, just ignore the following response.

Just because the individuals don't live in this country, doesn't mean they are not being worked to death or slaved. Walmart literally has camps in close relation to the Nazi Concentration camps... Working people 20 hours a day for a little to no wage at all.

Walmart: The High Cost of Low Prices

Check it out before you make such a ridiculous claim.

EDIT: Oh.. And don't take this post as agreeing w/ farm boy Bware. That isn't the case.

Edited by Shaq

The only relation I could see to the Casey Anthony case, is that the country is shifting more and more towards a emotionally driven society vs. one based in logic and facts...but even that may be a stretch.

From my understanding the prosecution was relying heavily on people's emotions and circumstantial evidence....yet the jury voted "not guilty" based on lack of factual evidence...

So even my argument is flawed on that....

Edited by Krawnka

The only relation I could see to the Casey Anthony case, is that the country is shifting more and more towards a emotionally driven society vs. one based in logic and facts...but even that may be a stretch.

From my understanding the prosecution was relying heavily on people's emotions and circumstantial evidence....yet the jury voted "not guilty" based on lack of factual evidence...

So even my argument is flawed on that....

Haha I'd say your argument proves the opposite. The prosecutors tried to rely on emotion and circumstantial evidence and thats why they failed. If anything, the case shows that you need logic and facts to succeed.

Damned double post. The only thing I miss about being a mod is the ability to delete my own posts haha,

Edited by blotsfan

So now we need to slow down technological advances in order to save jobs? How about training people better? Or having people educate themselves and get a degree? I'm glad I have the option of scanning my own items at a Costco and checking myself out. It beats waiting in line for some lazy ass person to take their time and doing it with an attitude just because they hate their job.

Education is the answer for the individual; not the entire society. I'm in college getting an education; I believe I will have a good job some day.

However, this country has 300 million people. Not EVERYONE can have a skilled job. The economy relies on these unskilled positions, such as the toll-booth worker, to ensure almost everybody has a job. Would you agree that unemployment is one of the economy's biggest problems? If so, you have to agree that improvements in technology will result in the demise of our economy. The current problem of unemployment will not improve; it can only regress.

I agree with you though. I prefer checking out my own things at the store; I prefer just driving through the toll with my SunPass; I prefer paying less for goods that were made in China/Korea/Indonesia.

It is a double edged sword.

Edited by Superbowlbuc

Get off your high horse fuck dude. Like Blots said it may be not the best job in the world but a lot of people in North America have family to feed and not everybody has a privilege of going back to mommy and daddy's farm to get work to go and earn some cash.

• Upvote 2