Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Gold Road: A CYOA

B

One more to break the tie.

You propel your body up, so you're lay parallel to the ground beneath. Hoping you can pull up, you spread your wings and just start flapping. It fails miserably, you are a person after all. The ground comes up to suddenly and you close your eyes before impact...

And you suddenly spring out of bed. Your hand instinctively goes to your forehead, but instead of rubbing against your forehead, the cold feel of a metal plate blocks it completely. “Damn.” someone walks into the room with a thick lab coat, and fogged up glasses covering his eyes. “It seems like this device only responded during your REM sleep. How are you feeling?”

“What?” You scratch your head only to see the plate circles your head.

“Damn, it might be short term memory loss. Well you did sign up for this after all so you should know the side effects but now you don't because of the memory thing and...” He shook his head violently, “Anyway, hopefully it's only temporary. I'm gonna ask you a few questions alright, we need to see how bad this is.” The guy in the lab coat walked up closer to you, he couldn't have been much older than you were. Bright lavender eyes could now be seen through the fog of his spectacles.

“What's your name?”

A: Steve

B: Erik

C: Ed

D: John

E: Mike

F: Sean

G: Taylor

G

“Erik.” you reply. “And you're Jet. My memory isn't as bad as you might think, the last thing I remember was eating breakfast yesterday.” You remove the large metal cap from your head and jump off the bed.

“And the date was?” Jet asked, scrawling down some notes in a notepad.

“The 17th,”

“Good, good. That only gives you a 24 hour time frame that you've missed. In any case, I'm sure you want your payment for this. 200 gold pieces, as we agreed upon.” he pulled out a sack of coins from one of his pockets and handed it to you.

“Awesome.” You open the bag and check that everything is there before sliding it into your pocket. “Hey, I'm sure you told me this yesterday, but what exactly are you researching?"

Jet drew a grin, as his research was one of his few loves in the world. “We're trying to find a way to turn people's brain waves into workable energy. So when they sleep they can provide something useful to society. In any case, we still have a bit of work to do, it only worked during REM sleep, and the amount of energy we extracted would be barely enough to power a fan for an hour.”

“At least you got something right? There's no reason to be ashamed of that.” You make sure there aren't any other plugs or electrodes attached to you before you get ready to leave the room.

“Hey hold up a minute.” Jet grabs your shoulder, “You're in the Centro University, not your house. You really should put a shirt on before you leave.” You agree and find your shirt hanging off the foot of the bed. “Now that you're all together, you really should head to work, I'm sure your boss wants to see you. We sent him a letter explaining that you can't do hard physical labour today...”

“...so I'm sure he'll want to see you in person.”

A: You told him I couldn't work?

B: Yeah that makes sense, I'll head there now

C: Wait, I have some more questions.

D: Uh... where do I work again?

A

C

This landmass reminds me of the map in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.

Never actually read the Sword of Truth.

Never actually read the Sword of Truth.

The main map is divided into 3 specific lands (or worlds), so I was just commenting. I wasn't criticizing, by the way. A comparison to one of the better fantasy series' out there never hurts.

Well 3 is more or less a magic number. I didn't take it as a criticism anyhow. I'll start up on the next update.

“Sorry, I've still got a few questions, Jet.”

“You sure you memory isn't off?” Jet scratched his head and pulled out a clipboard. “Might as well cover the obvious, You're Erik Steele, you'll be the eventual heir to the Steele Mining and Metalwork Company. Age eighteen, currently working for one of the shops in Ferrus owned by the company. You're a blacksmith, or at least an apprentice to one. Your personal effects are in the chest by the bed, so you might want to grab those before you head out.”

You peer into the chest and pull out a few things, a wallet with fifty gold pieces laying about, a small retractable knife and a pair of heavy leather gloves. “I was wondering where those were.”

“You ready to go yet? I'd really like to go over this data and...”

You nod, “Yeah, I'm gone. I go north from here right?”

He sighed deeply...

“You need me to go with you?”

A: Yeah sure, I'm still a bit out of it

B: Nah, I'll be fine.

C: You need to go over that data, right?

Edited by RazorStar

B

“Nah I'll be fine.” You speak up. “I know where everything is, so just relax, stay calm, and do what you need to do.” You arise and leave the room. Quickly finding your bearings, you walk past the lacquered hallways, adorned with paintings and portraits of important people and places. You pass by the Great Hall, the entrance of the university itself. Light trickles through a dome shaped skylight, many stories high. You had heard that the skylight was made from a single piece of glass, but the sheer size of the thing made that seem unlikely. Two reception desks stood on either side of the entrance, with a single receptionist on each side. They gave a pleasant greeting as you continued on through the glass doors.

You stretch and take a large breath of fresh air. The hustle of the city is overwhelming for most, but to you, it's simply second nature to weave through the crowds. Simply following your instincts, you head towards the store. Of course, the large signs could not help but draw you to your destination. “Steele Weapons and Tools” In bold print, “Fun for the whole family!”, and then in absolutely fine fine print “Keep out of reach of small children and animals.”

“Never change.” You mutter under your breath. In a matter of minutes you find your destination, it is pretty close to the university after all. Despite the grandeur of the advertisements, this shop is pretty small, usually a single shopkeeper in the front, and one or two smiths in the back. There are larger ones in the city, but the owner of the place is known for his craftmanship and his perfectionism.

You pull the door open, and are greeted with the familiar chime from the doorbell. “Welcome, Steele.” The voice came from the desk up front. A tall hardy man with soot covered skin came to greet you. “I got that letter from the University, says you can't do physical labour for an extended period of time.”

“That's about the gist of it.”

“Well I would have said not to bother coming in to work today, but I do actually have something you can do, if you're interested, that is.” The owner flashed a grin.

“Well...”

A: Just tell me.

B: What is it?

C: Nah, not interested.

D: How does it pay?

B

Let's see if we can get a few more votes in.